Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

/UK Driving Licence converting to Provincial Licence

/UK Driving Licence converting to Provincial Licence

Old Feb 18th 2015, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Greyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of lightGreyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Default /UK Driving Licence converting to Provincial Licence

So I managed to make it over on my 1 year working holiday but I have a question regarding converting ones UK licence over to a Canadian licence.

Currently in Ontario so here's the link: Exchange an out-of-province driver's licence | Ontario.ca

It mentions that in order to convert fully to a G2 you need to have it certified by the official government agency.

Any idea on how this is done?
Old Feb 18th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: /UK Driving Licence converting to Provincial Licence

Originally Posted by Greyfox
So I managed to make it over on my 1 year working holiday but I have a question regarding converting ones UK licence over to a Canadian licence.

Currently in Ontario so here's the link: Exchange an out-of-province driver's licence | Ontario.ca

It mentions that in order to convert fully to a G2 you need to have it certified by the official government agency.

A full Ontario licence is a G (the G2 is one of the stages in the process). If you have more than 2 years driving experience and hold a full UK licence you can just go and change it for an Ontario one. Most of the instructions on the link are for people that come from countries that don't have the exchange agreement.
Old Feb 21st 2015, 5:46 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greyfox

Go to a DriveTest centre, fill out a form, complete an eye test, get new licence. If you've held your UK licence more than 2 years they'll give you a full G licence.

If you've been driving in the UK less time than you might end up with a G2 instead (or, heaven forbid, a G1)

Remember to take copies of your UK card and counterpart as you'll have to surrender them. They'll be useful for getting your licence back should you return to the UK.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

take copies of your UK one then you have all its details and easier to retrieve it if you go back to the UK.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Gazzae is an unknown quantity at this point

That website talks about proof of driving experience and having to have an official letter from the issuing authority in order to declare more than 1 year.
Is this required to exchange a British (Northern Irish) license. If so doesn't anyone know what the name of the document you need to request from the DVA?

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2015, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Don't hand over your paper licence from UK, only the card so if and when you return you can request a new card licence! If you have a Canadian licence and are wanting to return to UK you have to prove that you can drive a standard car by showing either the UK licence or take your test again!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 5:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzae
That website talks about proof of driving experience and having to have an official letter from the issuing authority in order to declare more than 1 year.
Is this required to exchange a British (Northern Irish) license. If so doesn't anyone know what the name of the document you need to request from the DVA?

Thanks
Go to the official website here: Licence Exchange

If you don't have your paper licence you will need to obtain a Certificate of Entitlement. If you do have it, it's a straight swap provided you have held your full licence for 2 or more years. They now require you to submit both your card and paper licence (or card and Cert of Entitlement), but you should take a photocopy of both so you can have a record for exchanging back if you return to the UK.

Old Feb 24th 2015, 5:56 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzae

Thanks
I tried on a couple of occasions to get that information from the DVA in N.I. Always clueless. Never ended up getting anything from them.

When I came to Ontario I just gave them my licence and counterpart in the DriveTest centre. The girl just looked at the date on the licence and saw I'd held it over 2 years and processed me as normal. As it says "UK" on it I suspect she didn't twig there are a few differences in the documentation required compared to a "British" licence.