Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by R I C H
This isn't aimed at anyone commenting on this thread in particular, but often people post on here how they plan to emigrate to Canada and will go wherever they can find a job. The motivation is to be employed, not to actually live somewhere their heart really desires. Of course a job is generally necessary, but at the cost of living in an area with notoriously bad weather, nasty biting insects or poor amenities etc? Seems to dilute the immigrants dream somewhat.

I've never really understood that approach. The driving factors to emigrate for me have always made more sense being justified by wanting to be somewhere specific, not just in a vast country 'somewhere', putting up with undesirable factors that just add to the stress of settling in a foreign country.

Is it a lack of research, a lack of appreciation about the geography and climate? A desperation to emigrate at almost any cost? A desire not to back away from the dream they've probably held for a long time?
This could be a first..I 100% agree with you on this. People make compromises by going wherever they can find a job and then putting up with years of living somewhere they don't really like living. Makes no sense to me. For us the location is the most important factor. Luckily we both are in employment fields that make finding employment fairly easy anywhere which helps.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

So a recce is worthless? An immigrant should just take pot luck? Isn't research into climate, geography, accessibility, amenities, price of cheese etc worth the effort?

I travelled a lot as a youngster, experienced many different places for moderately short periods of time. Gave me good indications of where I felt comfortable, what environments I enjoyed or disliked. I think you can use life experience to help determine the likelihood of what's going to float your boat.
I agree. A recce is very useful but it's not essential as long as you've done some reasonable amount of research. My wife and I moved to Toronto despite only ever having a very short stopover in the city on our way through on a bus (worked out; spent 7 great years there). We moved to Vancouver without ever having been there (didn't work out). I turned down a move to Tucson, AZ after a recce trip I took because I didn't feel that my research gave a good enough feel for the place (while there, I just knew it wasn't for us). We moved to Maryland without ever having been there (worked out; still here 16 years later).

And "likelihood" is the key word. You can play the percentages but no-one can know for certain whether a move will work out or not - there are too many variables. Some things you just can't know until you've lived somewhere for a certain amount of time (e.g. some people think they can deal with long, cold, snowy winters and then find that they can't take any more after a few years). Although I do think some people are better than others at having the right attitude and determination that a move will work no matter what. That increases the chances of success even further.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 26th 2014 at 5:45 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't aimed at anyone commenting on this thread in particular, but often people post on here how they plan to emigrate to Canada and will go wherever they can find a job. The motivation is to be employed, not to actually live somewhere their heart really desires. Of course a job is generally necessary, but at the cost of living in an area with notoriously bad weather, nasty biting insects or poor amenities etc? Seems to dilute the immigrants dream somewhat.

I've never really understood that approach. The driving factors to emigrate for me have always made more sense being justified by wanting to be somewhere specific, not just in a vast country 'somewhere', putting up with undesirable factors that just add to the stress of settling in a foreign country.

Is it a lack of research, a lack of appreciation about the geography and climate? A desperation to emigrate at almost any cost? A desire not to back away from the dream they've probably held for a long time?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am with RICH and jossie. Is it a coincidence we are all in BC? Go and live somewhere you want to live and find a way to keep body and soul together. Money, or even the lack of it, doesn't create happiness. The thought of a life spent chasing the next dollar would depress me beyond words.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:48 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You START where you can get a job. Once you have some "canadian work experience" its a lot easier to then move on to somewhere else in Canada if you dont like where you start from.

Living a spot with no bugs and a nicer climate is only any good if you have some income to pay for the nicer things in life.
I've never moved anywhere for a job offer, so perhaps that's where the difference of opinion/experience lies.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've never moved anywhere for a job offer, so perhaps that's where the difference of opinion/experience lies.
I agree with you there. Very few of us have ever been in your position.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have but I also make sure that the job is somewhere I would actually want to live.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I still disagree. The concept of being happy where you live is perfectly straightforward, but as we all know, you can't research whether where "your heart" tells you you'd be happy is right for you before you actually live there.

I've swapped Newcastle for Oxford, Oxford for Cambridge, Cambridge for Riverside CA., Riverside for Toronto, Toronto for Mainz, Mainz for Richmond Hill and soon Richmond Hill for Normandy.

Every swap except the one coming soon has been to advance my career, thereby enabling me to retire in civilization rather than North America. I would add that I've never been unhappy in any of the above places during the time I lived in them.

Total tosh.
I would agree with your approach. What was the problem with the German education system btw?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 6:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I would agree with your approach. What was the problem with the German education system btw?
A bit off topic, but in a nutshell we found the education system, while academically excellent for some (those in Gymnasium), to be highly authoritarian and rigid. It wasn't something we (OH and I) felt very comfortable about.

I could have stayed, moving to a more senior position in a less attractive part of Germany or move to a similar senior position in Toronto. In both cases the jobs were likely the last move we would make in my career.

We chose Canada.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 6:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to say I totally disagree with what is being posted here about going without doing much research. If only because I see people saying they moved for money reasons, well taxes are one consideration, which are in BC and Alberta much lower than they are in Ontario and Québec for example.

Although I suppose I ended up in the GTA after doing research, didn't like it and moved to Calgary with much less research and am happier here.

So it doesn't necessarily tell you the right answer but I think it's definitely worth doing. Knowledge is power.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 6:54 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've got to say I totally disagree with what is being posted here about going without doing much research. If only because I see people saying they moved for money reasons, well taxes are one consideration, which are in BC and Alberta much lower than they are in Ontario and Québec for example.

Although I suppose I ended up in the GTA after doing research, didn't like it and moved to Calgary with much less research and am happier here.

So it doesn't necessarily tell you the right answer but I think it's definitely worth doing. Knowledge is power.
I don't think anyone was arguing against doing research. The discussion was engendered by RICH's puzzlement that so many people intially settle wherever they can find work.

I don't find that puzzling at all, but I'm not self employed or in IT or whatever so can work remotely. Just a working stiff innit?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:30 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think anyone was arguing against doing research. The discussion was engendered by RICH's puzzlement that so many people intially settle wherever they can find work.
The puzzlement is as much as to why 'anywhere' in Canada is better than 'anywhere' in the UK. Given the emotional strains, logistical issues, financial pressures, losing immediate family and friend networks etc, it's a choice I find odd. Are Canadian career opportunities and prospects that much better to not care where you live?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:05 pm
Born again atheist

The puzzlement is as much as to why 'anywhere' in Canada is better than 'anywhere' in the UK. Given the emotional strains, logistical issues, financial pressures, losing immediate family and friend networks etc, it's a choice I find odd. Are Canadian career opportunities and prospects that much better to not care where you live?
Ah, if that was your point then I missed it. I've always moved to a specific job, immensely well researched before a decision reached. I've never once in the past moved to another country because I believed it to be a better country, simply moved to a better job which happens to be in another country.

I don't think the same criteria apply to deciding where to retire though. Climate and culture come very much to the forefront then.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with R I C H on this one... He basically described how I feel about living here ! Its the location that counts and that you will be happy there! Thanks R I C H!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:22 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
I have to agree with R I C H on this one... He basically described how I feel about living here ! Its the location that counts and that you will be happy there! Thanks R I C H!
Actually young Jedi, you don't agree with RICH. You belong to the anywhere in Malta is better than anywhere in Canada minority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.