Reload this Page >

Timeline - Citizenship application to Canadian passport

Timeline - Citizenship application to Canadian passport

Old Aug 8th 2008, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Myazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Timeline - Citizenship application to Canadian passport

Hi,

I have searched online for Timeline information on the following with no luck.

Could anyone who has been throught the process share info...thanks!

1. Citizenship Application submission [for a date say May 15, 2009]
2. Normally in how much time could we get Date for Citizenship Test
3. Normally how long before we get date for the Ceremony - Certificate, Oath etc...
4. How soon after could we submit Passport application.
5. How soon could we receive Canadian passport [I guess normally the passport is mailed out within 7 business days after an in-person application]

I would be eligible for Citizenship in May 2009 and was planning on my "first" vacation outside the country since I came to Canada as a student in 2003.
[phew! time flies]

I want to travel with Canadian Passport as for most countries in Europe and Asia, its "visa upon arrival" for a Canadian passport holder.

Lack of the timeline makes it difficult to plan ahead.

Any info would help...thanks for reading!

Sam
Old Aug 8th 2008, 4:41 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Timeline - Citizenship application to Canadian passport

Originally Posted by Myazzz
I have searched online for Timeline information on the following with no luck.

Could anyone who has been throught the process share info...thanks!

1. Citizenship Application submission [for a date say May 15, 2009]
2. Normally in how much time could we get Date for Citizenship Test
3. Normally how long before we get date for the Ceremony - Certificate, Oath etc...
The timeline varies depending on where you're located, because your local CIC office is involved. It also depends on whether you have to provide fingerprints or additional information to prove residence, as those things can make it take longer.

I applied at the end of October, wrote the test at the end of April, and became a citizen in mid-June. So about eight months from start to finish. My local CIC office was Hamilton.

There have been plenty of timeline threads here and in the immigration forum, so perhaps you need to try searching again.

4. How soon after could we submit Passport application.
As soon as you have your citizenship certificate. The same day as your ceremony if it's early enough in the day.
5. How soon could we receive Canadian passport [I guess normally the passport is mailed out within 7 business days after an in-person application]
Passport Canada say ten business days. Mine took just under a week. I imagine it depends how busy they are.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Myazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
The timeline varies depending on where you're located, because your local CIC office is involved.
Thanks for your response Corn.
I am located in Burlington, Ontario therefore local CIC could be Hamilton...

We recently purchased a house here, so proof of residence is covered, I guess.

Anyways, the procedure and wait seems to be a lengthy one and "it depends". Can't plan anything based on that...darn!
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:53 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myazzz
We recently purchased a house here, so proof of residence is covered, I guess.
proof of residence goes more towards the question "have you been physically present in canada for 1095 days in the four years preceding the application date?"
the purchase of a house doesn't say much about that, does it?
Old Aug 9th 2008, 4:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lof
proof of residence goes more towards the question "have you been physically present in canada for 1095 days in the four years preceding the application date?"
the purchase of a house doesn't say much about that, does it?
Not in itself, no.