Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The TV in Canada is shockingly poor!

The TV in Canada is shockingly poor!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The TV in Canada is shockingly poor!

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Consider it a blessing in disguise.

Couldn't agree more! Through having to wait for 5 months for our shipping we became used to not having the Telly so when it arrived we just had no interest in swiching it on. In the end I had no option but to cancel our Licence. That was some 6 months ago!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:27 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
LOL! Exactly what reciever model do you have?
We have the 505 I think it is called. It is the HD one from Star Choice without the recording option (new , not reconditioned).

Guy came out yesterday and confirmed what we already knew, the receiver is knackered. he called Star Choice and they made him go through the same process we had on Saturday - hold this button, disconnect this cable etc etc - and this guy installs them for a living.

Eventually they agreed we needed a replacement, but then they said they would charge us $13.50 to deliver it! :scared: We responded by saying that if that was the case they could collect the lot and refund our money and we would go with Bell. They then said they would not charge on this occasion. Bloody cheek - we have only had it a week!

Anyway, the new receiver should be with us in about a week!

Jane
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:53 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
We have the 505 I think it is called. It is the HD one from Star Choice without the recording option (new , not reconditioned).

Guy came out yesterday and confirmed what we already knew, the receiver is knackered. he called Star Choice and they made him go through the same process we had on Saturday - hold this button, disconnect this cable etc etc - and this guy installs them for a living.

Eventually they agreed we needed a replacement, but then they said they would charge us $13.50 to deliver it! :scared: We responded by saying that if that was the case they could collect the lot and refund our money and we would go with Bell. They then said they would not charge on this occasion. Bloody cheek - we have only had it a week!

Anyway, the new receiver should be with us in about a week!

Jane
Okay, I have the same receiver and it has been replaced 3 times!!!! The 505 HD has major problems associated with it - software related. They sent me the replacement receiver via UPS and didn't charge me - if I recall correctly. The new receiver still has problems.

The major benefit of StarChoice is when you want to take it out of Canada - say to the US or Mexico, where I have a home, StarChoice doesn't mind. They even gave me a bigger dish - for free - so I could get a stronger signal in Mexico!

ExpressVu, on the other hand, does not approve of you accessing their signal outside of Canada. Plus, you can't get many of their channels from Mexico or the southern US, with StarChoice you can. If you only plan to access the signal from Canada you likely would be better off with ExpressVu. I'm a special case because I want to watch TV in Mexico. If it weren't for that fact, I would switch to EXpressVu.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 10th 2006 at 12:00 am.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

We only really watch TV during the winter, there's too much to do outside during the summer.

I was selling some tickets for a charity event around our lake last Sunday and I couldn't believe how many people were inside watching TV, I'd say about 20% - on a lovely Sunday afternoon, and the majority of these people had driven up for the weekend - stupid!

Having said that I will be watching Doctor Who which starts on Ocober 9th at 8:00pm on CBC, it's the most popular search on their website.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:44 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It seems that many dislike Canadian TV because of all the commercials, which has indeed become a real problem.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that many dislike Canadian TV because of all the commercials, which has indeed become a real problem.
That's true in our house. If we see a film mentioned and it looks interesting we walk to the store and rent it rather than try to watch it on the TV. If there were no longer shows featuring Gordon Ramsay or the PBR circuit the service would be gone.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a movie we are interested in we tape it. Our VCR (remember VCRs...like a DVD recorder or TIVO, only with tape) has the ability to skip through the commercials automatically. Dont know how it works, dont care how it works. Glad that it does though.

I can live with the commercials on regular shows for short periods, its a chance to channel hop and try and find something less brainless to watch (fat chance though), but I dislike that they synchronise them now more often than not all that is on is more commercials.

Strangely Canada has produced some good, if short lived shows. Unfortunately without US sydication they tend to die quickly. "Made in Canada" was a classic I enjoyed, but it was cancelled after a US Studio bought the production company. "Red Green" should be compulsory viewing for canadian newcommers...there is much to be learned there!

Frankly I think TV sucks everywhere though, I dont think Canada is unique. It tends to go for lowest common denominator programing now. Thanks god for reruns of intelligent programing on PBS.

There is the odd winner though, "House" is great (although basically the same plot each week) "The Office" (either US or UK) is funny in a very nasty biting UK way, "My name is earl" is funny too, but some of the recent UK imports Ive seen just left me scratching my head. "Little Britain" for example I just didnt get when they aired some on Showcase. I guess I'm just out of touch Glad to see Dr Who is coming back in the fall.

Life's too short to waste too much of it watching TV anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 10th 2006 at 6:14 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:23 pm
mañana is my busiest day

I recall years ago when satellite TV first came out.... they promoted it (at least in the US) as commercial free. Obviously, those days are sadly gone.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 10th 2006 at 6:26 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

lee1001 is an unknown quantity at this point

The frequency of commercials is a real problem. Often three sets in half an hour of TV.

My girlfriend likes a lot of tacky TV but we both enjoy watching series such as 24, The Sopranos, Lost etc. However watching them on the box is not an option. Especialy with 24, its a very fast paced program and the commercials just break it up and ruin the show.

What we do is use E-Bay. We buy a season boxset, watch it through and then sell back on to E-bay usually getting our money back so we can order the next series.

I know a lot of people download shows but im not sure how.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:03 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Okay, I have the same receiver and it has been replaced 3 times!!!! The 505 HD has major problems associated with it - software related. They sent me the replacement receiver via UPS and didn't charge me - if I recall correctly. The new receiver still has problems.

The major benefit of StarChoice is when you want to take it out of Canada - say to the US or Mexico, where I have a home, StarChoice doesn't mind. They even gave me a bigger dish - for free - so I could get a stronger signal in Mexico!
Oh dear, that doesn't bode well does it. We will wait and see if the new receiver works.

The only reason we went with Star Choice is because they offer CTV in HD, whereas Bell don't. As CTV is the only channel we watch with any regularity, it seemed the best option.

We haven't been doing too well since we got here a month ago:

First the water didn't work (well pump broken). No water for first three days
Second we had a 13.5 hour power failure because of the storms - no electric & no water
Thirdly, the satellite TV broke after only a week
Fourth, the internet connection was delayed a week and then hasn't worked properly since installation.

I suppose if we get all these things out of the way now, things can only get better - can't they?

Jane
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:47 am
mañana is my busiest day

Lets hope your luck will change.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Lets hope your luck will change.
Ah just the person I needed. My folks are away and Im racking my brain to remember where that covered bridge is near the KW area - you know which one Im talking about....I want to tell friends about when so they can visit it when they are in ontario.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:10 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by willmore
Ah just the person I needed. My folks are away and Im racking my brain to remember where that covered bridge is near the KW area - you know which one Im talking about....I want to tell friends about when so they can visit it when they are in ontario.
West Montrose - my father was raised on a farm very close to the bridge.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:14 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

West Montrose - my father was raised on a farm very close to the bridge.
Wasn't your Mother as well?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:38 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Wasn't your Mother as well?
That was your first post on this thread. It's not much of a contribution to the topic, but coming from you, rather predictable.

Don't you understand... the reason we started the Maple Leaf forum was to get the likes of you off this forum. It's the rumpus room for you, not this forum.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 11th 2006 at 2:03 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.