Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

voltage of appliances

voltage of appliances

Old Sep 6th 2003, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

CJ6680 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default voltage of appliances

is everything in canada 110v, can you buy adapters so you can use your 220v appliances or not
Old Sep 6th 2003, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

On our own experiences in the US you cannot get your appliances to work in the US or Canada from the UK but things like computers are OK - hope that's a help

I've just been told by the hubby that homes do have a 220v circuit in the kitchen/washrooms only ie for the larger appliances so you may be alright bringing over the washing machine for instance but things like video recorders, hoovers that sort of thing maybe not. Also your UK tele. will cause problems as it's NTSC over here and the DVD regions are different so you may have to keep an eye out for a multi region DVD player if you have any UK disks to bring over. Plus mobile phones may not work also unless things have changed since I last checked!!

Last edited by crazydaisy; Sep 6th 2003 at 6:42 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: voltage of appliances

Originally posted by CJ6680
is everything in canada 110v, can you buy adapters so you can use your 220v appliances or not
I have brought many electric items from U.K. including small TV, Video machine,stereo and a few kitchen tools. On arriving in Canada I purchased a small 240W adaptor from Radio Shack for $115.00

It all works marvelously. I can watch all my old U.K.videos etc.
Most modern detached houses have 240V sources in basements.
The best thing to bring with you from England is a good front loading washing machine, like Bosch. I gave mine away and ended up using the Canadian type - top loading ones since. And frankly, they are... not as good.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

CJ6680 is an unknown quantity at this point

so one adapter is all i need, my dvd player is already multi region, cani askwhat removalcompany you used and how much
Old Sep 7th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future

so one adapter is all i need, my dvd player is already multi region, cani askwhat removalcompany you used and how much
We sold most of the furniture and sent 8 large boxes over with some computers, pictures, toys, books, clothes, glassware, ornaments etc. etc. for 800 pounds sterling. It took about 4 weeks or so and this was during year 2000 so prices will have changed considerably since then. We used http://www.excessbaggage.com/ and they supply the boxes and collect them for you to take to the airport. You can then have the choice of them delivering and clearing the goods at the other end or you can go to the airport and get the goods cleared yourselves. I think they'll also do larger removals for furniture etc. and will do quotes for you online.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

I used Avalon removals. 1 Adaptor will give you max 240W, so do not use anything above that power rating or it will fail. Irons, hair dryers and heaters are out of the question.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:00 am
Just Joined

gmmg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watch out for the cycle (or Hertz)

Canada distributes 110 Volts AND 60 Hertz. It's easy to find converters for voltage adjustment from 220/240 Volts to 110 Volts. But this is not the case for cycles or hertz. I have never found a store that sells cycle converters. There probably are stores but I haven't found any of them.

I think U.K. is 50 hertz. If you bring applicances that have mechanical parts such as fan, microwave oven, shavers, etc. and plug it in Canada, then these will almost certainly breakdown after a while, even if you have a voltage converter.

My advice is to sell your appliances in U.K. and just buy new in Canada.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Vern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bodge it

Just bring a power bar from UK, put on some rubber boots and wire it into the 220volt cooker outlet. Most stuff works just fine.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 11:04 pm
fam
Just Joined

fam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I want to bring my used computer.As u guys discussed here voltage is no problem but should i pay any tax or duty on it as i am a landed immigrant and have no Goods To Be Followed list.

[
QUOTE]Originally posted by CJ6680
is everything in canada 110v, can you buy adapters so you can use your 220v appliances or not [/QUOTE]
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by fam
Hi,
I want to bring my used computer.As u guys discussed here voltage is no problem but should i pay any tax or duty on it as i am a landed immigrant and have no Goods To Be Followed list.

[
QUOTE]Originally posted by CJ6680
[/QUOTE]

This is just from personal experience from moving around and don't know for sure about Canada but the usual problem of duty is with brand new things as they worry that you may try and sell it on. With used things in your possession over 6 months there's usually no problems at all and tax won't need to be paid. If you have a receipt to prove when you bought it you'll have more power to your elbow proving it's not recently acquired. If I come across any websites which confirm what you can take duty free I'll let you know..

OK here goes, you can check out http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4151-e.html for a list of items which can be brought in duty free. You may need to declare it still and carry receipts with you to show the customs officer but you shouldn't need to pay anything.

Last edited by crazydaisy; Oct 1st 2003 at 2:09 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:53 pm
Brit on the move

karen&Ted will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: voltage of appliances

Most if not all Canadian houses have 220v for there washing machines !!!

I am in telecommunications, ( whoopee) i agree but i do not agree with running anything with a electric motor through a converter. it will burn out alot quicker !!!!!!!

IF you go onto www.yahoo.ca and then search for www.futureshop.ca you will see a site alot like PC World/Curries/Comet.

When you can pick up Dvd players for less than $100 and many other deal why convert, treat yourselves.

And yes i have lived in Canada, Loved it thats why we are trying to emigrate now

ps sorry if this sounds a little abrupt??? been a long day, nothing ment PROMISE
Old Oct 29th 2003, 1:58 am
Just Joined

slingshotz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bodge it

Originally posted by Vern
Just bring a power bar from UK, put on some rubber boots and wire it into the 220volt cooker outlet. Most stuff works just fine.
Anyone here have experience on how to wire it up to 220v? There are 4 wires on our 220v lines (2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground) whereas the UK plug is 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. Can you just merge the 2 hot wires into the 1 hot?
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

gmmg is an unknown quantity at this point

As I've mentioned previously, it's not only the voltage difference that you have to worry about, but also the cycle or hertz difference. My advice: Don't bring 220/240 V or 50 hertz appliances in Canada.