Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to Calgary soon

moving to Calgary soon

Old May 24th 2012, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

jamjamjam87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Calgary soon

Hi, were moving to calgary soon within the next 6 weeks, theres a few things we would like advice on, if anyone would be so kind to help!

To drive legally in Canada is my UK licence ok, how long can i use it for before i have to change to a canadian licence? what insurance documents do i bring with me?

We are a family of 3, 1 is 18 months old, is there anything that we need to get off our UK doctor, that canadian doctors might need?

I am going straight into a job, but how will i get a bank account in calgary with no fixed address for when i first arrive?

And lastly mobile phones, are they the same as here "pay as you go" or contract phones?

Thank you Jamie.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

teemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to Calgary soon

kindly advise on immigration to canada with the use of an immigration lawyer
Old May 24th 2012, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamjamjam87
Hi, were moving to calgary soon within the next 6 weeks, theres a few things we would like advice on, if anyone would be so kind to help!

To drive legally in Canada is my UK licence ok, how long can i use it for before i have to change to a canadian licence? what insurance documents do i bring with me?
You can drive on your UK licence for a short period of time but most swap it for an Alberta one straight away. If you wish to reduce your insurance, you will need letters from the insurers of your recent past confirming how many years of claims free driving you have. Not no claims bonus.

We are a family of 3, 1 is 18 months old, is there anything that we need to get off our UK doctor, that canadian doctors might need?
No

I am going straight into a job, but how will i get a bank account in calgary with no fixed address for when i first arrive?
Get yourself a PO Box number.

And lastly mobile phones, are they the same as here "pay as you go" or contract phones?
Yes, you pay for incoming calls and texts and pay as you go normally have credits that expire each month unless you top them up.

T
hank you Jamie.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

cheers teemi, but were a couple of steps ahead of that. thank you "almost canadian", What is a PO box number and where can i get one? Once again thank you.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teemi
Welcome to BE.

Rather than hijacking the OP's thread, it would be appreciated if you'd start your own with any questions.

If you are looking for info on immigration to Canada, then the Wiki (follow the link in my signature) and the CIC website is a good place to start.

Thx.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teemi
Read the Wiki at the top of the page on immigrating to Canada, the CIC web site will also have useful information. If you use the search feature on this site, it will throw up hundreds of threads on immigration lawyers. You should do some legwork yourself, then you are in a better position to ask more specific and pertinent questions.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Try contacting HSBC. They should be able to open a Cdn currency acct for you in the UK. I have a Cdn acct with them which allows me access to GBP accts in both the UK and Canada. I am going in the opposite direction.

Best of luck with your move.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you IF1
Old May 24th 2012, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Try contacting HSBC. They should be able to open a Cdn currency acct for you in the UK. I have a Cdn acct with them which allows me access to GBP accts in both the UK and Canada. I am going in the opposite direction.

Best of luck with your move.
I wouldn't recommend an account with HSBC in Calgary as they have very few branches and you will be dinged fees for using a non-HSBC ATM each and every time you use one.

Great if they have a branch local to where you will be working and living, crap if you don't.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I wouldn't recommend an account with HSBC in Calgary as they have very few branches and you will be dinged fees for using a non-HSBC ATM each and every time you use one.

Great if they have a branch local to where you will be working and living, crap if you don't.
Only if your account is not a premier account. If you have a premier account with them you get refunds on the $1.50 they charge to use other ATMs.

Old May 24th 2012, 9:29 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

All true, but for the purposes of moving it was certainly the easiest choice for me as I couldn't open an acct in the UK, even although I have an address and utility bills etc. I suppose the bank thought I could be laundering money through BT and the local council.

OP can simply close the acct once they have opened an account with another bank in Calgary.

Last edited by lf1; May 24th 2012 at 9:30 pm. Reason: sp
Old May 24th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to Calgary soon

I looked into the HSBC route but they wanted £100 for the privilage so I didnt bother in the end. We were lucky to have our rental sorted before we have arrived in Calgary so it was very easy to open a bank accout.

I have been told that I have 3 months before I need to change my driving licence.

Where abouts in Calgary are you thinking of moving to?

Hope all goes well for you
Old May 24th 2012, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

nowhere specifically as i want to see where the location of where my work will be before we decide as im a formwork carpenter, where would you suggest? seeing i have a 18 month old boy, and a common law partner who works in childcare, i guess a place that welcomes familys, i have read that certain places like the SW are ideal?
Old May 24th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to Calgary soon

nowhere specifically as i want to see where the location of where my work will be before we decide as im a formwork carpenter, where would you suggest? seeing i have a 18 month old boy, and a common law partner who works in childcare, i guess a place that welcomes familys, i have read that certain places like the SW are ideal?
We have only been here 2 months. Spent 3 weeks in Oakridge, which I didnt like but that was probably because of the condo we were staying at. Its a very old comunity which means lovely green parks and mature trees but not many kids and young people around.
We are now living in Auburn Bay S.E. and love it here. Loads of young people with small children, few Brits too. There is a school bus to Kinderkarten and the best part is the private lake which is lovely. We have already used it this year as last week was very hot. There is a new place just down the road from us called Mahogany and that looks amazing too. But be prepared for the noise as there are still builders on site as its very new.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:49 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Jamie.
Hi. I think most of your questions have been answered already. The only thing I would add is in respect of getting any info off your doctor. Just make sure you have your little one's red book containing his medical information, particularly in reference to inoculations. Some inoculations that the kids receive here vary to those in the UK and even those that are the same are sometimes administered at different ages. I just gave a photocopy of the relevant page from the red book that showed all these to the school nurse here so she could enter the relevant information onto the system. She now just gets in touch as and when the kids are due for anything else.

Best of luck with your move over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.