UK to Canada

Old Apr 3rd 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

stuartgreig1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Canada

Hi,

New on here and just looking for some advice if you don't mind.

Myself and partner are in the early stages of emigrating to Canada in the near future. My partner has Canadian citizenship through her mother. Were not yet married but will be married early next year.

Q1. Will there be any issues with her getting a passport and if im her husband will there be any issue with me getting to stay in the country.

My partner is a Social Worker in a fostering agency and would like stick to this field if at all possible. I work in IT in the aviation sector at present but dont have any qualifications to say so. I worked in aviation all my life and switched to the IT maintainence side recently.

Q2. How much of a demand is there for a Social Worker/Fostering in Canada at the moment. I know it will depend on location etc.

We know the weather in Canada can be harsh but we both don't mind the snow if we know we will get a good summer (prefer better than the uk's summer)

Q3. Where is likely to give us all 4 seasons like the UK but with a higher temperature in the summer.

Regarding property we were planning on not selling our house in the UK and renting for the 1st year or 2 and finding out if life in Canada is for us.

Q4. What are the rental prices like in Canada (obviously location dependent). We would more than likely stay away from the big cities as like here in the UK im sure the prices are high. Also what is the sale market like? Similar to the UK i.e will a £250,000 in the UK be the equivalent size etc. in Canada (suburb/out of town locations).

We awill also be bringing Juno our Hungarian Vizsla dog with us. We use dog walkers and dog boarders at the moment if we go on holiday or out of town.

Q5. Is there such a service in Canada similar to the UK?

Sorry, think that's quite a lot of questions i've got there but hopefully someone can give us some insight into life in Canada.

Thanks for any help offered.

Stuart
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 4:24 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Canada

Originally Posted by stuartgreig1978
Hi,

Myself and partner are in the early stages of emigrating to Canada in the near future. My partner has Canadian citizenship through her mother. Were not yet married but will be married early next year.

Q1. Will there be any issues with her getting a passport and if im her husband will there be any issue with me getting to stay in the country.

My partner is a Social Worker in a fostering agency and would like stick to this field if at all possible. I work in IT in the aviation sector at present but dont have any qualifications to say so. I worked in aviation all my life and switched to the IT maintainence side recently.

Q2. How much of a demand is there for a Social Worker/Fostering in Canada at the moment. I know it will depend on location etc.

We know the weather in Canada can be harsh but we both don't mind the snow if we know we will get a good summer (prefer better than the uk's summer)

Q3. Where is likely to give us all 4 seasons like the UK but with a higher temperature in the summer.

Regarding property we were planning on not selling our house in the UK and renting for the 1st year or 2 and finding out if life in Canada is for us.

Q4. What are the rental prices like in Canada (obviously location dependent). We would more than likely stay away from the big cities as like here in the UK im sure the prices are high. Also what is the sale market like? Similar to the UK i.e will a £250,000 in the UK be the equivalent size etc. in Canada (suburb/out of town locations).

We awill also be bringing Juno our Hungarian Vizsla dog with us. We use dog walkers and dog boarders at the moment if we go on holiday or out of town.

Sorry, think that's quite a lot of questions i've got there but hopefully someone can give us some insight into life in Canada.

Stuart
It's a bit t like someone from Samoa saying "I'm thinking of moving to Europe, where's nice"? You'll have to be a little more specific. Where is your partner from, for example?
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Apologies for being so vague.

We have pretty much narrowed down our search to ON or BC. This should hopefully narrow down our scope for searching and obtaining advice. I would also say the southern parts of both provinces where the weather will be less brutal for us soft Scots folk LOL.

I have family who live in Hamilton, ON but i dont think the weather there in the summer is that great. Vancouver I've heard can be very wet most of the year.

My partner has citizenship through her mum but has never lived in Canada herself. Her family is originally from Collingwood.

We just looking for a better idea where would suit us best.
Thanks.

Last edited by stuartgreig1978; Apr 3rd 2016 at 4:49 pm. Reason: Needed to add more.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

There shouldn't be an issue getting her passport, if she already has proof of citizenship. Where was she born (in Canada or overseas?).
Get proof of citizenship

Canadian passports

There shouldn't be an issue getting her proof of citizenship either (if she doesn't already have it), but it takes several months.

If you are already common-law partners (have you lived together for at least 12 months? And can you prove that?), or once you are married, your partner/wife can apply to sponsor you as a spouse. There's a very extensive Wiki here about that.

Yes

Stuart
I can only offer limited help on your 1st & 5th questions. The rest, as Rivingtonpike points out, is all a bit vague...
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I can only offer limited help on your 1st & 5th questions. The rest, as Rivingtonpike points out, is all a bit vague...
Hi Shirtback:

She was born in the UK but she has her Citizenship card and commemorative certificates (issued in 1988 and with her maiden name not her ex husbands name which she now uses). We have lived together for 6 years now (would be easy to prove). Updated the last post to narrow down where we were looking at moving too.

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shirtback:

She was born in the UK but she has her Citizenship card and commemorative certificates (issued in 1988 and with her maiden name not her ex husbands name which she now uses). We have lived together for 6 years now (would be easy to prove). Updated the last post to narrow down where we were looking at moving too.

Thanks
Then she can apply for a passport directly (I linked in my first post).

And can apply to sponsor you as a spouse even if you are not yet married, because you're considered common-law.

I'll leave the "where should we go live in Canada"/climate/rent/job questions to others .
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Then she can apply for a passport directly (I linked in my first post).

And can apply to sponsor you as a spouse even if you are not yet married, because you're considered common-law.

I'll leave the "where should we go live in Canada"/climate/rent/job questions to others .
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 6:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

South West British Columbia has this climate. That said, for the last few years we have had to go up into the mountains to experience much in the way of snow.

... Vancouver I've heard can be very wet most of the year....
Wet in the fall/winter. It is warmer and sunnier than the UK in the summer. See the heatwave thread in the Maple Leaf.

As you say, very location dependent. As a huge generalization, in most parts of Canada you will get more house for your money in Canada. Vancouver and surrounding areas are more like London and Home County prices. I understand Toronto can be very expensive too.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 10:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We have pretty much narrowed down our search to ON or BC. This should hopefully narrow down our scope for searching and obtaining advice. I would also say the southern parts of both provinces where the weather will be less brutal for us soft Scots folk LOL.

I have family who live in Hamilton, ON but i dont think the weather there in the summer is that great. Vancouver I've heard can be very wet most of the year.

My partner has citizenship through her mum but has never lived in Canada herself. Her family is originally from Collingwood.

Thanks.
If you do the obvious move, I know of an excellent dog/other pet if she must, walker, boarder, day visitor, close to Collingwood. Will also feed chickens.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 11:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you don't mind the bugs too much, nor sweating in the humidity summers in southern Ontario are lovely. Avoide the snow belt, lake effects snow areas and the winters are ok.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
Define 'not great'. I live about 20km from there and I love our summers. If you have an issue with very hot weather then maybe not for you.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

In Ontario, anywhere north of Barrie and you're looking at about 5 months of snowfall.

Winters will be harsh even for a boy from Glasgow.

We rent a 2 bed property in a rural area where there's no public transport for 1,000 a month and that's very cheap. You can expect to pay a lot more if near to a town.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Define 'not great'. I live about 20km from there and I love our summers. If you have an issue with very hot weather then maybe not for you.
I dont mind the snow as long as i know i will get a hot summer. I like having 4 seasons but in Scotland summer is pretty much wet and not much sun. If its hot in the summer i would be more than happy with that.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DMajor
Winters will be harsh even for a boy from Glasgow.
We barely get a snowy winter in Glasgow now. Its, rain, rain, rain most of the time. gets very dreary after a while. Looking for some proper seasons and Canada seems to have that.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Know exactly what you need ....SUN !

Calgary has over 300 days with sun a year... (Cold or hot) Now warm to you and me is anything over 15c !!!
19c today and 25c tomorrow here in Calgary... West is best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.