Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto to Upstate New york ( Rochester ) in 2hrs:15secs

Toronto to Upstate New york ( Rochester ) in 2hrs:15secs

Old May 1st 2004, 12:12 pm
mickj

Default Toronto to Upstate New york ( Rochester ) in 2hrs:15secs

Apologies first, i meant 15 minutes, not secs. Can't wait for this service to get running, it might be one way to beat all that border crossing traffic. One of my favourite places in the state of new york, is upstate, places like lake placid, the Adirondacks and rochester, might be a nice treat for my better half's upcoming birthday !

With this new service, we might even leave the car in TO and just take our bicycles on the ferry. If you've never been to Finger Lakes, you definitely must see the place, its absolutely gorgeous, and the wineries round there are pretty good, sort of reminds me of parts of Vermont. If you do go to Vermont, Ben&Jerry's ice cream factory is a must see ( Cherry Garcia, love it ), seems there are more varieties in the UK than there is in CND.

http://www.spiritofontario.com/Index.asp

Useful websites for Toronto and Rochester:

https://www.thebreeze.com/secure/Eco...gs_Details.asp

Happy sailing

Last edited by mickj; May 2nd 2004 at 4:46 am.

Old May 1st 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea and yes the finger lakes are nice - but seems pricey - return is over $100 cdn

I remember inteh UK you could cross teh channel and go to France for ten punds return (usually with a newspaper special offer) ...

anyway good luck to the service hope it expands (and gets cheaper) ..

They should have some fast ferries moving people to and from Toronto in the rush hours!
Old May 3rd 2004, 4:49 am
mickj

Am sure as time goes on, its going to get very cheap, and there will be more trips per day each way. When the Eurostar started, it was just like this, and a couple of years later, you were able to get vouchers from boots that gives you a buy one get one free option, that was the case last year when we went to blighty and paris.

I just think is going to be a nice experience, to just sit there and catch the view from TO to Rochester, the two cinemas onboard and the bars and stuff, its kind of like the poor man's QM2. Thats going to be Er' indoors's birthday birthday gift.
Attached Thumbnails Toronto to Upstate New york ( Rochester ) in 2hrs:15secs-anigeo.gif  

Old May 5th 2004, 2:41 am
mickj

If only they will finish the Toronto side on time, where is German efficiency when you need it !
Attached Thumbnails Toronto to Upstate New york ( Rochester ) in 2hrs:15secs-downtown%252btoronto.jpg  

Old May 17th 2004, 7:31 am
mickj

Is anyone going to be trying this ferry out? Its just another experience and a day-out kind of trip, its not the same when you drive !
Attached Thumbnails Toronto to Upstate New york ( Rochester ) in 2hrs:15secs-on1k1.jpg  

Old May 17th 2004, 7:51 am
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by mickj
Is anyone going to be trying this ferry out? Its just another experience and a day-out kind of trip, its not the same when you drive !
It shaves 40 minutes off the drive from NYC so I'm pleased about it...OK, its not much when you consider its an 8 hour drive...but with the last two hours benig no a boat, what better way to rest up before arriving in Toronto.

gotta be great that.