Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The GREAT auto insurance poll

The GREAT auto insurance poll

Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:13 pm
Manchester, UK

Tommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura about
Default The GREAT auto insurance poll

Most of us, coming to Canada, are suffering from high rates when trying to insure our first vehicle here. All of us, used to be quotes 900 US dollars or 650 quid a year, are pretty outraged when insurance broker quotes us with a big smile on his face CAD$ 4200 a year to insure 1997 Mazda Protege. Is it because we are "new" to Canada, as he's trying to persuade us? What is the reason?

1. Immigrants don't know how to drive in winter, as they've never experienced snow. That's why they are causing lots of accidents, and that brings rates high. (Even if the immigrants are from Russia or Sweden)

2. Immigrants are lucky enough just to be in Canada. This is the cost they have to pay back to the government :-)

3. Some other ridiculous reason.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The GREAT auto insurance poll

Originally Posted by Tommy HC
Most of us, coming to Canada, are suffering from high rates when trying to insure our first vehicle here. All of us, used to be quotes 900 US dollars or 650 quid a year, are pretty outraged when insurance broker quotes us with a big smile on his face CAD$ 4200 a year to insure 1997 Mazda Protege. Is it because we are "new" to Canada, as he's trying to persuade us? What is the reason?

1. Immigrants don't know how to drive in winter, as they've never experienced snow. That's why they are causing lots of accidents, and that brings rates high. (Even if the immigrants are from Russia or Sweden)

2. Immigrants are lucky enough just to be in Canada. This is the cost they have to pay back to the government :-)

I have here the renewal notice for a 2005 Ford Escape and a 2003 Ford Mustang. The premium is $3647.00. I've been here forever. Insurance is just very expensive in Canada.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians are seriously bad drivers .. and somebody needs to pay for it…
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:22 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have here the renewal notice for a 2005 Ford Escape and a 2003 Ford Mustang. The premium is $3647.00. I've been here forever. Insurance is just very expensive in Canada.
That would be two cars - one of them a Mustang. What do you expect if you must drive a mustang?

Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:25 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Mine is ok now I have my 40% no claims reinstated especially when I add in the factor that I do not need an MOT or Car Tax. It is higher than the UK but I guess that with all this slippery white stuff over here they have a little more to pay out on a knock for knock basis so level that cost over everyone.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtown
That would be two cars - one of them a Mustang. What do you expect if you must drive a mustang?
I think the Mustang is a sensible family car. I bought it because it has room for the dog and children and whatnot (see attached) and because it has a manual gearbox so it's easy to keep it moving on ice and snow. Besides, the premium breakdown is Mustang $1,839, Escape $1631 so there's not a lot in it. When I still had points for a speeding ticket the combined premium was eight grand.
Attached Thumbnails The GREAT auto insurance poll-115_1538.jpg  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:55 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep indeedy = paying for the mess caused by DUI's, crack/meth head drivers, crazy map-reading-while-driving tourists who've rarely driven left hand drive but get let loose in a God-knows-how-many-tons Durango or monster RV, and drive at mad European speeds without knowing any of the road signs, teen 'bling-bling' drivers, dumb 'Merkans with guns, Hummers trucks and SUV's driven like impregnable tanks, bad bodily damage caused to bikers cyclists and pedestrians who get in messy smashes caused by all the aforementioned assorted loons, plus cars skidding on maple syrup and accidents caused by coffee cup distractions, joint-rolling mid-manouver, etc etc. probably because of all this crazed lunacy Kelowna has some of the most dangerous accident-prone intersections in BC, a whole bunch of 'em here.

It's a mad mad world out there and to think I had to take a driving test after more than 20 years on the road

Rich.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

How do Americans with guns contribute to high insurance premiums in Canada ? My Annie Oakley is a most cautious driver.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:11 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

How do Americans with guns contribute to high insurance premiums in Canada ?
I would have thought it was pretty obvious - they have to hand their guns in at the border then they spend the rest of the time worrying about being gun-less, unarmed in a foreign country run amok with terrorists, big furry hairy clawed creatures, etc and so being distracted with their paranoia and fears for their safety, they have a higher incidence of RTA's.

Rich.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I would have thought it was pretty obvious - they have to hand their guns in at the border then they spend the rest of the time worrying about being gun-less, unarmed in a foreign country run amok with terrorists, big furry hairy clawed creatures, etc and so being distracted with their paranoia and fears for their safety, they have a higher incidence of RTA's.

Rich.
Have you actually met an American ?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:20 pm
Lotus-eater

Have you actually met an American ?
Many many many. All over the US. Pre and post 911.

Rich.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:49 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

We haven't experienced what others are saying regarding insurance. We have a 6L Dodge Ram 2500 and a 4L Jeep Wrangler and the total insurance we pay to cover both vehicles is only $1,800 per year fully comprehensive. We managed to get it tagged onto our Property Insurance.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Many many many. All over the US. Pre and post 911.

Rich.
How many times have you been shot ?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
We haven't experienced what others are saying regarding insurance. We have a 6L Dodge Ram 2500 and a 4L Jeep Wrangler and the total insurance we pay to cover both vehicles is only $1,800 per year fully comprehensive. We managed to get it tagged onto our Property Insurance.
This may contain the key. If you find a broker who is interested in maintaining a long term relationship with you to cover all your insurance needs then they seem to be amazingly flexible. We have a 2002 Subaru Outback, 2002 Nissan Pathfinder and House Renters contents/liability insurance for less than 3000 per year. OK this is not cheap, but is reasonable since I had one "Oops" on my driving history. Other brokers that I contacted seemed to exhibit either greed or a sense of humour (perhaps both).
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

I just insured a new Jeep Liberty for $1198 and I think my Ford Exploder cost me about the same....All done through ING....They also took into account proof of no claims from the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.