Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

On the ground BC advice

On the ground BC advice

Old Feb 15th 2015, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute
Default On the ground BC advice

Not wanting to hijack skybluepink's thread but in a similar position.
I'm a UK GP in the process of applying for registration in BC. There are lots of jobs but locations are limited.
I will be immigrating with husband and 3 children. The oldest will be of to uni probably a few months after we land (we plan to leave UK as soon as he finishes A levels) although he might take a year out and stay/travel/do an internship. Our daughters will be 15 and 6. I fancy French immersion for the wee one. My husband is a personal trainer.

Most likely options for location are Kelowna, Victoria, Port Coquitlam or Maple Ridge.

My husband is very into swimming especially in lakes or the ocean. My eldest is keen on skiing. I love running in trails.

Long term our dream is to have a bit of land and run a holiday type retreat. And for me to have dogs and do canicross, bike joring and dog sledding

So - anyone who knows these areas can give me a bit of location specific info

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2015, 4:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the ground BC advice

You will have gathered from the other thread that finding a community that needs a GP is not going to be a problem.

Do you want to be near the university your oldest goes to?

You say that your longer-term plans are to buy some and run a holiday type retreat. Do you want to move to one of these areas now, put down roots, and buy land there, or will you move later?

French immersion is available in all four locations. However, it can be difficult to get into the classes.

For swimming there is a bloody big lake at Kelowna. Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge are an hourish drive from the sea and I believe you can swim in Pitt Lake. Victoria is right by the sea. There are running trails everywhere.

There is a big difference in climate. Kelowna is near dessert. Very hot in summer and with a short but snowy winter. One advantage for you is that Kelowna is already considered as something of a tourist destination. Lakeshore land is expensive but it should be possible to buy somewhere away from the water.

Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge are in a temperate rainforest. It rarely gets cold but it rains a lot in the fall and winter. Land in Maple Ridge is the cheapest in Metro Vancouver but you will have to work hard to market it as a tourist resort. However, you have easy access to Vancouver and the fleshpots of the city.

Victoria also has a coastal climate though it is not as wet as Port Coquitlam and Maple Ridge. It is a government and tourist city. An easy sell as a destination but I suspect you might have to move a way out of the city to find affordable land.

I think you said you are going to visit to have a look around before you make a decision. That is a very good idea. These locations are so different that it is impossible to do them justice in a short post. You will get a much better idea when you can visit and get a feel for each area.

I would also take a look at the Sunshine Coast just north of Vancouver. It would be a good spot for the kind of business you are looking for in the future.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gowest
Not wanting to hijack skybluepink's thread but in a similar position.
I'm a UK GP in the process of applying for registration in BC. There are lots of jobs but locations are limited.
I will be immigrating with husband and 3 children. The oldest will be of to uni probably a few months after we land (we plan to leave UK as soon as he finishes A levels) although he might take a year out and stay/travel/do an internship. Our daughters will be 15 and 6. I fancy French immersion for the wee one. My husband is a personal trainer.

Most likely options for location are Kelowna, Victoria, Port Coquitlam or Maple Ridge.

My husband is very into swimming especially in lakes or the ocean. My eldest is keen on skiing. I love running in trails.

Long term our dream is to have a bit of land and run a holiday type retreat. And for me to have dogs and do canicross, bike joring and dog sledding

So - anyone who knows these areas can give me a bit of location specific info

Thanks
Please make sure that you apply for PR as soon as possible if you haven't already - your eldest will not be able to be included unless you apply prior to their 19th birthday.

Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Not in your list but have a look at the Kootenays, this area will tick most of your boxes and will be cheaper too.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

We will be landing when my eldest is 18 and 2 months. Can I check how much time you need to stay in Canada over say th first 3 years to be able to stay on PR or go for citizenship. He is very much undecided on what to do
Old Feb 15th 2015, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We will be landing when my eldest is 18 and 2 months.
Landing as PR's? If so, that's fine.

Can I check how much time you need to stay in Canada over say th first 3 years to be able to stay on PR or go for citizenship. He is very much undecided on what to do
As a PR, he'll need to be living in Canada for at least 2 years out of every 5 to maintain his PR status. For citizenship, it will be 4 years of living in Canada as PR's before eligible to apply, and then it takes a further year or so to get it.

HTH.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 7:45 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought Gowest, if you dont have PR, I might be wrong but I believe that he will be classed as an Overseas/International student and would therefore have to pay the significantly higher fees. Just something to consider. Whilst officially on the Northern tip of a desert, Kelowna is not ridiculously hot in the Summer. Having the lake alongside, there is usually a nice breeze cooling the area. The lake would really suit your hubby and whilst this year I would agree with JonboyE that this Winter has been very short, normally skiing is from November to April, BigWhite is a nice resort. After the Okanagan, Nelson in the Kootenays was our second choice destination. The area is beautiful though more isolated with flights limited from Castlegar when the weather is poor. Kelowna airport is great, has loads of flights and accesses Vancouver/Calgary for trips to UK or family visiting. JonboyE has summarised the areas nicely. The Sunshine Coast looks a great place indeed with your possible future plans.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Have checked with a couple of Canadian unis. If he doesn't start uni until the following year he will have been PR long enough to pay Canadian fees. If he wants to go straight to uni it'll probably be back to Europe. He's undecided.
Thanks for clarification re PR. The 4 of us who are coming with the intention of staying permanently will be landing as PRs.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
... with flights limited from Castlegar when the weather is poor...
Known locally as Cancelgar I believe.
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

We've lived all over UK and the most important thing really is the whole family feeling they have a role. That's my biggest worry about Okanagan. Work for my OH
Also if the eldest is coming with us there would be more opportunities for him in greater Vancouver or Victoria. But Okanagan really appeals. Especially long term
Old Feb 15th 2015, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Unless things have changed in last 2-3 years- our eldest flagpoled for PR in late July and started uni in September- he paid domestic fees from the start- When I discussed with Uvic there was no wait time- they just said let us know whether he had PR by the time he had to pay his fees- end of September.
TBH I think that of the places you have listed only Kelowna would give you most of it- the exception being dog sledding. Maybe that is also possible- I don't know of anyone doing that locally- maybe for a reason OR maybe there's an opportunity for you.
Tourists abound in the Okanagan in the summer- mainly July/August.
They are mainly here for the skiing in winter.
Outside of those months- you may need to work for your clients.
I agree the Kootenays would also be an option as beautiful, but transport is an issue in winter and hospital privileges!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2015, 6:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We will be landing when my eldest is 18 and 2 months. Can I check how much time you need to stay in Canada over say th first 3 years to be able to stay on PR or go for citizenship. He is very much undecided on what to do

All I can say is that my son was quite anti-Canada and it took me 2 years to persuade him to apply with me - he was adamant that he didn't want to come but I told him it would at least give him options. We applied a week before his 22nd birthday (as that was the cut off at the time) and he landed 5 years later at 27 (long story). He moved over later that year and 5 years on hasn't looked back once, he loves it here. Ideas and thoughts change a lot between the ages of 18 and 24, it would be a really good idea for your son to keep his options open by getting his Citizenship if he can.

Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:18 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship wait is 3 years residency, not 4. Its expressed in days and I can't recall the actual number, but I applied in February 2014 after moving permanently in December 2010.

After passing the citizenship test in September I'm still waiting for my invite to the ceremony...
Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Citizenship wait is 3 years residency, not 4.
It is now, but it's changing to 4 years during 2015, so it will be the 4 years as a PR requirement that will be relevant to the OP.

HTH.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute

Have checked with a couple of Canadian unis. If he doesn't start uni until the following year he will have been PR long enough to pay Canadian fees. If he wants to go straight to uni it'll probably be back to Europe. He's undecided.
Thanks for clarification re PR. The 4 of us who are coming with the intention of staying permanently will be landing as PRs.
Hi, we don't have PR (yet) and my son will be off to university later this year. As far as universities in Ontario are concerned (haven't checked on other provinces), they have confimed he will be paying domestic fees. I think it's because we're Canadian taxpayers. He will however need to obtain a study permit ($100 plus some paperwork I think).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.