UK Passport

Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

mandyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport

Hi there,

A travel agent has advised me that you have to have at least 6 months left on your passport to be able to visit Canada.

Could anyone please confirm whether this is true? My passport runs out in November, but I'm intending to go to Alberta for one week in September.

Thanks,

Mandy
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport

Standard tourist visa is for 6mths (for a UK visitor), so if your passport doesn't have 6mths validity remaining, it could be an issue.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I think so - most places now require 6 months validity. Better get applying for a new passport pronto
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:43 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it's not actually a requirement for Canada, but it's always best to be careful. Apply for a new passport now, they'll add the extra validity onto the new one anyway.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

I'll get this sorted out as soon as possible.

Mandy
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...20to%20Canada?

According to the London High Commission web-site: Your passport must be valid for one day past your intended leaving date (i.e. your return ticket out)
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/f...20to%20Canada?

According to the London High Commission web-site: Your passport must be valid for one day past your intended leaving date (i.e. your return ticket out)
That's exactly what our immigration lawyer in Montreal advised. As long as it's valid you are in.
I was concerned because I wanted to go to the US to shop and land on my way back in - you definitely need 6 months remaining on your UK passport to enter the US. So we had to renew - but they added on the extra time remaining left on the passport to the new one.

HTH
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
you definitely need 6 months remaining on your UK passport to enter the US. So we had to renew - but they added on the extra time remaining left on the passport to the new one.

HTH
You don't, but you won't get the full 90 days I94W visa waiver if your passport has got <90 days left on it. They'll issue with an expiry date of the date your passport expires. It's not a problem for a short trip See this US consulate page for info - (Dutch, but still applies!)

http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/vis..._program4.html

My passport is not valid for six months. May I still travel visa free?

With the exception of passport holders of Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino, the requirement that a passport be valid for six months beyond the holder's stay in the United States does not apply to citizens of countries eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program, such as the Netherlands. If your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 8th 2008 at 7:35 pm. Reason: Added link
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You don't, but you won't get the full 90 days I94W visa waiver if your passport has got <90 days left on it. They'll issue with an expiry date of the date your passport expires. It's not a problem for a short trip See this US consulate page for info - (Dutch, but still applies!)

http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/vis..._program4.html

My passport is not valid for six months. May I still travel visa free?

With the exception of passport holders of Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino, the requirement that a passport be valid for six months beyond the holder's stay in the United States does not apply to citizens of countries eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program, such as the Netherlands. If your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.
I asked the immigration control officer on entry into the US and he looked it up and said 6 months required for entry. It's a minefield isn't it! If you have the chance, better to be err on the side of caution.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Guys, for all your responses.

Mandy
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
I asked the immigration control officer on entry into the US and he looked it up and said 6 months required for entry. It's a minefield isn't it! If you have the chance, better to be err on the side of caution.
The United States has agreements with certain countries (such as the United Kingdom) to disapply the requirement for a passport to be valid for 6 months after entry to the U.S.

Admission will be limited to the passport validity period.