Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving from Vancouver to Nova Scotia

Thinking of moving from Vancouver to Nova Scotia

Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:18 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving from Vancouver to Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah...maybe....

Heat pump for the family room only? Wouldn't a mini split do that?
dunno, I have a heat pump though. Gives off nice AC in the summer too :-)
Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flower19
and some of our biggest expenses are
$950 a month for out of school care for 2 kids
$1300 for toddler full time came
$450 a month insurance for 2 cars
$200 a month gas /electric in our tiny house
and $1.56 per litre petrol !!

how do they compare in NS Please?
Gas changes every Thursday as its regulated, I think its $1.35 for the expensive stuff currently.....
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Magawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond reputeMagawish has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

We are in Vancouver too, we feel your pain. We looked into NS but decided on ON just because of work. We move out there in May. Your right Vancouver is just too expensive
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

flower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond repute

talking about heat pumps, you do have central heating in ns??

I am just quietly having a panic as we spent 10 years in nz with no heating just a wood burner downstairs and plug in radiators in the kids rooms that cost a fortune !!!

I said I would never live anywhere without central heating ever again, freezing your butt off going to the loo in the middle of the night is not an option !!

I just love skipping to the thermostat and turning it up at the slightest nip in the air !!!!!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:52 pm
Happy

talking about heat pumps, you do have central heating in ns??

I am just quietly having a panic as we spent 10 years in nz with no heating just a wood burner downstairs and plug in radiators in the kids rooms that cost a fortune !!!

I said I would never live anywhere without central heating ever again, freezing your butt off going to the loo in the middle of the night is not an option !!

I just love skipping to the thermostat and turning it up at the slightest nip in the air !!!!!
I cant imagine not having heating here.
Your choices are -
wood stove (cheapest)
Heat pump (cheapest elec option), doubles up as AC in the summer.
Oil
Elec baseboard (avoid at all costs)
Some have propane but not many.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

flower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond reputeflower19 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I cant imagine not having heating here.
Your choices are -
wood stove (cheapest)
Heat pump (cheapest elec option), doubles up as AC in the summer.
Oil
Elec baseboard (avoid at all costs)
Some have propane but not many.
thank God for that !!!
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:28 pm
Happy

If you arent keen on heating with wood then go to the NS Power website and check out heat pump info:
https://www.nspower.ca/en/home/for-m.../default.aspx\
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

If you arent keen on heating with wood then go to the NS Power website and check out heat pump info:
https://www.nspower.ca/en/home/for-m.../default.aspx\
ì

when you say wood burner, is it just the wood burner and nothing else? so its in one room and just convection heats the rest of the house ?
or does the wood burner heat water that then heats the house?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:56 pm
Happy

ì

when you say wood burner, is it just the wood burner and nothing else? so its in one room and just convection heats the rest of the house ?
or does the wood burner heat water that then heats the house?
Its actually a wood insert and its in our front room, the configuration of the house means it heats it all except the family room and the basement.
It doesnt heat water.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

......... and many houses in NS seem to have something that is not common here ............... hot water "on call".

Depends on how recently the hot water heater was updated ............ but you don't have that wait for the water to heat up between showers

My daughter had it in their first house built some time in the 1960s, and has it now in her 1930s late Arts & Crafts.

I do find that heating the house is more expensive in NS, based on what she tells me they have to pay vs what we pay here for a house of about the same size though different configuration.

Note also that the cold weather lasts longer over there than here ........ I've had the heating off on several days already as the temperature gets to double digits, there's just been another blizzard in the Halifax area! So that increases the cost.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:40 pm
Happy

[QUOTE=scilly;12478835]......... and many houses in NS seem to have something that is not common here ............... hot water "on call".

Depends on how recently the hot water heater was updated ............ but you don't have that wait for the water to heat up between showers

My daughter had it in their first house built some time in the 1960s, and has it now in her 1930s late Arts & Crafts.

I do find that heating the house is more expensive in NS, based on what she tells me they have to pay vs what we pay here for a house of about the same size though different configuration.

Note also that the cold weather lasts longer over there than here ........ I've had the heating off on several days already as the temperature gets to double digits, there's just been another blizzard in the Halifax area! So that increases the cost.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it does. I actually lit the fire in the front room and used about 10 logs all told. I dont think that compares to the mortgage difference between locations... but maybe I am way off base. I only have "Love it or list it Vancouver" as my comparable
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

It's kind of interesting to read this thread, because I just did the opposite move and went from rural NS to Vancouver (well, New Westminster), but I am in a different situation age-wise and I don't have children.

But my thoughts are> skiing: if you are a beginner , NS will be ok for you for a year or two, then you will be bored with the skiing , if that's a priority for you (sounded like it).

If you need yoga, coffee shops and a variety of shops all within walking distance , well that's very limited in NS, and you won't get that in a rural area. I had to drive 35 km to go to a yoga class or to buy a carton of milk.

we sold our rural ocean front home to a young under 30 couple from BC last summer.. they got hit with some surprises... they hadn't realized how bad the storms can be here... lost a lot of trees, the wharf floated away... a few power outages, roughing it for a while.. I havent dared to ask them if they regretted the move, but I certainly was happy to not have to worry about those things any more..
power costs are the 2nd highest in the country after Ontario.. google price per MwH in Canada.. BC is cheaper per unit - that must be about the only thing cheaper in comparison... But they have lots of wood in NS and most rural houses are heated with wood. But you have to realize that it is a lot of work to handle it and a lot of dirt in the house.

Don't get starry-eyed about the size of the houses.... it still costs a lot to heat a 4000 sqft home if your heating period lasts until May.
Another thing that comes to mind when I compare the 2 places> how green it is in BC... you wont see leaves on trees in NS until late April, sometimes late May, depending on location... that is something that bothered me...
Don't want to sound too negative... I have enjoyed my 14 years in NS with all their ups and downs, but I was ready for a change.. not to say I am never going back there though.. I kept a rural property over there, close to a town , just in case....
Old Apr 12th 2018, 1:53 pm
Happy

[QUOTE=woodworm;12480385]

If you need yoga, coffee shops and a variety of shops all within walking distance , well that's very limited in NS, and you won't get that in a rural area. I had to drive 35 km to go to a yoga class or to buy a carton of milk.

But they have lots of wood in NS and most rural houses are heated with wood. But you have to realize that it is a lot of work to handle it and a lot of dirt in the house.

Another thing that comes to mind when I compare the 2 places> how green it is in BC... you wont see leaves on trees in NS until late April, sometimes late May, depending on location... that is something that bothered me...
QUOTE]

Check out the areas you are interested in, in Elmsdale for example we have choice of yoga classes, coffee shops and milk purchases.... but thats not everywhere by anymeans. We are the fastest growing rural community which is a blessing and curse.

We heat with wood, the workload isnt tiresome, we have heat in storms when the power goes out and its not dirty frankly, apart from around the hearth which we sweep.
The lack of green till late April early May always gets me down... every single year.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 2:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We heat with wood, the workload isnt tiresome, we have heat in storms when the power goes out and its not dirty frankly, apart from around the hearth which we sweep.
We are not in NS but do heat with wood. Even if you have someone else convert trees to logs and deliver those logs to your driveway, three cords is still three cords, two people lifting for a day. It's proper work.

The upside, of course, is that you do not then need yoga, you've exercised.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 12th 2018 at 3:08 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

The lack of green till late April early May always gets me down... every single year.
I was talking from a perspective of single 5'2" woman on a remote property.
If you have strong guys around lugging the wood for you it is great.
But just before I made my move to BC, I lived in an off-the-grid house for 6 weeks and with dragging in wood from the wood shed while the wind is driving snowdrifts past you at 80km/h wasn't so much fun and showed me the limits of country living as a woman. And yes, yoga wasn't a priority after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.