Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"a truely rural eco sort of life" (sic)

"a truely rural eco sort of life" (sic)

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "a truely rural eco sort of life" (sic)

Originally Posted by Tangram
Maybe Chumley eats his own excrement in order to recycle I haven't the foggiest. Or maybe he lives on the North Shore.... I believe it's paradise there.
this site amuses me no end
no i dont live on the north shore
just trying to be positive for those that want to live the dream without squillions behind them
so much negativity on here dont you think its refreshing to have a poster who has made a success of things???

im not an eco nut either and dont grow my own produce or animals im to idle for that caper
give me the net a pile of dvds a case of bud and a ton of boston cream pie to scoof and im in paradise

i might talk excrement but not attempted to digest to date
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
this site amuses me no end
no i dont live on the north shore
just trying to be positive for those that want to live the dream without squillions behind them
so much negativity on here dont you think its refreshing to have a poster who has made a success of things???

im not an eco nut either and dont grow my own produce or animals im to idle for that caper
give me the net a pile of dvds a case of bud and a ton of boston cream pie to scoof and im in paradise

i might talk excrement but not attempted to digest to date
I assume you grow your own bud but what do you do for alcohol? We spend about $800 a month at the LCBO, as well as usually going through an eighth a month and going to a pub once a week or so, that's better than a grand already (some of it tax deductible).

I think, btw, I should correct a misimpression private mails have lead me to believe I've created. I'm not interested in living in threadbare hemp clothing, eating roots I've torn from the ground and bonding with the earth. Sure, we'd all like to be enjoying Felicity Kendall in her prime, but what interests me is why people think they can go back to the land in Canada and what happens to them after they try. I'm tempted to see rural living as an accelerated path to physical decline, as well as being potentially dangerous, and would be interested to see a post from someone who's made it through a dozen winters.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
We spend about $800 a month at the LCBO
dbd...that is quite the LCBO bill...thats like over $25/day every day. What are you consuming?
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
dbd...that is quite the LCBO bill...thats like over $25/day every day. What are you consuming?
At this moment? A cognac, just a weekday one. An imported beer or cocktail on getting home (say $3), a bottle of wine over dinner (say $25 on a weekday, more on weekends), sometimes after dinner drinks (say $5 apiece). It soon adds up. That's something I find shocking at the parents-in-law's place, they drink much the same; Fullers, Negra Modelo, Remy Martin, french reds, but their bill is trivial by comparison.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Nothing "semi rural" about 70k people Im afraid.

Im my case "Town" is 45k people, and its definitely not rural.

Zoe is dead right. Somehow I doubt that if I lived in town I would now own a chain saw, 5kW generator, 20HP lawn tractor and 2 cars (as independent travel is pretty much an essential for the wife and I living where we do)
I said semi-rural as its not connected to any other town , unless you drive or like to walk 40km you are stuck here unless greyhound is your cup of tea. We are not connected to any of the regional citys, no car and your stuck in this town.

I would not call this city urban in any way shape or form when compared to a real city. Its farm land that happens to have a city in the middle.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 23rd 2008 at 4:39 am.