Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by R I C H
The puzzlement is as much as to why 'anywhere' in Canada is better than 'anywhere' in the UK. Given the emotional strains, logistical issues, financial pressures, losing immediate family and friend networks etc, it's a choice I find odd. Are Canadian career opportunities and prospects that much better to not care where you live?
Maybe - for some people at least. I know some people who have moved because the opportunity was so good career-wise and/or financially that they felt they had to take it no matter what. Of course, some of them had no intention of remaining beyond a certain period of time so the fact that the geography/climate/lifestyle wasn't a good fit didn't particularly bother them because they were on a fixed timeline before moving on.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There's another aspect to this discussion which I think needs airing: simple practicality.

The first international move we made (from Cambridge to near Los Angeles) was in 1977 (20-odd years pre internet), so online research tools weren't available. The move was made by someone (myself) earning 3600 pounds gross a year and my wife earning about half that amount. A recce was impossible for us in our financial circumstances.

Indeed the last work-related relocation I made was in 1993, admittedly post internet but not by much. Before google maps and web forums by a long way.

However by then I'd gained enough seniority to have the prospective employer offer to pay for recce trips for both of us, in addition to paying travel costs & living expenses for me to present a research lecture ahead of the offer.

These conditions don't apply to many.

I've been lucky.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 26th 2014 at 10:00 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
There's another aspect to this discussion which I think needs airing: simple practicality.

The first international move we made (from Cambridge to near Los Angeles) was in 1977 (20-odd years pre internet), so online research tools weren't available. The move was made by someone (myself) earning 3600 pounds gross a year and my wife earning about half that amount. A recce was impossible for us in our financial circumstances.

Indeed the last work-related relocation I made was in 1993, admittedly post internet but not by much. Before google maps and web forums by a long way.

However by then I'd gained enough seniority to have the prospective employer offer to pay for recce trips for both of us, in addition to paying travel costs & living expenses for me to present a research lecture ahead of the offer.

These conditions don't apply to many.

I've been lucky.
That takes me back to when my (then) husband and I moved to Hong Kong to take up a teaching post in 1979, the salary was around £3800 a year and there was no chance of doing a recce - we literally had 48 hours to decide if he wanted the job or not. Our shipping allowance consisted of the equivalent of 8 tea chests and we packed all our worldly belongings and off we went. Arriving in mid-summer, to temperatures in the high 30's and 97% humidity (and no central air) we did wonder what on earth we had let ourselves in for! We had been allocated housing (which we paid a percentage of salary for) on the far south coast of HK island but his job was by the Kowloon tunnel to the NT's (more than 2 hours by public transport, at that time) - we did manage to renegotiate the living arrangements, but it was a stressful time. Had a wonderful few years though...

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 26th 2014 at 10:15 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That takes me back to when my (then) husband and I moved to Hong Kong to take up a teaching post in 1979, the salary was around £3800 a year and there was no chance of doing a recce - we literally had 48 hours to decide if he wanted the job or not. Our shipping allowance consisted of the equivalent of 8 tea chests and we packed all our worldly belongings and off we went. Arriving in mid-summer, to temperatures in the high 30's and 97% humidity (and no central air) we did wonder what on earth we had let ourselves in for! We had been allocated housing (which we paid a percentage of salary for) on the far south coast of HK island but his job was by the Kowloon tunnel to the NT's (more than 2 hours by public transport, at that time) - we did manage to renegotiate the living arrangements, but it was a stressful time. Had a wonderful few years though...

£3800 a year? Bourgeois pigs!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

The puzzlement is as much as to why 'anywhere' in Canada is better than 'anywhere' in the UK. Given the emotional strains, logistical issues, financial pressures, losing immediate family and friend networks etc, it's a choice I find odd. Are Canadian career opportunities and prospects that much better to not care where you live?
I sometimes wonder about this too, reading some of the posts on this forum

But then, I never moved countries to *get away* from the UK. I moved (UK-France-UK-Hong Kong-brief stint in Oz-HK-UK-France-Canada), in the spirit of adventure, new horizons, some interesting jobs along the way, and once as a trailing spouse.

Along the way, I ended up in Qc, with young children in tow, & rightly or wrongly, although I really had a hard time settling, I stayed because I didn't want to uproot them again.

Canada/Qc was never on my list of places to visit (see trailing spouse comment above ), but it did "tick the boxes" of my necessary criteria *at the time*. I did a lot of (pre-internet) research; 2 (winter) recce trips, & agreed to move.

I've survived, prospered for a while, struggled sometimes, divorced, & still heartily hate the winters!!

SB
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I sometimes wonder about this too, reading some of the posts on this forum

But then, I never moved countries to *get away* from the UK. I moved (UK-France-UK-Hong Kong-brief stint in Oz-HK-UK-France-Canada), in the spirit of adventure, new horizons, some interesting jobs along the way, and once as a trailing spouse.

SB
Yes, that certainly is important as well. I think one of you should start a new thread about Travelling the World While Living in a Bean Can. Memories of a Forgotten Era.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

"Anywhere" is an odd choice indeed. I can't imagine anyone that would say that would have done any actual research beyond some pictures and a holiday show on TV (do they still do those any more? ).

But then just travelling there with a brief idea of wanting to stay is a bit odd. Kinda depends on where you're coming from and what you'll be happy to leave behind.

Maybe even just giving yourself the change it so desperately needs.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:35 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
"Anywhere" is an odd choice indeed. I can't imagine anyone that would say that would have done any actual research beyond some pictures and a holiday show on TV (do they still do those any more? ).

But then just travelling there with a brief idea of wanting to stay is a bit odd. Kinda depends on where you're coming from and what you'll be happy to leave behind.

Maybe even just giving yourself the change it so desperately needs.
I briefly looked, but have you decided yet where you'll be living?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Actually young Jedi, you don't agree with RICH. You belong to the anywhere in Malta is better than anywhere in Canada minority.
Well "Anywhere in Malta" isn't really a category. Malta is all the same because its so small
If Malta doesn't work out I might emigrate to the UK, Oz or NZ so that's not necessarily true either. Malta is just my first choice.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:46 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Well "Anywhere in Malta" isn't really a category. Malta is all the same because its so small
If Malta doesn't work out I might emigrate to the UK, Oz or NZ so that's not necessarily true either. Malta is just my first choice.
Good to know. ABC eh?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that certainly is important as well. I think one of you should start a new thread about Travelling the World While Living in a Bean Can.
Huh? Have I been whooshed?

Memories of a Forgotten Era.
You calling me old?? ! !

SB
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:09 am
Born again atheist

Huh? Have I been whooshed?

You calling me old?? ! !

SB
Madame! As my sig line used to say, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

Whooshed?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Madame! As my sig line used to say, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

Whooshed?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whoosh

(My use of the term very probably dates me; I learnt it on Usenet...)

(I was wondering about the "... Living in a Bean Can" reference?)

SB
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:02 am
Born again atheist

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whoosh

(My use of the term very probably dates me; I learnt it on Usenet...)

(I was wondering about the "... Living in a Bean Can" reference?)

SB
Oh, I see. Sorry. the reference was to a Peter Cook and Dudley Moore TV programme from, err, a long time ago.

If I know BristolUK he'll provide the youtube link presently.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh, I see. Sorry. the reference was to a Peter Cook and Dudley Moore TV programme from, err, a long time ago.

If I know BristolUK he'll provide the youtube link presently.
Oh Crikey. I now feel officially old. But no longer whooshed, I just hadn't thought back far enough ... I "get" the Pete & Dud reference ...

SB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.