Toronto

Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:29 am
Just Joined

gfreeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto

Hi folks.

First time poster ...

I'm about to send my passport off today to have my visa stamped in it. Yay!

I'm a brit married to a Canadian (She's from Guelph), and we'll be moving in January 2004, when I sell the house we're in. (Anyone want a 3 bed terrace in Enfield/N.London?). I'm 37, work in IT with an MCSE under my belt. No Canadian work experience though

I got back from a 2 week stay in TO yesterday - we go a couple of times a year, and this was my last trip as a holiday. The next trip will be to move there for good. We'll be looking for a house in Guelph, or close by, and will slap down a $50k deposit, we hope.

My main worry is getting a job. I've heard a zillion people say there are none, especially for those with no Canadian experience, but find it odd that any company would rather take on a less skilled "local" person than someone with the right skills. IT is IT, surely ...

Anyway, apart from a few winces at the first few games, good to see the Leafs win a couple recently
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:30 pm
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto

Originally posted by gfreeman
Hi folks.

First time poster ...

I'm about to send my passport off today to have my visa stamped in it. Yay!

I'm a brit married to a Canadian (She's from Guelph), and we'll be moving in January 2004, when I sell the house we're in. (Anyone want a 3 bed terrace in Enfield/N.London?). I'm 37, work in IT with an MCSE under my belt. No Canadian work experience though

I got back from a 2 week stay in TO yesterday - we go a couple of times a year, and this was my last trip as a holiday. The next trip will be to move there for good. We'll be looking for a house in Guelph, or close by, and will slap down a $50k deposit, we hope.

My main worry is getting a job. I've heard a zillion people say there are none, especially for those with no Canadian experience, but find it odd that any company would rather take on a less skilled "local" person than someone with the right skills. IT is IT, surely ...

Anyway, apart from a few winces at the first few games, good to see the Leafs win a couple recently

Good Luck,

Robert Half Technologies is a temp/permanent placement agency. They are very good. They have offices in the uk and ontario. You may be able to get a foot in the door by signing with them. Agencies in Canada don't have the same stigma as they do here. Here is a link to their web page:

http://www.roberthalftechnology.com/

Are you heading to Guelph?

Housing:
www.mls.ca

All the best
Fried
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

The MLS is a good idea - we wondered around Guelph last week and took a peek in the real estate papers from the mall. We think we'd get a house without too much problem - assuming I have a job of course.

I grabbed another agency flyer while I was in the mall - I'll contact them and Robert Half to sound out the possibilities.

Cheers!

Graham
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:46 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default go leafs go

you're already sounding canadian.. yay!

I would think there would be lots of IT jobs as this area is sort of known for that.. I think you'll do just fine.

its hard not to be a little worried though, I am heading south as soon as I get approved at the interview

however, no clue what kind of job I may get.. here's hoping it all works out.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:31 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/

Canadas version of dept works and services job centre. Usually not the best jobs but should give you some idea of whats available.
Maybe the toronto star has online job classifieds, dont bother with toronto sun, its for construction workers LOL

Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Heh, thanks

I like the Star - any idea where I can get copies here in the UK (London)?

Graham
Old Oct 29th 2003, 6:16 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thestar.com/

maybe a large wh smiths or newsagents ?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath
http://www.thestar.com/

maybe a large wh smiths or newsagents ?
Thanks - I read the site every day, but it's not quite the same as the real thing! The newsagent on the way to work doesn't carry it, though he has WSJ, IHT and USA Today. Pah.

I'll try the WH Smith in Liverpool Street though - thanks for the suggestion!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough
Default Job ads.......

Originally posted by gfreeman
Thanks - I read the site every day, but it's not quite the same as the real thing! The newsagent on the way to work doesn't carry it, though he has WSJ, IHT and USA Today. Pah.

I'll try the WH Smith in Liverpool Street though - thanks for the suggestion!

Just go to www.workopolis.com anything advertised in the Star is also on workopolis, no need to search for the paper!