Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 27th 2014, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You should visit the MBTTUK forum now and again. But not yet, you're too young.
Ah i've been in there before, I think I had a thread on there about moving to Bristol, I have participated in a few threads and i've read alot of other threads although haven't participated in them.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 10:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Ah, those were the days, I remember being on hold for eight hours once to talk to the Texas service centre for INS and also standing in a very long line indeed to get an I-129 petition application.

This is a problem as much as it is a help, since INS put the forms on-line in 1998 the application rate has ballooned so anything subject to quota you can almost forget about.
Indeed. These things tend to be forgotten today. Ah, well.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Frederic's Uncle's Cousin to the King, it's bleeding snowing in Richmond Hill.

Not too much, but really! Give over

Yeah. Here too Left home this morning in blazing sunshine for a drive & destination I don't like at the best of times. Hit snow on the tops on the return journey, & by the time I got home it was nearly white out.

Forecast is 15 -30 cm, followed by torrential rain. Depending which forecast one looks at/listens too. All in the next 24 hours.

Mind you, dad has been bitching about snow on the A66 this week, so apparently the grass ain't green elsewhere either.

SB

Last edited by Shirtback; Mar 28th 2014 at 1:28 am. Reason: Feral comma
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

Yeah. Here too Left home this morning in blazing sunshine for a drive & destination I don't like at the best of times. Hit snow on the tops on the return journey, & by the time I got home it was nearly white out.

Forecast is 15 -30 cm, followed by torrential rain. Depending which forecast one looks at/listens too. All in the next 24 hours.

Mind, you, dad has been bitching about snow on the A66 this week, so apparently the grass ain't green elsewhere either.

SB
My sympathies. It's all a bit too much this year. I know I am getting older, but this winter takes the biscuit.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies. It's all a bit too much this year. I know I am getting older, but this winter takes the biscuit.
Thanks. Reciprocal sympathies .

I'm officially declaring this my 2nd Worst Canadian Winter Ever, shunting the Ice Storm into 3rd place.

(2003 took the biscuit here: less-than-average-snowfall + prolonged extreme cold = frozen/burst pipes & frozen well line. That was the year I darn well nearly applied for my plumbers' cards; plumbing now qualifies as one of those things I know how to do if I really have to, while really *really* wishing I didn't!)

I'm very grateful to BE for this "bitch & moan" thread. Wish I'd found BE in 2003

SB
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:36 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Thanks. Reciprocal sympathies .

I'm officially declaring this my 2nd Worst Canadian Winter Ever, shunting the Ice Storm into 3rd place.

(2003 took the biscuit here: less-than-average-snowfall + prolonged extreme cold = frozen/burst pipes & frozen well line. That was the year I darn well nearly applied for my plumbers' cards; plumbing now qualifies as one of those things I know how to do if I really have to, while really *really* wishing I didn't!)

I'm very grateful to BE for this "bitch & moan" thread. Wish I'd found BE in 2003

SB
I honestly can't remember what the winter of 2003 was like. I'll take your word for it.

2008 was a biatch here as was 1982, my first. I remember (all too well) Christmas Day that year: it was -25C outside and more than a bit blowy. In fact a rather large tree fell on my car in the drive. Oh dear. Happy Christmas.

12 months earlier, I'd been picking limes off the tree in the backyard and pouring gin over them in Southern California.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I honestly can't remember what the winter of 2003 was like. I'll take your word for it.

2003 is only engrained in my memory because of the above mentioned "adventures". It may not have been bad Canada-wide.

2008 was a biatch here as was 1982, my first. I remember (all too well) Christmas Day that year: it was -25C outside and more than a bit blowy. In fact a rather large tree fell on my car in the drive. Oh dear. Happy Christmas.

Yep Yikes!! That's the kind of experience that burns scars into one's memory.

12 months earlier, I'd been picking limes off the tree in the backyard and pouring gin over them in Southern California.
) I'm trying very hard to hold off on the gin. Just stuck my nose outside & snow has turned into horizontal freezing rain.

Roll on July.

SB
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

During the winter of 1982 I had a torn coat and no boots. I should have thought of that this morning instead of feeling downcast at having to put on rain gear to go and blow the driveway. 30 years of toil has, at least, provided me with a fairly new pair of Docs and three, count 'em, three, coats!
Old Mar 28th 2014, 11:28 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Wet n warm now, it's BC, "but not as we know it Jim"
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:28 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The winter of 2007/8 was a motherf****r. We had 433cm of snow, which is double the long-term average.

This winter has not been as snowy as many people seem to think. We've had 231cm so far, which is only about 15cm more than the average for a winter. A couple more decent dumps and my forecast of 265cm could prove to be quite accurate.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:41 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

2007/8 was our first winter here.
I have a picture of me looking very pissed off , up to my knees in snow.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Our first winter here was bad 08/09, but for us it was still a novelty, -30's and lots of snow. 2010/11 was very cold Jan - March, not so much snow.

This year we've had it all, heavy snow end of Oct, Nov and Dec, mild Jan, up to +13 on a few days, then cold to very cold and snow since. It has snowed constantly since Wed night. I have missed work on more days this year than any other winter. Enough already!
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
I have missed work on more days this year than any other winter. Enough already!
Me too. Two days. Double the previous worst. And there are immigrants snapping at my heels.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 1:58 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Our first winter here was bad 08/09, but for us it was still a novelty, -30's and lots of snow. 2010/11 was very cold Jan - March, not so much snow.

This year we've had it all, heavy snow end of Oct, Nov and Dec, mild Jan, up to +13 on a few days, then cold to very cold and snow since. It has snowed constantly since Wed night. I have missed work on more days this year than any other winter. Enough already!
i live in Calgary and haven't missed any days of work? and no i don't work from home..winter 2010/11 when i lived in Edmonton was far worse than this one for cold and snow...again days missed at work zero.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
The winter of 2007/8 was a motherf****r. We had 433cm of snow, which is double the long-term average.

This winter has not been as snowy as many people seem to think. We've had 231cm so far, which is only about 15cm more than the average for a winter. A couple more decent dumps and my forecast of 265cm could prove to be quite accurate.
Where do you find this info? I have looked but can't find data for Peterborough let alone our village.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.