Reload this Page >

UK credit check while living in Canada

UK credit check while living in Canada

Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Leigh1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK credit check while living in Canada

Hi there
I am hoping somebody can give me some advice with regards to doing a UK credit check. I have been living in Canada for the last 4 years. Before i left the UK i paid of all my debts except my student loan which i am currently paying for monthly.

So the last i knew i had excellent credit, same here in Canada. I have built up my credit history and am in good standing.

I have reason to believe that a family member has been using my details because her credit is poor. I have only just found out and i am not sure how long it has been going on for. She assures me she hasn't used my details but i am skeptical. I tried to do a credit check with the bigger companies but they want a UK credit card details which i dont have anymore. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I would really appreciate any advice
Old Nov 26th 2012, 5:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK credit check while living in Canada

Instructions are given here on how to obtain your credit report with using a card - however, you will need to supply a UK address as they send you a verification code. If you have someone who could accept mail for you this might be an option.

If you are able to access the bank account that you used for the credit card (that you don't have details of anymore), you may be able to track down the number etc from that - just a thought.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 26th 2012 at 5:42 am.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Leigh1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately i need to have a UK credit card which i dont have anymore, and my bank closed my account earlier this year as i hadn't used it in so long.
Its so hard getting in touch with the credit agencies too. Not really sure what i will do
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leigh1982
Hi there

So the last i knew i had excellent credit, same here in Canada. I have built up my credit history and am in good standing.

I have reason to believe that a family member has been using my details because her credit is poor.

I would really appreciate any advice
Why do you care? You live in Canada.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I would call the credit reference company and explain your situation.

They are usually happy to take your money for allowing you to generate a PDF credit report on their system. It's money for old rope for them.

Is it www.creditexpert.co.uk that you are using?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:08 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Why do you care? You live in Canada.
I would care if someone was using my credit related details whether I was in the country or not. Wouldn't you?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I would care if someone was using my credit related details whether I was in the country or not. Wouldn't you?
I can't imagine why. Someone accessing my credit card would be an issue of course, but the OP doesn't have one in the UK, not even a bank account.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

cedarsguardian is an unknown quantity at this point

try www.noddle.co.uk it is free.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cedarsguardian
try www.noddle.co.uk it is free.
I can't access their website for some reason, but according to their facebook page it says:

"...There are various reasons why we're unable to verify your identity but some of the most common reasons are a recent house move or name change, not being on the Electoral Roll or the credit card details provided couldn’t be verified. For a very small number of people with little or no credit data there is also the possibility that there isn’t a credit report available. We're unable to tell you the exact reason that we couldn’t verify you...."

So it would appear that the OP would still need the details from her old UK Credit Card.

Nice find though
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

cedarsguardian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
I can't access their website for some reason, but according to their facebook page it says:

"...There are various reasons why we're unable to verify your identity but some of the most common reasons are a recent house move or name change, not being on the Electoral Roll or the credit card details provided couldn’t be verified. For a very small number of people with little or no credit data there is also the possibility that there isn’t a credit report available. We're unable to tell you the exact reason that we couldn’t verify you...."

So it would appear that the OP would still need the details from her old UK Credit Card.

Nice find though
After all they need something to identify you by. I used my UK Credit card and they located me fine.

If you do not have a UK address and a uk bank account or a uk credit card then most likely you do not have a credit report file, unless you identity has been stolen.

But then a UK credit is uk specific and will not affect you credit in Canada.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cedarsguardian
After all they need something to identify you by. I used my UK Credit card and they located me fine.

If you do not have a UK address and a uk bank account or a uk credit card then most likely you do not have a credit report file, unless you identity has been stolen.

But then a UK credit is uk specific and will not affect you credit in Canada.
It isn't me that is trying to obtain a credit check, it is the OP - who has already stated that she no longer has her UK credit card and she is concerned that a relative is using her details to obtain credit.