Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by R I C H
I've never moved anywhere for a job offer, so perhaps that's where the difference of opinion/experience lies.
Every move except 1 has been because of a job, when one job ends, gotta just move on to where ever the next job happens to be.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

On the weather side of things, I was walking along our little downtown the other day, and on some of the buildings they have little info-graphics about the past, and on one building they were talking about a grocery store that was there in the 1930's and how back then this area got 4-6 feet of snow each winter.

I just can't imagine this town getting that much snow as it no longer happens, amazing how much can change in less then 100 years.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
what I cannot bear is this mix and match mentality of quoting the price of chicken per pound, and then the weight on the packet in kilos...
exactly. I find it amazing when people talk about getting 20 cm of snow and 3 foot drifts????? Just use one system...preferably the metric one !!!.

Most people in Canada under the age of about 50 use celsius, cm of snow etc, km/h, kilometres for distance, price per litre (petrol), but when it comes to buying meat, they still think in pounds (probably because it appears cheaper for the supermarket).

Most people in that same category think of their weight and height in lbs and feet/inches.

In my industry (civil engineering/town and country planning) all the requirements/standards are in metres, m2, hectares etc. The only place I've run into a very unusual standard was building heights/parking requirements in Cornwall Ontario which had just converted from a standard imperial measurement to a metric equivalent which seemed quite awkward. They put it down to their proximity to New York State which seemed a stretch to me....
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
exactly. I find it amazing when people talk about getting 20 cm of snow and 3 foot drifts????? Just use one system...preferably the metric one !!!.

Most people in Canada under the age of about 50 use celsius, cm of snow etc, km/h, kilometres for distance, price per litre (petrol), but when it comes to buying meat, they still think in pounds (probably because it appears cheaper for the supermarket).

Most people in that same category think of their weight and height in lbs and feet/inches.

In my industry (civil engineering/town and country planning) all the requirements/standards are in metres, m2, hectares etc. The only place I've run into a very unusual standard was building heights/parking requirements in Cornwall Ontario which had just converted from a standard imperial measurement to a metric equivalent which seemed quite awkward. They put it down to their proximity to New York State which seemed a stretch to me....
I trained as a radiographer in the UK using feet and inches, then we went metric. I move to Canada and it's all feet and inches again. The equipment comes from the USA so we stay in the dark ages. Same with paper sizes. Don't get me started on rads, greys, rems, sieverts.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:14 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The truth about winter in Canada is that is goes on far too long.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

It's finished woop woop !!!!!

I think ?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:50 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's finished woop woop !!!!

I think ?
We had snow when I woke up this morning....it snowed solidly all through the day, I trudged down the hill to go to our version on the "ideal Homes Exhibition" (all good looking lads wanting to sell patios and outdoor poducts) mid morning, then I trudged back. It's stopped snowing now, so we just have solid, and stinging ice pellets....

I feel somewhere on here Bristol and Tangram aren't going whoop whoop either!

I want to whoop...I'm really desperate to whoop here...but I have to go back out into my garden to dig a trench around my fence so that my Cairn Terrier can't simply leg it over the snow and into the unknown.

I am NOT judging Eastern Canada this year on this winter, we gave taken a horrible hit, but I am sooo sick of it now.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We had snow when I woke up this morning....it snowed solidly all through the day, I trudged down the hill to go to our version on the "ideal Homes Exhibition" (all good looking lads wanting to sell patios and outdoor poducts) mid morning, then I trudged back. It's stopped snowing now, so we just have solid, and stinging ice pellets....

I want to whoop...I'm really desperate to whoop here...but I have to go back out into my garden to dig a trench around my fence so that my Cairn Terrier can't simply leg it over the snow and into the unknown.

I am NOT judging Eastern Canada this year on this winter, we gave taken a horrible hit, but I am sooo sick of it now.
Any trudging should only be to the ANBL shop.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's finished woop woop !!!!!

I think ?
Err no.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
exactly. I find it amazing when people talk about getting 20 cm of snow and 3 foot drifts????? Just use one system...
Not me. Horses for courses.

Like I mentioned earlier, 90 tells me a lot more about a hot day than 32. "Britain swelters in the 90s" has a much better ring to it than the 30s.

Conversely, 'below zero' says more about cold than just another 2-digit number.

So I think the same in the snow example. 20cm is quite useful in comparing what's expected or fell, but tell me I have to dig my way through a 3 foot snow drift or snowbank and I have a far better idea of the task than if you tell me 90 cm.

Of course, it helps not to grow up with one system, change to another and then change back again.

I quite like kilometres. They make it seem like you get there quicker than miles.

I wonder....at school rulers were 6" or a foot. For those growing up in the metric age were yours 15cm and 30cm? Or did you have a different name.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Even the Canadians (wife, mother in law and the stepkids) are complaining this time.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Even the Canadians (wife, mother in law and the stepkids) are complaining this time.
Well, they would, wouldn't they?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not complaining, but it's a-snowing in Regina!
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:30 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wonder....at school rulers were 6" or a foot. For those growing up in the metric age were yours 15cm and 30cm? Or did you have a different name.
Depends how bad you'd been... a minor transgression, you were whacked with a 30cm ruler. For a serious crime, like sneezing during the Hail Mary, the nuns beat you with a metre-stick.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Depends how bad you'd been... a minor transgression, you were whacked with a 30cm ruler. For a serious crime, like sneezing during the Hail Mary, the nuns beat you with a metre-stick.
A cubit stick, shirley?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.