Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TV shows on the Internet

TV shows on the Internet

Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV shows on the Internet

If you can download TV shows onto your phone - is there a way you can downlod TV shows onto your computer? I don't mean just watching streaming video. For instance, my sister says Foyle's War is on TV tonight.

Can I watch Foyle's War on my computer? Can I watch any current shows that are on TV on the BBC right now or is it just old stuff?

Or is it just certain things that you can download at the moment?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:24 pm
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future
Default Re: TV shows on the Internet

Originally Posted by lizwil98
If you can download TV shows onto your phone - is there a way you can downlod TV shows onto your computer? I don't mean just watching streaming video. For instance, my sister says Foyle's War is on TV tonight.

Can I watch Foyle's War on my computer? Can I watch any current shows that are on TV on the BBC right now or is it just old stuff?

Or is it just certain things that you can download at the moment?

I have not heard that the BBC is doing this yet. I had heard somewhere that BT Internet will be providing television via their Broadband site maybe later this year. Doesn't help you now though, sorry.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Can I watch Foyle's War on my computer?
The latest episode will be on UK Nova soon - http://www.uknova.com/ - it's not there yet.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me how that works? I clicked on the link - I could not do anything. Even when I clicked on "sign up" - I got a message that the site was not open for public use.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:40 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you tell me how that works? I clicked on the link - I could not do anything. Even when I clicked on "sign up" - I got a message that the site was not open for public use.
a sky engineer swears that sky can be picked up anywere in the world if you got the card and the right dish, its not easy but it can be done.

his words not mine.

bt will be the first uk net provider for broadband tv, ntl and telewest wont be far behind, i just hope its all sorted when i get over there, not arsed about the itv or bbc but i will miss me sport, i will struggle living without my beloved bristol city fc, despite the cr@p football and the fact they let me down all the time.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by [email protected]
a sky engineer swears that sky can be picked up anywere in the world if you got the card and the right dish, its not easy but it can be done.
Your Sky engineer was smoking something. The Satellite footprint in not large enough to enable someone in North America to pick up the signal, whatever sized dish they have.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

PM sent Liz.

Mandy - even if BT do offer broadband TV, what are the chances of you being able to subscribe from Canada? I mean because of things like the FA selling rights to north american companies, they'd be furious if we could all just sign up with BT...wouldn't happen
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

his words not mine.

bt will be the first uk net provider for broadband tv, ntl and telewest wont be far behind, i just hope its all sorted when i get over there, not arsed about the itv or bbc but i will miss me sport, i will struggle living without my beloved bristol city fc, despite the cr@p football and the fact they let me down all the time.
Have a look at this page and at the bottom of the page is a link to a graphic that show the foot print of the current sky digital transmisions. The older analog system had a much bigger footprint, but it was still line of sight transmission so you wouldn't be able to pick it up in Canada or any where else that couldn't see the satalite without some very freeky weather conditions that would allow the signal to bounce around the world.

Dozzzzy
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:25 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philcUK
Your Sky engineer was smoking something. The Satellite footprint in not large enough to enable someone in North America to pick up the signal, whatever sized dish they have.
he claims fox use the same satelite.
is he still on drugs?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

he claims fox use the same satelite.
is he still on drugs?
The signal from the Sky satellites can only be picked up where the footprint is (probably only Europe). What Sky often do is sell the signal to other countries (no idea how they send it), for example I think they sell Sky Sports in Iran as there is a big football following there, where the signal is broadcast on other satellites or by terrestrial means.

It is just a matter of looking at what satellites you can pick up where you are, but I doubt you will be able to get the whole Sky service outside of the UK or Europe. Whatever Fox broadcast, won't be from the same satellite that UK subscribers use as there won't be line of sight due to the curvature of the Earth. Even if there was line of sight, the signal strength from the satellite won't be strong enough to reach mainland USA.

Chris
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I am also intrigued about this as every time I have looked at this sie I get the same message. Is the site open at certain times for people to join up.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Sonia
Old Feb 4th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that this kind of technology & others kick in pretty soon, as i still badly miss British TV!! ... we have briefly looked into satellite packages over here, but the actual British support stations appear to be few & far between.

The idea of watching British Telly direct on the PC sounds VERY appealing to me!!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 1:36 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisymoll
I am also intrigued about this as every time I have looked at this sie I get the same message. Is the site open at certain times for people to join up.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Sonia
UKNOVA has a maximum membership of 75,000. Accounts which are inactive for 6 weeks are periodically pruned at which point the signup page will magically appear. Keep trying it's worth it - you'll need a big hard drive...