Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Old May 7th 2009, 5:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I'm finding that here, My last home the nieghbours on one side called themselves Finish and Scandanavian (he was third generation she was second), the other side called themselves English and Ukranian (he was fourth generation, she was born here BUT yes the WHOLE town she grew up in was 99.9% Ukranian). The couple across the road she called herself chinese ( her sister claimed to be korean, if you can work that one out ) but was born here and he actually 'admited' to being 'Canadian' (though he looked the same ethnic group as his wife).
Oh that gets right up my bum when people are like that. Yes be proud of heritage and family history BUT a 3rd Generation "East Indian" born, bred and certified in England with a British passport only................IS ENGLISH.

Last edited by el_richo; May 7th 2009 at 6:05 pm. Reason: I'm a wally
Old May 7th 2009, 5:30 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
There is no "blood count" on Metis status. It would be difficult to claim if the shagging was done generations ago, though.
Sorry Souv I'm being dumb here. Can you explain the no 'blood count'?
Old May 7th 2009, 5:32 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Oh that gets right up my bum when people are like that. Yes be proud of heritage and family history BUT a 3rd Generation "East Indian" born, bred and certified in England with an English passport only................IS ENGLISH.
OK I'm not going to jump on you (too hard) because I agree (mostly) BUT you cant get a freaking English Passport
Old May 7th 2009, 5:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'm not going to jump on you (too hard) because I agree (mostly) BUT you cant get a freaking English Passport
Nor can you be an "East Indian".
Old May 7th 2009, 5:35 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok my bad

Last edited by el_richo; May 7th 2009 at 5:36 pm. Reason: Brain has shut down
Old May 7th 2009, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Financially I don't think I could have done better elsewhere, although having made and squandered a lot of money isn't perhaps much of an acheivement. However I sought to look beyond crass materialism; perhaps in inspirational surroundings I might have been a poet or in some other way improved the world.
With prose such as post #42, I wouldn't have given up the day job.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:36 pm
Beep

I quoted that purely for the benefit of the Canadians
Old May 7th 2009, 5:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Souv I'm being dumb here. Can you explain the no 'blood count'?
I think the legal definition of Metis is rather vague. If you worked on the basis of a bit of European-Indian shagging, half the population of QC would be Metis. I'm no expert but I think there are various self-identification and other criteria that come into play.

Souvette has some wagon-burner in her, on her mum's side and several generations back. She's no Metis, although handy with an axe.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:40 pm
Banned

Reminds me of a chat we had with a friend now living in Dubai.

Sohail (so you can guess his ethnic origin) always calls himself Brown English. I told him that here he would be refered to as East Indian, there then ensued a prolong period of his explaining how his family (originally) left the West Coast of India (around Mumbai) and Iran (Parsee) travelled via East Africa (over generations) and finally arrived in Manchester. Eventually I had to point that if he refered to himself as West Indian people would be shocked at his physical appearance.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think the legal definition of Metis is rather vague. If you worked on the basis of a bit of European-Indian shagging, half the population of QC would be Metis. I'm no expert but I think there are various self-identification and other criteria that come into play.

Souvette has some wagon-burner in her, on her mum's side and several generations back. She's no Metis, although handy with an axe.
Ah thanks, yeah thats what I thought as well.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I like Toronto. I agree it's ugly, but it's got an interesting vibe to it and there are some great neighbourhoods that are pretty. I would rather live there than London (agree with whoever said parts of London are VERY ugly) or anywhere in Alberta, personally.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:48 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
sorry but IMHO the two best cities are Toronto and Vancouver, with Montreal as an outlier for 3rd
I agree. Didn't think much of Ottawa, though.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I like Toronto. I agree it's ugly, but it's got an interesting vibe to it and there are some great neighbourhoods that are pretty. I would rather live there than London (agree with whoever said parts of London are VERY ugly) or anywhere in Alberta, personally.
Just couldnt stop yourself could ya
Old May 7th 2009, 6:55 pm

Just couldnt stop yourself could ya

Why do you care what I think? Honestly, if you're happy there, good for you. There is no 100% perfect place for everyone.

I just know as another poster said Alberta is not for me. That doesn't mean it's bad. I know there are stunning parts of the province. For what I'm looking for out of a city, Van, followed by Tdot is the best fit.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by newshoney
Troll or not, it only takes one visit to see that Toronto has little to recommend it (and that's not just Western bias talking). I agree that Niagara Falls is slightly better (I have family there) provided you don't get trapped in the sub-Disney hellish bits in the lead up to the falls themselves.

Seriously guys, if you had the choice of a decent job and house in the Rockies compared with ditto in Toronto, which would you choose?
I was responding to this, btw, Butch.

I would choose Toronto. I guess I"m not a biased enough Westerner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.