Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tried and failed!

Tried and failed!

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tried and failed!

Best wishes to you and your family!

I don't think that you have "failed", you tried it and it didn't fit, nothing wrong with that! At least you won't be looking back in 10 years time thinking "what if?".

Hope you feel happier and settle back in the UK quickly....

xxx
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:27 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Top Cat
So,

To cut a very long story short.. we moved to Calgary in March this year and embarked upon this life we had been planning for years.

Hubby got a job relatively early, which is good but it doesnt pay good and we are having to subsidise with our little pot of savings...

I have hit a brick wall regarding my work as a nurse.. Just No jobs, and no point in getting registered to work in Alberta as they dont have enough jobs for their own newly qualified nurses..

Anyhow our children are little and I am enjoying spending time with them but boy am I lonely! I have tried mom and toddler groups and moms at the school, but I feel that Canadian moms keep to themselves.. ' a generalisation I know but true in my case'.

I have always prided myself on being a good communicator and able to make friens easily.. not here!

I know its still early days... but hubby feels the same!

I am not down about Canada as it is a wonderful country and a better place for children..I think..

We cannot survive here being so unhappy.. financially its crippling us!

All in all, we miss family so much and have decided to return to the UK Im sure lots of you will say..'its early days stick at it' and ' didnt you know this before you moved'.

So......... if anyone is looking for a nice house to rent in Copperfield, Calgary from mid August let me know... oh and a Dodge caravan with low kms to buy...

send me a pm if anyone is interested.

No negative replies please as im pretty fed up already..

Regards Top Cat
It's funny because in many ways I'm envious of you for having the courage to call it a day. I miss England terribly and would love to return. But having been here 5 years and now quite settled with the kids in school etc., it's hard to justify the upheaval of another big move back to the UK.

I can also empathize with you about how difficult it is to mix socially here. We just have different experiences to our Canadian counterparts, so tend to have a different outlook on life.

My wife is also a nurse, but in Ontario. She worked in A&E in London before moving here, and got a job no problem. I believe there are still plenty of jobs here. Have you looked into moving provinces before you go back to the UK? Ontario is nice and the winters not as bad as Alberta.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Nurse SIL told me last Sat. of nurse shortage in QC and ON . . . best of luck.

http://www.cna-nurses.ca/CNA/issues/hhr/default_e.aspx
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dthomas
Nurse SIL told me last Sat. of nurse shortage in QC and ON . . . best of luck.

http://www.cna-nurses.ca/CNA/issues/hhr/default_e.aspx
That doesn't talk of a shortage now but a projected shortage. Many of ontario's nurses are approaching retirement age. In my area RNs are being laid off and there are job freezes.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 4:21 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I hope moving back makes you happy. Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV

In the meantime, I'm in Calgary so if you fancy a meet up drop me a PM - we could take the kids to one of the parks for a few hours.
^ This

I am another one in Calgary who would be happy to meet up for a cuppa sometime...

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

So,

To cut a very long story short.. we moved to Calgary in March this year and embarked upon this life we had been planning for years.

Hubby got a job relatively early, which is good but it doesnt pay good and we are having to subsidise with our little pot of savings...

I have hit a brick wall regarding my work as a nurse.. Just No jobs, and no point in getting registered to work in Alberta as they dont have enough jobs for their own newly qualified nurses..

Anyhow our children are little and I am enjoying spending time with them but boy am I lonely! I have tried mom and toddler groups and moms at the school, but I feel that Canadian moms keep to themselves.. ' a generalisation I know but true in my case'.

I have always prided myself on being a good communicator and able to make friens easily.. not here!

I am not down about Canada as it is a wonderful country and a better place for children..I think..

All in all, we miss family so much and have decided to return to the UK Im sure lots of you will say..'its early days stick at it' and ' didnt you know this before you moved'.

So......... if anyone is looking for a nice house to rent in Copperfield, Calgary from mid August let me know... oh and a Dodge caravan with low kms to buy...

Regards Top Cat
Why is hubby not earning enough, ? did you not research before you came his earning potential? or are you just spending/renting to high ? And giving in after barely 3 months. I know you didn't want any negative replies and i dont meen to be hurtfull, but it seems to me that you only have yourselves to blame for your plight. I dont consider that you have tried and that you have just given up.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:35 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

So,

Regards Top Cat
You have to do what you feel is right...and I would imagine most people on here will be supportive, a coupla months isnt very long, but If you've thought it through then thats that..

We are all grown ups (ok, most of us) and can make responsible adult decisions..

Good luck with everything...
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

I would like to think that its allways darkest before Dawn
I would say never say never, If a job popped up doing something other than nursing then that would help with the finance and give you co-workers, being at home with no work in England might will be just as hard, just keep your options open and treat every day as a new day and try and stay positive
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Pearly P is an unknown quantity at this point

So,

Regards Top Cat
Hi Top Cat

I just want you to know that you are not alone in your feelings of despair in a new country. Myself, other half and two little uns arrived in 2006, and I spent the first six months crying. With so much new and nothing familiar to hang on to, it's very tough. Fortunately, things have gone well and we are settled now, but it does take time.

Good luck x
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

While people are very adaptable to their surroundings. But if it's that painful at first, it's probably telling you something.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Why is hubby not earning enough, ? did you not research before you came his earning potential? or are you just spending/renting to high ? And giving in after barely 3 months. I know you didn't want any negative replies and i dont meen to be hurtfull, but it seems to me that you only have yourselves to blame for your plight. I dont consider that you have tried and that you have just given up.
obnoxious git
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

We are in the process of applying now after a couple of years research and posts like this make me slightly nervous I must admit. Absolutely no question of failure regarding your decision but do you think you have given it your best shot? People have already replied saying they will meet up with you which is encoraging. It sounds like perhaps a bout of homesickness has set in, which is totally understandable. Are you going to be better off on your return to the UK? Do you work in the Public sector? I hope not as there will be hundreds of thousands of job cuts over the next couple of years. Just announced is a 20% VAT rate from next Jan and Working Tax credits are going to be slashed. As usual the working man with a family is going to be hammered the hardest. Just something to bear in mind. I would seriously think about trying to give it 12 months or so then see how things are. I have a feeling you may want to return soon if you do come back. Good luck with your decision though.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

I would have to agree with some of the other posters that 3 months really seems hardly long enough to be in the position to make a decision about whether to go back or not yet.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 12:19 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Three months is really short. When I came the recruiter said thast around 3-4 months people often hit a wall of homesickness & that is the peak time for those saying they want to go home! Nearly 2 years later I'm still waiting!! I never experienced it but am aware it happens & am thinking you may have hit this mark too.

I'm also in Calgary (& a nurse) so feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to meet up. With the way the UK is right now it may be a case of out the frying pan into the fire!

Whatever you decide, I do wish you all the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.