Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip to Nova Scotia

Trip to Nova Scotia

Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Trip to Nova Scotia

We are not too far off putting in our visa application. One of the places in Canada that really sounds like it would suit us is Nova Scotia. We therefore have decided to do at least a couple of trips before we move there. Our first trip to Nova Scotia is in a few week and I am really looking forward to it. We are staying on Cape Breton, Lunenburg, Chester and Mahone Bay and also a couple of days in Halifax. I have purchased a travel book and have a copy of the Doers and Dreamers Guide. I would however appreciate some advice on what not too miss from other people who have done the same. I know a week won't allow us to have a good look around the place and also what it is like to live there but I hope to gain an initial feeling for the place. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

shell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant futureshell&jim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trip to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by rgilbert
We are not too far off putting in our visa application. One of the places in Canada that really sounds like it would suit us is Nova Scotia. We therefore have decided to do at least a couple of trips before we move there. Our first trip to Nova Scotia is in a few week and I am really looking forward to it. We are staying on Cape Breton, Lunenburg, Chester and Mahone Bay and also a couple of days in Halifax. I have purchased a travel book and have a copy of the Doers and Dreamers Guide. I would however appreciate some advice on what not too miss from other people who have done the same. I know a week won't allow us to have a good look around the place and also what it is like to live there but I hope to gain an initial feeling for the place. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

When are you off to Nova Scotia?

We are going to NS for our first visit on Tuesday for 3 and a half weeks and we are so excited! We have 3 days in Halifax then are hiring a motor home for 18 days and then have 2 nights in Toronto because Canadian Affair cancelled our return flights from Halifax to Manchester! Who are you flying with?

Your choices of places to visit sound good. We are planning to visit all of those and alot more as well as New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.

The Doers' & Dreamers' guide is brilliant, isn't it? You can not imagine getting tourist information so comprehensive for such a large area in this country. We have used it extensively to prepare our itinerary. We are hoping to to spend alot of time along the Sunrise Trail and the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton to catch the Fall Colours.

We applied for Permanent Residence through the Skilled Worker Class in July 2005. We received our AOR in August with a time line of 36 months!

My husband has 2 interviews when we are out there. I am not sure what we will do if he gets a job as we are still unsure if we want to emigrate!

Shell
Old Sep 15th 2005, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Ajay is an unknown quantity at this point

Nova Scotia is stunning

I heartily recommend the Annapolis Valley - Annapolis Royal is the oldest European settlement in North America and was voted the worlds best small community, if you get the chance - go visit

Stay with Faye at the King George inn - she'll make you feel like you never want to go home
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:12 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajay
Nova Scotia is stunning

I heartily recommend the Annapolis Valley - Annapolis Royal is the oldest European settlement in North America and was voted the worlds best small community, if you get the chance - go visit

Stay with Faye at the King George inn - she'll make you feel like you never want to go home
My personal recommendation would be "The Carriage House" on St George Street , Friendly hosts, stunning rooms, very clean, and good food.
Check it out via the link below, Ajay is right about the Valley, it is stunning and we haven't regretted for 1 minute moving here.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lornekeen/
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi, from an NB persons perspective-

The roads have potholes.
On Global TV Atlantic Maritime News at 6pm every evening, it`s about crime in Halifax, ALL THE TIME!!!
Halifax is nice by day, like a smaller version of Dublin, Eire.
The people outside of Halifax are super friendly.
I know, I know, every one has their idea`s about their own province.
But my statement is "air-tight", is it not, readers?
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

For all your house price needs- www.mls.ca
Old Sep 15th 2005, 4:03 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ajay
Sounds like a line from Great Big Sea song

(OK, I know they're Newfs)
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:20 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

We are at the other end of the annapolis valley near Wolfville. It is a University town with a lot to offer but the countryside and views are amazing. Just try the local fruit and veg from the farm markets....the best I have ever tasted!
The locals tell me that it averages 55 days more sunshine than Halifax and the south shore and judging by my improving suntan it may even be true

Actually the whole of the valley is lovely but here it is still only about 50 minutes from Halifax.....many commute!

There you have it....one biased opinion and I have just been here 10 days so check it all out for sure. Good travels.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi, from an NB persons perspective-

The roads have potholes.
On Global TV Atlantic Maritime News at 6pm every evening, it`s about crime in Halifax, ALL THE TIME!!!
Halifax is nice by day, like a smaller version of Dublin, Eire.
The people outside of Halifax are super friendly.
I know, I know, every one has their idea`s about their own province.
But my statement is "air-tight", is it not, readers?

Actually not to many in Ns really watch Gobal news....it is owned by a NBer....Years ago it used tobe good to watch but has really slipped down in the ratings....stick with a Nova Scotia Broadcaster!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 12:06 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

We fly into Halifax on Thursday next, so we will just miss you!

I like the look of the B&B so might make that a stop on our way around.