UK to Canada

Old Apr 10th 2016, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

stuartgreig1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Canada

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Just a bit of local food for thought- take your time before uprooting your family. As has been said- ?local move to better weather.... Cornwall/Devon/Dorset/Worcestershire/Herefordshire are all nice counties!! I loved living in Fife!! Maybe a bit drier???
If im honest it's not all about the weather although it has its part to play. We have discussed for many a year about emigrating somewhere and leaving the UK. Canada always came into the conversation. As i think i said in the thread a while back we have family there, my wife has citizenship and in speaking to family and seeing there post on FB and photos they send it's just a whole new life and looks like a life we would enjoy.

We wouldn't be making any rash or rushed decisions and will probably make a few trips over before making any decisions. It's still a couple of years down the road and probably a lot more forum posts before we decide on when and where we plant or roots in Canada.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 5:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartgreig1978
If im honest it's not all about the weather although it has its part to play. We have discussed for many a year about emigrating somewhere and leaving the UK. Canada always came into the conversation. As i think i said in the thread a while back we have family there, my wife has citizenship and in speaking to family and seeing there post on FB and photos they send it's just a whole new life and looks like a life we would enjoy.

We wouldn't be making any rash or rushed decisions and will probably make a few trips over before making any decisions. It's still a couple of years down the road and probably a lot more forum posts before we decide on when and where we plant or roots in Canada.
Sounds sensible- good luck
Old Apr 10th 2016, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Climate wise the Okanagan would fit the bill nicely......It gets hot in the Okanagan in the Summer ...Humidity is low...Winters are fab, certainly not too cold and snow mainly where you want it, up in the mountains for skkiing etc....
Hey, steady on. At this rate there won't be room for me if I took the plunge.
...the Okanagan had now turned into a retirement village for the rich. Particularly kelowna. ....
I'll fit right in then.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 1:59 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Hey, steady on. At this rate there won't be room for me if I took the plunge.

I'll fit right in then.
I thought that you had decided to stay out east
Old Apr 11th 2016, 4:27 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Kelowna with my husband coming up to 1 year in a couple of months. Yes people do come here to retire but there's plenty for children here and young families. I work with children and take them on hikes, trips to the beach, riding bikes. Almost any kind of sport hobby can be catered for here!
This weekend it's been hot and sunny and everyone's enjoying the outdoors, the winter wasn't bad at all. Great place for young families. :-)
Old Apr 11th 2016, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving from Devon to Canada as soon as the house sells and the PR for the OH is set in stone. Devon has reasonable weather some of the time, if you don't mind the wind. We hate it. We also hate the impossible hordes of visitors in the summer clogging up the narrow roads with their pesky caravans and complete lack of road sense. We are heading for a little paradise in SE BC near the US border....great for shopping. We've already got our acreage and have been keeping close tabs on the weather over the last couple of years...this winter almost no snow, now temperatures are in the 20s. And best of all, this magical forecast. Wind: no wind. How good is that? And the wide-open empty roads...oh joy.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goneforgood
And the wide-open empty roads...oh joy.
That all sounds wonderful but have you heard of Harley-Davidson?

Harley-Davidson make two wheeled tractors that appeal a specific market niche; aging brand whores. It is a sad feature of the attractive roads in Canada that they are invariably cluttered by a pair of Harley-Davidsons wobbling along side-by-side at 40mph. Sometimes there are whole snailish parades of them, nose to tail, side by side, taking up as much room as and going at the pace of an RV (which for those abroad is the same pace as a tractor and muck spreader).

The riders call their chromy machines "hogs", I don't know if that's for their road manners or the physique of the riders, both are accurate. If there's an attractive road in Canada without a Harley-Davidson it'll be in Saskatchewan or Manitoba or some other place where no one goes.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd still rather look at the tail end of a Harley than the tail end of a caravan.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 1:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that you had decided to stay out east
It was never going to be soon. And, as much as much less snow is appealing, there's a lot to miss about being here where we have everything we need and so close.

But I can imagine a couple of likely situations where downsizing would have an appeal and then it might just be a case of if we're moving, let's move away and reduce the snow.

Somewhere between Kingston and Hamilton would be more likely/affordable though. Perhaps somewhere in Kelowna as well just for the winter.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Harley-Davidson make two wheeled tractors that appeal a specific market niche; aging brand whores. It is a sad feature of the attractive roads in Canada that they are invariably cluttered by a pair of Harley-Davidsons wobbling along side-by-side at 40mph. Sometimes there are whole snailish parades of them, nose to tail, side by side, taking up as much room as and going at the pace of an RV (which for those abroad is the same pace as a tractor and muck spreader).

The riders call their chromy machines "hogs", I don't know if that's for their road manners or the physique of the riders, both are accurate. If there's an attractive road in Canada without a Harley-Davidson it'll be in Saskatchewan or Manitoba or some other place where no one goes.
Surely many of these on cross country trips across Canada have to go through Saskatchewan and Manitoba as there is only one road unless you count the Yellow-head (Hwy 16) which starts/ends in Manitoba. The Gold Wing cyclists do the same as well. Try getting stuck behind several on the Beartooth Pass in Montana.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Surely many of these on cross country trips across Canada have to go through Saskatchewan and Manitoba
I suppose one could but I never have. If you go through Nebraska or the Dakotas they have scenery and places of interest; like the world's biggest ball of twine and the two-headed calf.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Ahh yes the Hardly-Movinson, I really fail to see the attraction and fascination with them.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Mr.CBB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

New on here and just looking for some advice if you don't mind.

Myself and partner are in the early stages of emigrating to Canada in the near future. My partner has Canadian citizenship through her mother. Were not yet married but will be married early next year.

Q1. Will there be any issues with her getting a passport and if im her husband will there be any issue with me getting to stay in the country.

My partner is a Social Worker in a fostering agency and would like stick to this field if at all possible. I work in IT in the aviation sector at present but dont have any qualifications to say so. I worked in aviation all my life and switched to the IT maintainence side recently.

Q2. How much of a demand is there for a Social Worker/Fostering in Canada at the moment. I know it will depend on location etc.

We know the weather in Canada can be harsh but we both don't mind the snow if we know we will get a good summer (prefer better than the uk's summer)

Q3. Where is likely to give us all 4 seasons like the UK but with a higher temperature in the summer.

Regarding property we were planning on not selling our house in the UK and renting for the 1st year or 2 and finding out if life in Canada is for us.

Q4. What are the rental prices like in Canada (obviously location dependent). We would more than likely stay away from the big cities as like here in the UK im sure the prices are high. Also what is the sale market like? Similar to the UK i.e will a £250,000 in the UK be the equivalent size etc. in Canada (suburb/out of town locations).

We awill also be bringing Juno our Hungarian Vizsla dog with us. We use dog walkers and dog boarders at the moment if we go on holiday or out of town.

Q5. Is there such a service in Canada similar to the UK?

Sorry, think that's quite a lot of questions i've got there but hopefully someone can give us some insight into life in Canada.

Thanks for any help offered.

Stuart
Hi Stuart,
I sold my house when I moved to Canada in 2007 and at the right time as the current owner tried to sell it a few years back at a loss and it's still no better. If you aren't sure if you want to stay then hang on to your property and have someone look after it until you make a final decision. I had no hesitations and looking back it was one of the best decisions I made as I love it here. I also sold just about everything as you can buy it here used, get it free or find some great deals. Think about the cost of shipping stuff you can replace for less once you get here. I'm sure you will be fine finding dog walking and boarding services as well. There is a business for just about everything. I also shipped my dog over with me but he has since passed.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:13 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute