Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TWP and schooling

TWP and schooling

Old May 21st 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

oodles of noodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TWP and schooling

Researching and planning for a move to Vancouver with hubby and 2 kids - currently 6 and 4 years old. I'm thinking we'd move around late spring/summer 2013 in time for the younger one to start kindergarten (she'll have turned 5 in March 2013).

If I got a TWP, would that be a barrier to getting state education? I thought I read somewhere that one had to have a PR (but I may be mistaken). Has anyone else had problems with getting their kids into schools with a TWP?

I'm planning a recce in October/November (yes, I know the weather turns around then, but it seems the earliest I can do this). So, I will have a look around areas but for now, I liked the character/look of New Westminster but wondered if there were any reasons one might choose to stay away from the area? The other areas I'm interested in seem to have more written about them in the threads/wiki e.g. North Van, Coquitlam. Also curious about Burnaby.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TWP and schooling

Originally Posted by oodles of noodles
Researching and planning for a move to Vancouver with hubby and 2 kids - currently 6 and 4 years old. I'm thinking we'd move around late spring/summer 2013 in time for the younger one to start kindergarten (she'll have turned 5 in March 2013).

If I got a TWP, would that be a barrier to getting state education? I thought I read somewhere that one had to have a PR (but I may be mistaken). Has anyone else had problems with getting their kids into schools with a TWP?

I'm planning a recce in October/November (yes, I know the weather turns around then, but it seems the earliest I can do this). So, I will have a look around areas but for now, I liked the character/look of New Westminster but wondered if there were any reasons one might choose to stay away from the area? The other areas I'm interested in seem to have more written about them in the threads/wiki e.g. North Van, Coquitlam. Also curious about Burnaby.

I'd live in New West. It's got some great neighbourhoods and good skytrain access. I don't know why it doesn't get mentioned more as an option on BE to be honest. I really like the area around Queen's Park - lots of character homes.

Where in Burnaby? Burnaby is more $$$ than New West and closer to Vancouver than any other 'burb apart from Richmond.

No idea about TWP & schooling, sorry.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; May 21st 2012 at 10:27 pm.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We are over on a TWP and we have had no probs with schooling. We are in Alberta tho.

Found out the local education board and email them whatever questions you have. I had a ton for the Calgary one and they answered every question I had about equivalent ofsted reports, stats, fees etc etc.

Hope that helps!
Old May 22nd 2012, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

just to add confusion to the mix....

when we came over (NS), I got a TWP, mrs SA got a Spousal Open Work Permit but nothing for our 2 kids.
The school was only concerned about us living in the catchment area and no proof of permits etc were needed.

When we renewed our TWP, we also applied for Study permits thinking we'd need them since the online system asked us - but in hindsight, that was a waste of 2x$150 since the kids were in school anyways.

If your doing a reccie....why not pop into the local school and ask ;-)
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Those are great suggestions.

I will email the school district board and find out, and will definitely pay them a visit. I'm guessing I won't have time to visit all school districts so was hoping to narrow down my search areas quite early on.

I'm still leaning towards the Tricities area/ New west/Burnaby. Initially looked at North Van but the amount of rain mentioned elsewhere and potential problmes with traffic problems on bridge have put me off. I will nevertheless, still give it a look in.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If coming over on a TWP then normally children are either given their own visitor records if applying at the POE or added to one of the parents documents. Yes they can attend school. There is no fee.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp
Old May 22nd 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You could apply for study permits for the children at the same time as the work permit (s) ie from outside Canada. When my TWP was renewed in Canada, CIC issued visitor records for the children which stated that they were entitled to attend school.

In my experience government agencies (eg Alberta Health) will require a copy of the status document for each child. The schools didn't want to see the status documents but CBE did.
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Those are great suggestions.

I will email the school district board and find out, and will definitely pay them a visit. I'm guessing I won't have time to visit all school districts so was hoping to narrow down my search areas quite early on.

I'm still leaning towards the Tricities area/ New west/Burnaby. Initially looked at North Van but the amount of rain mentioned elsewhere and potential problmes with traffic problems on bridge have put me off. I will nevertheless, still give it a look in.
Of course. You have to. Lots of people choose to live on the North Shore and are very happy with it. There is good and less good everywhere. And, wherever you end up living it will be a compromise. Price, nearness to work/amenities, transportation, how the neighborhood feels, and lots of other factors means that somewhere others reject will be perfect for you.

Also keep in mind that the perfect place for you to live will probably end up being somewhere different to where you think will be the perfect place while you are researching/visiting.
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:34 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We came on TWP, kids were given a visa on arrival and we had no probs getting them into schools
Old May 24th 2012, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! That's reassuring to know.

Now, I have to plan that recce. If you have any advice again, please feel free to share....
Old May 25th 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

You don't necessarily need the $150 study permit, you can do it for $75 and have it on the visitor record too., as Jimf says above.

When we renewed our TWPs, we had to renew the kids visitor records @ $75 each, and these stated on them that they could attend Elementary and High School (they weren't of school age when we came over originally).