Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Too many nurses in Alberta

Too many nurses in Alberta

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too many nurses in Alberta

If anyone is interested in moving to Regina - there are jobs in just about every medical field:

http://www.rqhealth.ca/diy_jobs/view.cgi?cmd=roots
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:40 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandDawn
I wondered where all the jobs disapeared to! One day there was tons of psychology and mental health clinican jobs to sift through, the the next there was none! Looks like I'll be working in Tim Hortons then! My mum will be pleased that her money to put me through my masters went to good use!
.....my wife sent her resume to a medical clinic last week that were asking for a part-time RN and has been called for an interview. She has permission from CARNA to work as a grad nurse while working towards her CRNE. Does anyone know what rate of pay she should be aiming for as we presume medical clinics can offer what they want.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:39 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Apparently the jobs are about to be re-posted again soon - most were approved by "Duck-it" it seems! Oh, & there is now NOT a surplus of nurses - that was a figment of some politicians imagination I guess! Ha ha ha!

As a Grad nurse wages will be somewhere from $25-35 per hr depending on your number of years experience - you can check wages out using the UNA collective agreement - I'm sure there's an on-line copy via their website. I think most clinics do follow the UNA wages.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:48 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Some more recent nursing-related newspaper rumours here:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Health/...550/story.html

Make of it what you will, although there are big changes afoot within the new Alberta Health Services body.....perhaps they are just trying to get all their ducks in a row with the new guy.....I'm currently temping in a section that has been newly merged into this superboard. All the admin jobs are disappearing and being left to temps because they haven't got their act together transferring staff and there are restructures being made left, right and centre. Its a nightmare for me as I have to keep the bl**dy telephone list up to date!!! I can't even order a pack of pens without clearance from those on high these days <sigh>!

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jun 6th 2009 at 12:51 am.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 2:30 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RN1
Apparently the jobs are about to be re-posted again soon - most were approved by "Duck-it" it seems! Oh, & there is now NOT a surplus of nurses - that was a figment of some politicians imagination I guess! Ha ha ha!

As a Grad nurse wages will be somewhere from $25-35 per hr depending on your number of years experience - you can check wages out using the UNA collective agreement - I'm sure there's an on-line copy via their website. I think most clinics do follow the UNA wages.
Thanks RN1. Found the hourly rates at http://www.una.ab.ca/collectiveagree...rsingsalaries/.

A few jobs are starting to be advertised again, but I think they're only open to internal candidates.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:00 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by agr
Thanks RN1. Found the hourly rates at http://www.una.ab.ca/collectiveagree...rsingsalaries/.

A few jobs are starting to be advertised again, but I think they're only open to internal candidates.
You're welcome.

I suspect it won't be too long befiore things are on the up again - it usually goes in cycles!!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

lisap27 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the job situation for Phlebotomists in canada? do the nurses do that job aswell?

just wondering as that is what i do in the uk.. and were moving over to lethbridge in next few months.. partner is already working there!

thanks

lisa x x
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:05 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisap27
what is the job situation for Phlebotomists in canada? do the nurses do that job aswell?

just wondering as that is what i do in the uk.. and were moving over to lethbridge in next few months.. partner is already working there!

thanks

lisa x x
I know of at least one Phlebotomist at the Foothills in Calgary but I'm not sure if all those who come around and take blood in the hospital are Phlebotomists.

Any time I have spent time as an in-patient nurses have not taken blood.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisap27

thanks

lisa x x
Here in BC they are called Medical. Lab Assistants, probably a similiar name in Alberta. The pay isn't horrible from my research for BC, but one wont get rich doing it.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Well VP has been very busy approving jobs. I had news on Tues that the post I applied for has been approved so I now have a permanent position with AHS instead of the temp ones since I landed here.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Well VP has been very busy approving jobs. I had news on Tues that the post I applied for has been approved so I now have a permanent position with AHS instead of the temp ones since I landed here.
Congratulations. Really pleased for you.

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 3:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done you.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 5:43 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

congratulations