Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Old May 6th 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

esha100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Just came back after spending 2 weeks in Toronto. Wasn't one bit impressed with the city. Most people there moan about how cold winters are, and how the place is full of too many emmigrants.
We live in London and despite it being congested its pretty cosy here.
I toronto we went downtown to the Eaton centre and found it was nothing as nice as the New Westfield center we have in lodnon.
Overall I give Toronto the thumbs down. Only place i liked was Niagra falls.
We were staying in Oakville for 5 days and Butlington for 7 days
Old May 6th 2009, 7:51 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto's pretty Ugly compared to London

Originally Posted by esha100
Just came back after spending 2 weeks in Toronto. Wasn't one bit impressed with the city. Most people there moan about how cold winters are, and how the place is full of too many emmigrants.
I toronto we went downtown to the Eaton centre and found it was nothing as nice as the New Westfield center we have in lodnon.
Downtown Toronto is ugly. There is no doubt about that. Downtown Oakville and Burlington are pretty and contsin many "you bastard" houses.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

London, Eng or London, ON
Old May 6th 2009, 7:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Depends which bits you look at I suppose. Its not going to be everyones cup of tea. I rather like Roy Thomson hall and the modern sky scrapers, but its never going to be the same as St Pauls or the more historic bits of London?

And it is cold in the winter! Be stupid to pretend otherwise.

Niagara is possibly the cheesiest place on the planet once you venture from the parkway! Its like Great Yarmouth, only devoid of the charm...
Old May 6th 2009, 8:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to BE

Interesting first post.

Anything else you don't like?
Old May 6th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Welcome to BE

Interesting first post.

Anything else you don't like?
lol that was my reaction...

Ah well the Tdot isn't for everyone ;-)
Old May 6th 2009, 8:09 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Sniff sniff - is there a whiff of troll in the air?
Old May 6th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

As a casual visitor to both London, UK and Toronto, ON over the years, I prefer Toronto. Easier to get around, less cramped feel, nicer, cleaner, underground. I kind of like the modern architecture in places (although admittedly there are plenty of ugly areas - but so has London). Center Island is a nice park-type escape. In summer, at the times I've visited I would say it was warmer in Toronto on average, with the warmth staying further into the evening. Obviously it is going to be cold out of summer - this is Canada after all

Complaints about immigrants? Kind of ironic if you were planning to be one... I would say London would have its fair share too...

My impressions of Niagara Falls were that it was basically a North American Blackpool. Nice waterfall though. Niagara-on-the-lake is 'pleasant'.
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is not everyone's cup of tea but I love the city, you cannot compare it with London as they are both great for different reasons and each have their own charms.
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It is ugly but since most people there are emmigrants I don't think they really complain about themselves.
Old May 6th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Troll or not, it only takes one visit to see that Toronto has little to recommend it (and that's not just Western bias talking). I agree that Niagara Falls is slightly better (I have family there) provided you don't get trapped in the sub-Disney hellish bits in the lead up to the falls themselves.

Seriously guys, if you had the choice of a decent job and house in the Rockies compared with ditto in Toronto, which would you choose?
Old May 6th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Sniff sniff - is there a whiff of troll in the air?
Sounds like that to me. Or someone we don't want in Canada anyway!!!
Old May 6th 2009, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Were you expecting Georgian architecture in a Canadian city?!?

I'm not a fan of Toronto either but then I never expected it to be pretty. And I am gobsmacked that you thought Niagara was nice, I thought it was tacky beyond belief - the falls are (obviously) amazing, but the rest of Niagara is a bit of a Blackpool type dump imo.
Old May 6th 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

if you think toronto is ugly, do not go to winnipeg!
Old May 6th 2009, 8:29 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
Seriously guys, if you had the choice of a decent job and house in the Rockies compared with ditto in Toronto, which would you choose?
Toronto...

It one of the two cities that approachs being modern and civilised

I'd swap for Vancouver but thats it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.