Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The GREAT auto insurance poll

The GREAT auto insurance poll

Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The GREAT auto insurance poll

Originally Posted by iaink
Just dumb luck. Encouraging others to do the same is plain irresponsible. Your luck will run out at some point, just like mine will, but for me it wont be for want of traction or visibility if i can help it.

How are you going to feel when you hit some pedestrian that you didnt see soon enough, or couldnt stop in time for on your all seasons? Theres no excuse.
There's no legal requirement to drive on any particuar sort of tyre so you'd have a difficult time ascribing blame for a collision to someone's choice of rubber. That'd be especially so if they were using the car manufacturers recommended tyres, something 90% of drivers do. You may enjoy using a particular brand of tyre but there's particular reason for anyone else to do so. It's not usual or even common to have a second set of tyres for winter.

I doubt I'll hit a pedestrian, btw, but I've had many close calls with unlit bicyclists wearing black. I wouldn't feel guilty about killing such an idiot but I imagine there'd be endless bureaucracy involved.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
There are 3 provinces in Canada that offer public insurance - BC, Saskatchewan & Manitoba. These provinces have insurance corporations managed by the government.
And bless their little Manitoban socks, as if insurance wasn't cheap enough already, they're just about to send us all a little refund

http://www.insurance-canada.ca/consi...vidend-511.php
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's no legal requirement to drive on any particuar sort of tyre so you'd have a difficult time ascribing blame for a collision to someone's choice of rubber. That'd be especially so if they were using the car manufacturers recommended tyres, something 90% of drivers do. You may enjoy using a particular brand of tyre but there's particular reason for anyone else to do so. It's not usual or even common to have a second set of tyres for winter.

I doubt I'll hit a pedestrian, btw, but I've had many close calls with unlit bicyclists wearing black. I wouldn't feel guilty about killing such an idiot but I imagine there'd be endless bureaucracy involved.
Legal responsibility ....I guess I should have expected as much.

I would appeal to your conscience, but i realise you dont have one. If I didnt already know you couldn't be arsed to vote I would have you down as a conservative.

As for the bicyclists, well thats just Darwinian evolution in action...or are you a subscriber to "Intelligent Design" too.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Legal responsibility ....I guess I should have expected as much.

I would appeal to your conscience, but i realise you dont have one. If I didnt already know you couldn't be arsed to vote I would have you down as a conservative.

As for the bicyclists, well thats just Darwinian evolution in action...or are you a subscriber to "Intelligent Design" too.
No, I am not a creationist.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

$2800 for a 2003 Jeep Liberty!

I was told by the insurance co. that the premiums actually get higher the more rurally you live as there's more chance of you a) taking the vehicle off road and b) hitting a moose!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
$2800 for a 2003 Jeep Liberty!

I was told by the insurance co. that the premiums actually get higher the more rurally you live as there's more chance of you a) taking the vehicle off road and b) hitting a moose!
News to me, my premium here is half what it would be in the GTA.

Maybe if you live wwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy out in the boonies and are driving 100+km to work each way it will go up with the annual mileage?

Typically off road escapades are specifically not covered anyway.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:40 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Typically off road escapades are specifically not covered anyway.
I have read something about 'industrial roads' - does this include forest service roads ? We have heaps of them here including some routes giving access to tourist and leisure spots, but others for cross country skiing, hunting, fishing etc. Guess that using these roads might be a problem for regular insurance and for rented auto cover if there was a bash ?

Anyone had any experiences of insurance issues when using industrial roads ?

Rich.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Posidrive]
Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Ford ExploderQUOTE]

Hope that was a finger slip and not a description of what happened to the engine
apparently seems to be what they are called by the poor buggers who build them.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I have read something about 'industrial roads' - does this include forest service roads ? We have heaps of them here including some routes giving access to tourist and leisure spots, but others for cross country skiing, hunting, fishing etc. Guess that using these roads might be a problem for regular insurance and for rented auto cover if there was a bash ?

Anyone had any experiences of insurance issues when using industrial roads ?

Rich.
Rich, I made an inquiry and your vehicle would be covered on any roadway in BC.

Cheers

Oggy
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 12:45 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Rich, I made an inquiry and your vehicle would be covered on any roadway in BC.
Oggy you are an absolute star ! Cheers and thanks.

Rich.