Reload this Page >

Toronto Supermarkets

Toronto Supermarkets

Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Stivo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto Supermarkets

Hello everyone,

This is my first post although I'm sure others will follow.

My family and I will be moving to Toronto to live in North York on late April.

I'm starting to gather information on the more 'mundane' aspects of living in Canada.

My first question is regarding supermarkets in the area.

On recent trips we've used 'No Frills' but weren't too impressed.

I've discovered that there's a couple of Dominion Supermarkets in the North York area and, from their website, they seem better than No Frills.

I'd be grateful of any advice on what to expect from a Canadian supermarket. For instance, are there any in which you can do all of your weekly grocery shopping?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Feb 16th 2005, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice
Default Re: Toronto Supermarkets

Most Canadian supermarkets are pretty much like UK supermarkets - you can do all your weekly shopping there, though it will cost more than if you go to individual butchers, bakers, vegetable shops, etc.

I wouldn't recommend the No Frills, Price Chopper and Food Basics stores. We didn't have these in NS and I was quite surprised to find how prevalent they are in Toronto. They aren't really what I think of as supermarkets, just dirty, grungy stops where you can pick up some chips or pop on short notice. I would stay far away from their meat and vegetables.

Dominion Store is the best supermarket I have found in Toronto, and Loblaws is pretty good as well. There aren't many Sobeys around, but if you live near one they are also good. These three are what I would consider "real" grocery stores, similar to Sainsbury's and Tesco.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:07 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Fortinos and Marylins Markets also come highly recommended too.

If you can get a card, Costco have really good value for money, and are good for buying large items e.g. TV's
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnyaT

I wouldn't recommend the No Frills, Price Chopper and Food Basics stores. We didn't have these in NS and I was quite surprised to find how prevalent they are in Toronto. They aren't really what I think of as supermarkets, just dirty, grungy stops where you can pick up some chips or pop on short notice. I would stay far away from their meat and vegetables.
Funny, Ive always considered NoFrills and the like to be about the the last place to just pop out to.
Its good for a weekly shop if you buy in BULK. About as cheep as it gets for most things, except meat which is expensive compared to other places. I like the Loblaws / "Your Independant.." stores, but they cost more than NoFrills (which is also a Loblaws affiliate).

I guess you can tell the better stores from the pile it high sell it quick end of the market as they are the ones who will bag your groceries for you. At the cheep end of the market you have to pay extra for the plastic bags or take the empty grocery boxes, and pack your own stuff.

Generally supermarkets here dont seem to have the same selection of stuff I used to find in ASDA, but thats life, you cant have everything and its a small inconvenience in the greater scheme of things.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

We use Price Chopper for the basics and then Zehrs for the extra's, but then this is from somebody who misses shopping at Aldi and Iceland.

It's a matter of choice, there are things I but in one store and wouldn't look at in another and vice versa.

In our neck of the woods we have Zehr's, Price Chopper, Food Basica and a Del Pietro.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

xunzi will become famous soon enough

We do our shopping at No Frills. I don't have a problem with 'em. I do have a nice butchers and bakers down the road in case I want something decent. Other than that, we do hed to Zehrs occasionally also.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

illusion is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't find any difference between the UK supermarkets and Canadian. May be that some supermarkets like Joe Frills charge you for a bag like Kwik Save, but have all the things you need for your weekly or monthly food shopping and more. You might not find the exact brand you are used to in the UK but you shouldn't expect that. If you do then you need to do your shopping in ASDA or TESCO online :scared:
By the way Loblaws, Atlantic Superstore, Fortinos, Zehrs, Provigo, The Real Canadian Superstore, Your Independent Grocer, Joe Frills and more are all owned by a single company, Loblaw Companies Ltd, but I guess the standard of serivice provided is different.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

No Frills has some excellent bargains sometimes! It sells the same as the other grocery stores just for less. If you aren't a snob then this place is a goldmine! Infact there is one close to me that has v. good veg.

Dominion and Loblaws are your average store.

Longos is pretty good

The best in Brunos fine food, they do lots of yummy food, it's bit pricey but worth it for a treat every once in a while.

Good luck with the move!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

We've tried No Frills, Food Basics, Super C and they all seem to be pretty much the same in my opinion. Fairly cheap but with a limited selection. Recently we've started using one of the "Independent" stores. I'm not sure if that's a chain or an independent store. Anyway the selection is better, they pack your bags and it really doesn't seem much more expensive.

Out of interest we live right on the border with the States and I keep hearing the suggestion that we cross the border to do our shopping as the selection will be bigger and better. I'm of the opinion that in the main it's better to support the economy of the country we are living in but if we went on a shopping trip can anyone advise me how it all works. I assume that we would have to pay a duty on anything we bring back in?
Old Feb 17th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stepnek
We've tried No Frills, Food Basics, Super C and they all seem to be pretty much the same in my opinion. Fairly cheap but with a limited selection. Recently we've started using one of the "Independent" stores. I'm not sure if that's a chain or an independent store. Anyway the selection is better, they pack your bags and it really doesn't seem much more expensive.

Out of interest we live right on the border with the States and I keep hearing the suggestion that we cross the border to do our shopping as the selection will be bigger and better. I'm of the opinion that in the main it's better to support the economy of the country we are living in but if we went on a shopping trip can anyone advise me how it all works. I assume that we would have to pay a duty on anything we bring back in?
Stephnek...there was a day when shopping in the states was a definite money saver...not so sure now with the exchange rate...but it is always fun to do!! As a smoker...always used to buy cigarettes over there and funnily they would always slip under a blanket on our way home (damn dog must have done it ) I think security is probably a lot tighter now a days though.

Yes you must claim and pay duty on your purchases. There is an allowance you can bring over after certain periods of time...but sorry...I can't remember what that is.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I'll have to get around to planning a trip there soon.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stepnek
Thanks! I'll have to get around to planning a trip there soon.
Check out this website http://www.bridgetaxfree.com/caallowances.html for duty free allowances and timeframes. Have fun!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:42 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yep… No frills and the same are the places to shop if your cost conscious, but its cheap for a reason… some things obviously its doesn’t matter.. but most are a bit of a tip..and I would never buy any meats or vegetables… but I’m a fussy cook and I prefer to pay for my food, and cook and eat well at home…. I also used to shop at Tescos at home as well, so for me no change in my grocery buget…
The places I like here, have been the Loblaws in London, and Fortinois in Toronto… however if your in Toronto and can get down town easily then you have one of the best markets going… I would suggest an early trip into the St Lawrence market… great food.. and I mean great better than anywhere else…Fish..Meat..Bread fresh vegetables and all at good prices and the quality is excellent…
And to finish I believe just south of it is a major grocery store too …plus I believe there is a good “small� LCBO around the corner to get the wine for the meal….
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

The Canadian supermarkets are pretty much dominated by 3 companies: Loblaws which is the biggest, Dominion and Sobey's. No Frills is Loblaws discount chain which sells it's own brand "No Name" products and slightly better own brand President's Choice products as well as well known brands at low end prices. They basically franchise out the stores and then sell at the lowest price possible by cutting out the excess, which is why they don't look too good inside etc. Dominion's low end chain is Food Basics and Sobey's is Price Choppers. Loblaw's also runs "The Real Canadian Superstore" which is aimed at Wal-Mart and more prevelant in the west. Loblaw's actually runs about 22 different supremarket chains across Canada including Fortino's. It's all owned by the Weston Family.

[http://www.transnationale.org/conso/-399976438.htm]

Now, if you want to go to the best place in Toronto you can go to the place I work at: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/toronto/
We also have one in West Vancouver and a new one opening in May in Oakville just west of Toronto: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/oakville/

Drew