Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK PCV Licence

UK PCV Licence

Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

tonyrleach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK PCV Licence

Tried lots of places to find out regarding to my uk bus licence and if it would be changed over in Canada, can anyone help.

Looking to go to either Vancouver or Scot Novia, will I need to retest or can it be changed over, takes 3 years otherwise.

Many thanks in advance

Tony
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Skippy88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK PCV Licence

Hi,

It certainly won't be just exchanged in BC. I have had a car licence for 28 yrs and a HGV for 20yrs. I still have to take an online knowledge test and a road test. If I fail a road test the UK drivers licence is taken away from me until I do pass through a graduated learning program.

This link might be helpfull http://www.icbc.com/licensing/lic_renew_replace_new.asp
it doesnt recognise UK licences as a straight forward swap situation as we drive on the wrong side of the road as it were! Hence we can drive for 90 days on a UK car licence but have to pass the knowledge and road test to get a BC licence.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Hi
If you have a car licence they will only transfer that over, If you have a class 1 truck licence in the uk, you have to restest in canada but in canada if you have a class 1 you can drive a coach on a class one licence.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:49 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vickysteve
Hi
If you have a car licence they will only transfer that over
Not in BC.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Skippy88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Bazzz. Not in BC. I live here now, have been here since January and have taken my knowledge test this week, have to arrange road test soon.