Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Welder lacking education points

Welder lacking education points

Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

2307jo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welder lacking education points

My husband is a foreman welder with over 20 years experience but we don't get enough points on FSW assessment because of his lack of education. As Welders are on "the list" does this make any difference to eligibility for a visa or is the best route LMO and TWP. We had a recce trip in October and he was offered a job and they were putting in for the LMO but lost a big contract and couldn't take him after all. After having had a glimpse at being able to get to Calgary (he has a stepson and family there) we really don't want to give up. Surely not all trades workers have been to college/university so how do they get in? I have been trawling the Forum trying to find an answer but couldn't hence this post so apologies if I just repeat what others have asked.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:06 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Welder lacking education points

Originally Posted by 2307jo
My husband is a foreman welder with over 20 years experience but we don't get enough points on FSW assessment because of his lack of education. As Welders are on "the list" does this make any difference to eligibility for a visa or is the best route LMO and TWP. We had a recce trip in October and he was offered a job and they were putting in for the LMO but lost a big contract and couldn't take him after all. After having had a glimpse at being able to get to Calgary (he has a stepson and family there) we really don't want to give up. Surely not all trades workers have been to college/university so how do they get in? I have been trawling the Forum trying to find an answer but couldn't hence this post so apologies if I just repeat what others have asked.
They get jobs beforehand or marry someone with enough points
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Yes I realise getting a job beforehand is the best way I was merely asking if anyone knew of a way to prove experience other than formal qualifications. As for the other part of your answer - funny!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I realise getting a job beforehand is the best way I was merely asking if anyone knew of a way to prove experience other than formal qualifications. As for the other part of your answer - funny!
There's truth behind it though.

Get letters from employers detailing the type of work done and the amount of hours spent working in that trade.

You should be aware that in Canada even farting needs a certificate of competence from some authority or other
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Point taken. We are getting all the letters etc together and are also going to get him assessed to get a formal report on his skills. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:42 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you contacted AIT and had his details checked ???

http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca/in...ex_content.asp

Also i know that there is a few companys here in lethbridge that have been after welders for awhile, maybe one would be willing to the LMO unless it had to be calgary that you are aiming for
I know the wages are not as high here as calgary, but then its cheaper to live

Just an option for you to look at, feel free to PM me if you need any more info
Good Luck

LB
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks LB that is a really helpful website. We really want to be in Calgary becuase we have a family connection there and some friends going in March but you never know we might look at Lethbridge if Calgary doesn't work out. We really want to get to Canada so it might be that we go to Lethbridge first and the relocate to Calgary later on. Lots to think about. Thanks for your help
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:04 pm

Thanks LB that is a really helpful website. We really want to be in Calgary becuase we have a family connection there and some friends going in March but you never know we might look at Lethbridge if Calgary doesn't work out. We really want to get to Canada so it might be that we go to Lethbridge first and the relocate to Calgary later on. Lots to think about. Thanks for your help
I know alot of people that have done that or have family in calgary but still live in the bridge as its alot quieter than the larger city
Must admit that when we came looking we set interviews up in lethbridge and calgary, only went to one in calgary as we had fallen for the bridge with the kids
when looking at jobs keep an eye on http://www.sajobline.com/ it is linked to local jobs, plus there is no harm in just coming over and popping into companys with your resume, they do seem to like the personnal touch.

Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

We'll bear that in mind. We had a recce trip in October and he went round with resumes that's when he got offered the job that didn't work out - it fell through the day the for sale board went up on our house - the board is still up though! We had thought that the best thing to do would be to have another trip over and do the same again - maybe we'll look at Lethbridge too! We have a daughter of 8 - how old are your kids? As long as she's happy we'll be happy - we're doing this for a better life for her (and us of course). Thanks again for your help - keep the advice coming all gratefully received!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:16 pm

We'll bear that in mind. We had a recce trip in October and he went round with resumes that's when he got offered the job that didn't work out - it fell through the day the for sale board went up on our house - the board is still up though! We had thought that the best thing to do would be to have another trip over and do the same again - maybe we'll look at Lethbridge too! We have a daughter of 8 - how old are your kids? As long as she's happy we'll be happy - we're doing this for a better life for her (and us of course). Thanks again for your help - keep the advice coming all gratefully received!
I have 3 kids and all have settled well into life, infact all 3 have said that they dont want to live in the uk again
My eldest is waiting to hear that she is a cheerleader, my middle one has got into choir (hes the same age as your daughter) and my youngest is loving just starting at kindergarten. Must admit we moved for the kids and the better life for them

Have a look at the schools here -- http://lethsdweb.lethsd.ab.ca/Pages/lsdhome.aspx
Another one that is good - http://www.chooselethbridge.ca/
and the local paper -- http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/

There is a large expat community here as well as many others, i think that it has a great community feel to it, although classes as a city it is really relaxed.
It takes us 2hrs to get to calgary and even though i love the shopping there i feel its too big, although i have some fab friends there

There is a few off here that live here inc Mrs Miggins, BBunch etc, plus alot more that dont use the boards. We have a collage, uni etc and when we looked we found it relaxing, no rat race like we had in the uk.............

Not sure what info you are looking for, but if you want to message me i am sure if i dont have the information, then i am sure one of the ladys in town will
Also check jo, her hubby is here as a trucker (she is joining him shortly) and mags (ian) who is moving over next year, both love lethbridge.
Also look at medicine hat for jobs.......................

Hope it works out for you