Reload this Page >

UK Lawyer wants to work in Canada

UK Lawyer wants to work in Canada

Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Oceanflower is on a distinguished road
Default UK Lawyer wants to work in Canada

Hi.

I'm a UK lawyer and want to come to work in Canada next year. (I have a Canadian passport/citizenship). I understand that I have to apply for accreditation etc before I can work as a Lawyer in Canada, and take some more exams - I've sent off the relevant paperwork.

Are there any British ex-pat lawyers who have successfully transferred, and who now work as Lawyers in Canada? I've been surprised at the level of animosity I've seen on other web-sites against UK legal qualifications.

In the meantime, can any Lawyers give me the titles of any Newspapers/Magazines published in Canada on legal issues? As yet, I know nothing about the legal world in Canada.

Also, is there a publication which sets out a list of all the Law firms in Vancouver, so that I can start writing to a number of them in search of para-legal work, pending my being able to practise as a Lawyer.

I would be grateful for any information at all.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Wink Re: UK Lawyer wants to work in Canada

Originally Posted by Oceanflower
Hi.

I'm a UK lawyer and want to come to work in Canada next year. (I have a Canadian passport/citizenship). I understand that I have to apply for accreditation etc before I can work as a Lawyer in Canada, and take some more exams - I've sent off the relevant paperwork.

Are there any British ex-pat lawyers who have successfully transferred, and who now work as Lawyers in Canada? I've been surprised at the level of animosity I've seen on other web-sites against UK legal qualifications.

In the meantime, can any Lawyers give me the titles of any Newspapers/Magazines published in Canada on legal issues? As yet, I know nothing about the legal world in Canada.

Also, is there a publication which sets out a list of all the Law firms in Vancouver, so that I can start writing to a number of them in search of para-legal work, pending my being able to practise as a Lawyer.

hellllooooooooooooooooooo
i am a UK solicitor living in Vancouver. I am 5 years qualified, in criminal law. This means nothing to NCA. I moved here jan 05.
i have started my studies for the dreaded NCA exams, my first two are in January (i have 6 to do)
I have just started to apply for training contracts.
Firstly, what type of law do you do? If you practice commercial, you are in a better postiton.There are many commercial firms. If you wish to see a training contract with a city firm, your best bet is to contact UBC law school. They have a publictation called the atricling handbook, this lists all the city firms who are recruiting.
If you are like me, doing crime its not so easy. CPS dont train due to budget cuts, so my plan is to write to criminal firms on spec.
The law society here are most unhelpful, they dont have an equivalent of the law gazette, so i contacted the canadian bar association, who were very helpful, its only 20 bucks to join, its a way to make contacts. Thats crucial here. (Just search for canadian bar assoc in and it will come up)
As for our qualifications, they are respected by lawyers, BUT i will be honest, Canadians are very protectionist, thats why NCA maklee it so tough for foreign lawyers to practice. We are not wanted here, just like Doctors, dentists, vets of other countries arent either.
Having said that, if you are detemined and prepared to jump through their hoops, its worth the struggle for the quality of life etc.
Another great way to make contacts is voluntary work, i have a baby so i dont plan to do that, but if you have some free time, worth a try.
feel free to ask me anything, i feel for other uk lawyers coming here, there are days i think i am mad, and feel like going back home to do the job i love, but i am determined, so hanging in there!!!! when do you arrive?
all the best!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Lawyer wants to work in Canada

Originally Posted by London7
As for our qualifications, they are respected by lawyers, BUT i will be honest, Canadians are very protectionist, thats why NCA maklee it so tough for foreign lawyers to practice. We are not wanted here, just like Doctors, dentists, vets of other countries arent either.
Some professions are recognised more easily (eg accountants, engineers). But the Canadians who make these "protectionist" rules for certain profession don't realise, or don't care, that the rules not only affect immigrants but also Canadians who were trained overseas.

One option that may exist is to do a US state bar exam, as far as I know this is possible in some US states without being resident. It doesn't give practising rights in Canada, but may make it easier to find employment.

Jeremy
Old Dec 1st 2005, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Oceanflower
Hi.

Before you do anything else, do yourself a favour and have a look at this thread:

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country ...
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discouraged
Before you do anything else, do yourself a favour and have a look at this thread:

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country ...
Oceanflower

Don't be too put off by this although I have to admit it gave me a heart attack when I first read it.

I know many UK Solicitors that have re-qualified in Canada - One of them has also been offered Articles with a Government Department (Criminal) in Calgary.

From speaking to them it would appear that firms don't really "recruit" until you are in country. They want to make sure you are committed before giving Articles to you. It's alot easier to sit over here and say "I will only come over if you offer me "X" position and agree to pay me "Y" salary because I'm earning "XY" over here and must be good, than it is to get yourself over there (in a permanent capacity) and actually show them that you are committed.

I'm not totally dismissing everything that "Discouraged" has said but you must accept you are very unlikely to walk straight into a position that is comparable to the one you may have over here. A certain amount of "taking a backward step before going forward again" has to be expected.

Good news is that, without exception, they have all stated that, with the appropriate application, the exams over there are not as difficult as the ones over here !!

I am 16 months from my AOR and am waiting for my medical requests before submitting my application to NCA.

Don't be put off by the experience of others (but of course take it into account) and stay positive. If you check out the NCA site you will see how many ex-UK solicitors successfully requalified last year - if it was that difficult, they wouldn't have been able to do it.

Feel free to PM me if I can assist further

Darren
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Oceanflower

Don't be too put off by this although I have to admit it gave me a heart attack when I first read it.

I know many UK Solicitors that have re-qualified in Canada - One of them has also been offered Articles with a Government Department (Criminal) in Calgary.

From speaking to them it would appear that firms don't really "recruit" until you are in country. They want to make sure you are committed before giving Articles to you. It's alot easier to sit over here and say "I will only come over if you offer me "X" position and agree to pay me "Y" salary because I'm earning "XY" over here and must be good, than it is to get yourself over there (in a permanent capacity) and actually show them that you are committed.

I'm not totally dismissing everything that "Discouraged" has said but you must accept you are very unlikely to walk straight into a position that is comparable to the one you may have over here. A certain amount of "taking a backward step before going forward again" has to be expected.

Good news is that, without exception, they have all stated that, with the appropriate application, the exams over there are not as difficult as the ones over here !!

I am 16 months from my AOR and am waiting for my medical requests before submitting my application to NCA.

Don't be put off by the experience of others (but of course take it into account) and stay positive. If you check out the NCA site you will see how many ex-UK solicitors successfully requalified last year - if it was that difficult, they wouldn't have been able to do it.

Feel free to PM me if I can assist further

Darren
oceanflower,
i am convinced discouraged is an anti english troll!!!!!! i am sorry, i live here, and theres no way things are that bad!!!!! plus i mailed him and he never replied.
like dyin to leave said, if you are prepared to take a few steps back its possible here, you just have to be realistic and thick skinned!
good luck!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by London7
oceanflower,
i am convinced discouraged is an anti english troll!!!!!! i am sorry, i live here, and theres no way things are that bad!!!!! plus i mailed him and he never replied.
like dyin to leave said, if you are prepared to take a few steps back its possible here, you just have to be realistic and thick skinned!
good luck!
I can promise you that I'm no troll, and I'm English and proud of it (I presume you meant to say anti Canadian troll... ) I'm sorry if my posting seemed downbeat, but I just call it as I see it

No trace of your e-mail, London7 old chap, you may wish to try again. I've checked my profile, and the e-mail address on there is still current.

Oceanflower, please also feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have about my unfortunate experience. Forewarned is forearmed, after all.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Oceanflower is on a distinguished road

Thank-you all very, very much for your posts - they have very much encouraged me, and I like the point about applying for articles from within Canada. I think that this is something I will do - just go over there and see what work I can find while I make my applications for articles.

I'm glad to hear some positive comments, because they really have heartened me. However, I agree that I have to be realistic so I do need to read threads like the one recommended by Discouraged.