Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Citizenship - Wife and any future children

UK Citizenship - Wife and any future children

Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizenship - Wife and any future children

Originally Posted by PeterF
We are a right mix, me British, the wife Japanese and twins recently born in Canada.

The twins are automatically Canadian Citizens (first in the family ), they can also be British (no rush, they can get that themselves when their older if they like)
They may not be British if you were born outside Britain. And you should already know that if they wait until older to apply for passports, they will probably get a lot of hassle/delay as the embassy do not like that.

and also for the time being, can be Japanese.

Japanese is the tricky one, we had to register them with the consolate within 3 months (after that they would miss the boat), then they can get Japanese passports if we wish, but when they reach 18 they would have to give them up if they decided to keep Canadian/British Citizenship.

The passport queue at Heathrow will be fun.
They will need to work things out themselves if older, but the bottom line is that if they only tell the Japanese authorities, the British and Canadians will ignore this.

If they have to go and formally sign away their British/Canadian citizenship, it's a much bigger deal. In particular, if you formally renounce Canadian citizenship, there is no easy way to get it back again other than qualifying to migrate like anyone else (eg Conrad Black).
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizenship - Wife and any future children

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
You neglected to say they are only good for half the amount of time! I found getting my british passport easier then my canadian...I am born Canadian! What a freaking hassle...
cdn $87- 5 yrs
UK £77.50- 10 yrs..
Thats OK if you are in the UK

UK passport through washington = $224 US, $147US for under 16s.
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/passport-fees

The canadian process also can be done without the hassle of entrusting valued documents to the postal service.

Its also been said that as the US now require passports for canadians flying there that Canada will introduce 10 year passports soon enough to cut the bureaucratic work load that will result from that.