Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

travelling to usa on a canadian temp res

travelling to usa on a canadian temp res

Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:30 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling to usa on a canadian temp res

Hi we are in Toronto and my daughter is going on a school trip to New York in April and her passport expires in June. Should we be cautious and get a new passport for her new and also do we have to apply to it in the UK? My cousin seems to think Ottawa has a passport office for UK passport renewals? Has anyone travelled to USA on a temp resident visa?
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling to usa on a canadian temp res

Don't you need six month passport validity to enter America?
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hi we are in Toronto and my daughter is going on a school trip to New York in April and her passport expires in June. Should we be cautious and get a new passport for her new and also do we have to apply to it in the UK? My cousin seems to think Ottawa has a passport office for UK passport renewals? Has anyone travelled to USA on a temp resident visa?
1. For a visit to the US as she is not a Canadian citizen, she requires a passport valid for 6 months past the date of departure: http://travel.state.gov/content/visa...r-program.html
2. Nope you have to apply to the UK now a days https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
3. She probably doesn't have TRV, she probably has a study/visitor permit. She will be fine.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:50 pm
Gained PR July 2014

Hi PMM so when you say she will be fine do you mean there won't be any issues but she will definitely need a new passport? many thanks
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:53 pm
Gained PR July 2014

also meant to say she is travelling by bus so the electronic thing is invalid if that is only applicable to air travel? Or can she get a visa which is appropriate to land travel?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:04 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

The 6 month restriction is not in place for British citizens (cos they can just send you back there if Canada won't let you back in)
I checked it in October as daughter was 4 months away from expired.
Passports are done in uk now and very quick! Our daughters was back 7 days after they received it.
We went into USA on TWP, although it was for the purposes of renewing said visa and we had all paperwork in hand.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:41 am
Gained PR July 2014

i will just renew now as it has to be done this year anyway thanks everyone
Old Jan 27th 2014, 3:10 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Won't she need the visa waiver thing, maybe it's different for schools? Would it be wise to travel to the border with her before the trip so she has it already? Will save her being different to her classmates.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Won't she need the visa waiver thing, maybe it's different for schools? Would it be wise to travel to the border with her before the trip so she has it already? Will save her being different to her classmates.
Will she be flying or crossing the border overland (bus?)?

When my PR son (British passport) travelled on a school trip to the US a few years ago, I did get ESTA for him, thinking this would eliminate any border problems. The bus was in the end delayed for sometime at the border, as Immigration agents made thorough checks on my son's credentials (I had supplied him with more, rather than less copies of paperwork, but It still merited a long telephone conversation with agents). A classmate's status also contributed to delays (US born, travelling on Cdn passport).

Fortunately, the other classmates on the trip found it more amusing than otherwise, & still joke about the experience today. The school & teachers were less amused ...
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If travelling by Air she will need an ESTA.
If travelling by bus/car she will need the I94 waiver which costs $6 and valid for 90 days. The I94 could be done before she travels but if not she will be paying USCBP a visit when the vehicle crosses.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...toApplyforESTA
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Bats is right - she'll need an I94W visa waiver form. This is issued at the border, but requires a visit to the secondary inspection office and might delay the whole busload for an hour or more if the office is busy.

If it's at all possible, once you have her new passport and within 90 days of the planned visit (i.e. sometime during March would be ideal) pop down to the border and get the paperwork done - even if that's a day trip to Niagara Falls and a walk over the Rainbow Bridge. That way she'll already have the form in her passport and will not need to be pulled for secondary at the border.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:01 pm
Gained PR July 2014

yes its all bus and perhaps day trip would be ideal as dont want to delay her school trip on an already packed schedule thanks so much everyone