Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the UK and testing?

Travelling to the UK and testing?

Old Oct 29th 2021, 3:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling to the UK and testing?

It looks like I need to get a test done after 2 days in the UK and one 72 hours before I return.

My concern is I fly back on a Sunday. Can a test be done and the results received in time? Are they working Saturday and Sunday?

Here you just pop to Shoppers Drug Mart which is nice and straight forward- I'm hearing about rogue testing companies in the UK taking money online and not delivering.

Has anyone done this recently? anyone been over and are there testing services that worked well for you?
Old Oct 29th 2021, 3:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to the UK and testing?

Originally Posted by JamesM
It looks like I need to get a test done after 2 days in the UK and one 72 hours before I return.

My concern is I fly back on a Sunday. Can a test be done and the results received in time? Are they working Saturday and Sunday?

Here you just pop to Shoppers Drug Mart which is nice and straight forward- I'm hearing about rogue testing companies in the UK taking money online and not delivering.

Has anyone done this recently? anyone been over and are there testing services that worked well for you?
Air Canada now have a test pack you can order and take with you I think. In any event, now you only need a lateral flow test rather than PCR for your day 2 arrival test. Also, you can take the day 2 test anytime up to day 2 so immediately you arrive if you wish.
https://www.covid19-testing.org/travel-testing has an element of comparison and rating of providers. For my trip in September I used MyHealthCheck for the day 2 test - PCR sefl test, sent to my parents, reference number for my UK passenger locator form, returned vis prepaid envelope and Royal Mail, test results online the next day. For my return to Canada I went to Assured Screenings site at Kings Cross station. Again a self test but drop box on site. I paid for the results by the end of the next day service. It is possible to get a test at the airport outbound but you are going to be a) getting their early and b) paying a premium for 3 hr turnaround.
Old Oct 30th 2021, 2:24 pm
ACF
Just Joined

ACF is an unknown quantity at this point

We used https://store.coronatestcentre.com/ (there are other providers of course) to do home tests on Day 2 when we returned to the UK. It was easy and quite cheap (we did lateral flow) but you do need to order far enough in advance so that the kit is waiting for you in the UK (don't order it upon arrival as it will likely not arrive in time).
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I was staying quite close to Manchester airport and there is a testing company, Collinsons, that have both a walk through and a drive through option. I went back to the airport the day after I arrived and went to the walkthrough for my Day 2 test, picked up my hire car at the same time. Then drove back on the Friday evening to the drive through one ready for my flight back to Canada on Monday. My main problem was that my flight was after 5pm on Monday and many of the test centres shut at 5pm and didn't work weekends so the 72 hour before getting on flight was an issue. Collinsons worked until 7 so I got a test at 6:30pm and prayed that my flight wouldn't be delayed.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 5:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I was staying quite close to Manchester airport and there is a testing company, Collinsons, that have both a walk through and a drive through option. I went back to the airport the day after I arrived and went to the walkthrough for my Day 2 test, picked up my hire car at the same time. Then drove back on the Friday evening to the drive through one ready for my flight back to Canada on Monday. My main problem was that my flight was after 5pm on Monday and many of the test centres shut at 5pm and didn't work weekends so the 72 hour before getting on flight was an issue. Collinsons worked until 7 so I got a test at 6:30pm and prayed that my flight wouldn't be delayed.
That's my concern. The 72 hour one before I fly out! I pushed might flight back already because I sensed getting it done around New Years Day would be an issue.
Old Nov 6th 2021, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

That's my concern. The 72 hour one before I fly out! I pushed might flight back already because I sensed getting it done around New Years Day would be an issue.
Both of my tests were done on a Friday - the first one around lunchtime - I had the results when I woke up next day and the second one, as I said around 6:30pm and results came in about 4pm next day. I do think the physically turning up speeded up the process as I knew the had the test in their hands rather than dropping it into some mailbox on the high street.
Old Nov 9th 2021, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I tested on arrival at Manchester Airport in October before flying out again 2 days later. I had the results emailed to me same day. Company was Randox.
Old Nov 12th 2021, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I tested on arrival at Manchester Airport in October before flying out again 2 days later. I had the results emailed to me same day. Company was Randox.
Quite a few questions doing the rounds about the way the company was awarded contracts with HM Gov but we have used Randox many times and found them efficient, fast and reasonably priced.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 5:12 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Just booked my flight back to the UK for a couple of weeks time. I’m a bit nervous about the prospect of actually catching COVID while I’m over there and getting stuck away from the kids.

I booked my third dose for tomorrow to narrow my chances. Now to book COVID tests. £100 seems pretty standard for the PCR test to get back into Canada?
Old Nov 14th 2021, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Just booked my flight back to the UK for a couple of weeks time. I’m a bit nervous about the prospect of actually catching COVID while I’m over there and getting stuck away from the kids.

I booked my third dose for tomorrow to narrow my chances. Now to book COVID tests. £100 seems pretty standard for the PCR test to get back into Canada?
How did you manage to book for a 3rd Covid shot…did you have 2 AZ shots?

I know some of the centers in Toronto giving booster shots to over 70s, immune compromised, 2 AZ shots etc were empty the other day. Hardly any of the time slots had been taken. It’s about time they started to lower the age limit.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I used a company called Collinson the PCR test was 69 pounds, reduced to 55.20 with a promotional code.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 6:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I know some of the centers in Toronto giving booster shots to over 70s, immune compromised, 2 AZ shots etc were empty the other day. Hardly any of the time slots had been taken. It’s about time they started to lower the age limit.
I posted about this the other day...
Originally Posted by Siouxie
Health Ontario are recommending that if you had Astra Zeneca double vaccine or Janssen single vaccine 6+ months ago you may be offered a booster dose of an MRNA vaccine, regardless of age...
https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/...mendations.pdf
Old Nov 14th 2021, 9:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a nurse public facing; had my second shot right at the beginning of April.
Old Nov 14th 2021, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a nurse public facing; had my second shot right at the beginning of April.

I thought that may be it. I remembered you were a nurse and your husband a doctor. Thanks.

Hope your visit home goes well.
Old Nov 15th 2021, 11:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

H It’s about time they started to lower the age limit.
I don't think it's age limit. I'm allowed the booster but it has to be 6 months after the second jab so I'm not due till mid December.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.