Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto feels Small

Toronto feels Small

Old Jul 5th 2015, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

celtic uk canadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto feels Small

I think, Toronto might feel a bit small to the newcomer.

And yes, Toronto is actually small, when one only considers Toronto which only has 2,6 M inhabitants, excluding Mississauga, Markham, Vaughn, Richmond Hill or Brampton.

The GTA is actually quite bigger.

What also might contribute to the "small feeling" is that the most interesting museums of Ontario are actually in Ottawa, not in Toronto.
( Canadian Air and Space Museum, Canadian War Museum, Canadian Museum of Civilization etc...)

That factor is more down to the nature of things, that Ottawa is the federal capital, not Toronto.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Kind of a crap post really.

Queen street has nightlife running down it from the Beach pretty much through to Ossington.

The Danforth/Bloor a similar distance of bars,restaurants and cafes.

Add Kensington Market, St Lawrence Market/Esplanade. King West. Cabbage Town. Bloor West Village. Yonge & Eglinton. Yonge & St. Clair (large parts of the Yonge Line come to think of it) The whole of Spadina and Little Italy and in Downtown Toronto you have more to do for drinking/eating than most cities in the Western world.

I'd encourage you to get a life and explore a little more and also not to visit many more places in Canada, USA of the UK to prevent your Goldfish syndrome.

I can only really think that London or New York have that much more to offer. Chicago, Manchester etc are comparable.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celtic uk canadian
I think, Toronto might feel a bit small to the newcomer.

And yes, Toronto is actually small, when one only considers Toronto which only has 2,6 M inhabitants, excluding Mississauga, Markham, Vaughn, Richmond Hill or Brampton.

The GTA is actually quite bigger.

What also might contribute to the "small feeling" is that the most interesting museums of Ontario are actually in Ottawa, not in Toronto.
( Canadian Air and Space Museum, Canadian War Museum, Canadian Museum of Civilization etc...)

That factor is more down to the nature of things, that Ottawa is the federal capital, not Toronto.
lol. Only London has a bigger population that Toronto when it comes to UK cities. And yes, the GTA is quite a bit bigger with a population of 8.1m. But you could say that for a lot for cities. Especially ones in the Western world.