Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transporting Pets

Transporting Pets

Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice
Default Re: Transporting Pets

Originally Posted by oldnotwise
Yes thats for both dogs each in large varikennel and it's still costing more for them than it us for us in premium class. To be honest the cash is was less of an issue than just making sure that the dogs are on the same flight as us.

Mike

Yes, that's what we're hoping for when our time comes. I couldn't bear to think of him not being on the same flight as us
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:53 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Just spoke to Mark Roblett 01784 431831, he deals with pets travelling as cargo for Air Transat from Gatwick & Heathrow, they DO ACCEPT PETS (cats/dogs)
For flights from Manchester & Glasgow call Steve Daivdson on 0161 498 9090
Just spoke to Steve to confirm roughly how much to transport a choc labrador in a size 5 vari kennel - will be roughly £640 max, may be less but would need other info before could advise exact price.
Thought you would all like to know
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

X9DJJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I would just like to thank you all for your help. I have had a quote from Transat and they are very reasonable - half the cost to Zoom airlines. Thanks again!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by X9DJJ
I would just like to thank you all for your help. I have had a quote from Transat and they are very reasonable - half the cost to Zoom airlines. Thanks again!
Could you share with us how much the quote is...cheers
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Susibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

£2500.00 with Zoom for 3 German Shepherds ( I think this price included crates) and £1200 with Air Transat for 3 dogs & 1 cat but no crates. Quite a differnece!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:36 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susibabe
£2500.00 with Zoom for 3 German Shepherds ( I think this price included crates) and £1200 with Air Transat for 3 dogs & 1 cat but no crates. Quite a differnece!
oooh thats good - from where to where if you dont mind me asking?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

holbendem is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Transporting Pets

Originally Posted by X9DJJ
Hi to everyone. Ive looked at this forum many times over the past year and found lots of useful info but this is my first posting. After many months of waiting I have finally recieved confirmation that I can travel to Canada on a work permit. My family are coming with me and that also includes my 3 dogs. I was wondering if anyone out there could possibly tell me who would be the cheapest company to use to transport my dogs. I have had a quote from Ladyhaye and it works out at about £1000.00 per dog from London to Calgary but we then need to get to Saskatchewan. Any info would be much appreciated.
Hi just got here last wk, flew into Calgary from Manchester. We flew with 2 dogs and 1 cat on Zoom we used Animal airlines and they charged us £1279 for all three, they arrived in cargo and after a short time in immigration we were off to collect them. This company is run so good I would not hehesitateo reccomend them to anyone.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

oldnotwise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by holbendem
Hi just got here last wk, flew into Calgary from Manchester. We flew with 2 dogs and 1 cat on Zoom we used Animal airlines and they charged us £1279 for all three, they arrived in cargo and after a short time in immigration we were off to collect them. This company is run so good I would not hehesitateo reccomend them to anyone.
Thats really good to hear as we fly out of Manchester on the 12th April with our two dogs via Zoom. Would you mind letting me know if you got charged any extra fees when you landed in Calgary and how long before you got to see your pets. I'm dreading the flight as like most people my dogs have never flown before so although I'd never leave them behind, I am worried about how they'll cope.

Hope that everything is working out for you and your family, Mike.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all

does everyone rely on air shipping firms to transport their pets? Has anyone done all the leg work themselves?
all input appreciated as usual
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:26 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey9863
does everyone rely on air shipping firms to transport their pets? Has anyone done all the leg work themselves?
no - most people seem to be doing it themselves - a lot cheaper by the looks of it!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:50 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

we're doing it ourselves with Air Canada probably, seems really cheap to me. I can't justify spending over a grand when it'd cost me £400 max to do the leg work myself.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

holbendem is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldnotwise
Thats really good to hear as we fly out of Manchester on the 12th April with our two dogs via Zoom. Would you mind letting me know if you got charged any extra fees when you landed in Calgary and how long before you got to see your pets. I'm dreading the flight as like most people my dogs have never flown before so although I'd never leave them behind, I am worried about how they'll cope.

Hope that everything is working out for you and your family, Mike.
Hi Mike
When we landed at Calgary we went into immigration to get my work permit it took about 1 hour then we were asked about goods to follow then had to go to cargo 5 min drive down road we got papers stamped to show the legal bits then we went back to customs in airport and paid $36 to have papers checked and stamped then back to cargo to see animals then pay about $56 to have them released. all in all it took about 3 hours but the animals are not left allone and they just came out a bit sheepish until they saw us then back to normal the cat did't even bother to wake up for us she just snoozed until she got in the car then all hell broke loose with her meowing so load because she is hard of hearing being 17.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

X9DJJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
oooh thats good - from where to where if you dont mind me asking?
We are flying from Gatwick to Calgary. The price with Zoom airlines was through Animal Airlines but it's quite it a bit of difference to what Holbendem paid. Can only assume it's down to the size of the dogs!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

There really isn't much to do in terms of leg-work.
You need to get a rabies vaccine, (you don't have to do the antibodies screening thing) and make sure other vaccines are up-to-date. Bring the vaccine certificate together with a fit-to-fly certificate (letter) from your vet. (The vet has to have done some course to do this so not every vet can, so ask!)
note: You don't strictly need the rabies vaccine for entry but you are likely to have to have it done when you get here .....

You don't need microchips, and you don't need a pet passport unless you plan on bringing them back to UK.

You do need an adequate sized and airline approved crate. You can get details on how to measure from web-sites. eg http://www.ukdogguards.co.uk/vari-kennels.html