Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk bus driver wanting hgv job in canada.I already have pr

Uk bus driver wanting hgv job in canada.I already have pr

Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk bus driver wanting hgv job in canada.I already have pr

Hi i am a bus driver in england with 5 yrs experience.I have pr status for canada and i do not want to lose it.I have about 6 months to enter canada before i lose it.
Does anyone know who would take on new hgv licence holders ?.I would be willing to take course and work any where in canada
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk bus driver wanting hgv job in canada.I already have pr

Finding a job before you move is going to be tricky, I know you've been asking on the forum about it for the past couple of years. TBH if that's what you're waiting for before moving, you may not go at all.

Best thing to do is just get out there asap (don't leave it until the last minute to move, or you won't be able to leave Canada for the next 2 years - what if you need to return to the UK for an emergency/funeral, or even just want a holiday?) and get networking.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 21st 2012 at 11:57 am. Reason: Fixing typo
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi is it not 2 out of 5 years ?.I will be going i think and i am kicking myself as i had a job offer 6 months ago but i rejected it
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeps
Hi is it not 2 out of 5 years ?.I will be going i think and i am kicking myself as i had a job offer 6 months ago but i rejected it
Sorry, yes, typo! It is. But my point is that if you leave it to the last minute, then you have to spend every day of that 2 years in Canada, so what if you need to return to the UK for a family emergency or something? Any time outside Canada (even a quick shopping trip over the border) won't count towards that 2 years, so you need to be very careful about giving yourself a few months leeway so that you can at least leave the country if you want to without risking your PR.

If you've only got 6 months before your 3 years since activating is up, then personally I'd get out there in the New Year.

HTH, good luck, hope you find another job offer soon.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 21st 2012 at 11:57 am.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Yes thanks chris, i can see where your coming from.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

recon most bosses would want you over here before offering work as IMO there is lots of distance work available.
jimmy.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Any time outside Canada (even a quick shopping trip over the border) won't count towards that 2 years, so you need to be very careful about giving yourself a few months leeway so that you can at least leave the country if you want to without risking your PR.
A shopping trip for a day should not be a problem, it is nights out of Canada that cause the problem.

One issue the OP could have is being a long haul driver or bus driver, having to go the the US and not having enough time in Canada. It is doable, but getting the govt. to accept time out of Canada when working for a Canadian company is not easy.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
A shopping trip for a day should not be a problem, it is nights out of Canada that cause the problem.

One issue the OP could have is being a long haul driver or bus driver, having to go the the US and not having enough time in Canada. It is doable, but getting the govt. to accept time out of Canada when working for a Canadian company is not easy.
This is usually only a problem when applying for citizenship as opposed to the 730 day residency obligation.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This is usually only a problem when applying for citizenship as opposed to the 730 day residency obligation.
OK, it was so long ago for me. It was for citizenship I had the problem, being out of the country more than I was in. Fortunately as my office was on the Canadian registry I was OK.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant see anyone offering you a job if you are still in the UK. Your only chance would be Fort McMurray driving buses.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Asdrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I was at a working in expo for Canada last week and there was a company called ADTS (Atlantica Diversified Transportation Systems) who where seeking drivers. This company is based in in the Atlantic provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador). I have got there details and contact email if you want to contact them PM me.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind also you have to re-take your bus test here as you can only exchange your car licence.
It would be a lot easier to get a job with PR, than without, that is for sure but you do need to be here and ideally hold a Canadian licence before applying. Fort McMurray is advertising all the time for bus drivers for Town buses and taking workers to the oilpatch.
The money is good, but the costs for living up there are high.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:59 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

This 730 day rule seems to be quite easy to break if you just make sure you meet the criteria when you apply to renew your card. I read on the internet that the process they use actually prevents an IO from looking beyond the previous five years dealing with a PR renewal.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:01 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP....city transport buses are always looking for drivers, a la TTC (Toronto), OC Transpo (Ottawa) etc. There are the coach companies and if all else fails, school buses (gotta start somewhere right)?