Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Vancouver... i have some questions though!

Thinking of moving to Vancouver... i have some questions though!

Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:40 pm
anz
Just Joined

anz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Vancouver... i have some questions though!

Hi,

I'm considering moving to Vancouver, however i'm not sure how to really go about this. I'm 23, and work as an ASP.NET web developer in the UK. Would it be possible to move for 6months-1yr as a bit of a trial period, and see how it goes? if so, what sort of restrictions do i have with the visa?

One of my major concerns is finding a suitable job in my current field. In the UK there are a lot of jobs, but looking around online (albeit briefly), there don't seem to be anywhere near the same number of jobs out in Vancouver. Am i looking in the wrong places, or will it not be easy to find employment?

Does it really rain that much in Vancouver, or is it like the UK? Is there a list somewhere of approx living costs, and good areas to live?

Thanks I'm sure i'll think of some more questions soon!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:16 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Vancouver... i have some questions though!

You could try BUNAC as a quick way to get over:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

As far as I can tell the IT market over here is pretty saturated, although I'm not in any position to say. As for nice areas, that depends on what you want. Are you living on your own, or with family? Do you want a house or an apartment. Mountain views, access to ski slopes, beaches, etc? How much do you want to spend? How far do you want to commute?

And yes, it really does rain that much. You get used to it.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:24 pm
anz
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bazzz
You could try BUNAC as a quick way to get over:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

As far as I can tell the IT market over here is pretty saturated, although I'm not in any position to say. As for nice areas, that depends on what you want. Are you living on your own, or with family? Do you want a house or an apartment. Mountain views, access to ski slopes, beaches, etc? How much do you want to spend? How far do you want to commute?

And yes, it really does rain that much. You get used to it.
I'd be renting if i was only doing a trial period so $850-$1k/month? If i was to move out there properly, probably $400k. I'd want a short commute as there's nothing worse than driving for ages to get to work and having to do it again to get away! I'll also be on my own Not to interested in ski slopes just yet, beaches would be good though, or mountains, though nowhere that floods If it was an apartment it would need some space, i've seen some of the condo's that are around and some are so small!

I still think my major issue would be employment, but i guess that's just something i need to look into more. The problem with BUNAC would be that i'd want a proper job, and not to work in a shop/cafe/etc... as that kind of work just isn't me at all!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:50 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anz
I'd be renting if i was only doing a trial period so $850-$1k/month? If i was to move out there properly, probably $400k. I'd want a short commute as there's nothing worse than driving for ages to get to work and having to do it again to get away! I'll also be on my own Not to interested in ski slopes just yet, beaches would be good though, or mountains, though nowhere that floods If it was an apartment it would need some space, i've seen some of the condo's that are around and some are so small!

I still think my major issue would be employment, but i guess that's just something i need to look into more. The problem with BUNAC would be that i'd want a proper job, and not to work in a shop/cafe/etc... as that kind of work just isn't me at all!
Ideally, you'd end up with a job in downtown Vancouver, then you could rent an apartment in the west end, and walk to work. Or if the job is a little further out or on other side of Vancouver, short sky-train ride. My son rents a quite large 1-bedroom in the west end for $825/mo, so it's not overly expensive. Close to beaches, Stanley Park etc. Good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:42 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it rains a lot during the winter, but the summers are actually drier than the UK.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:17 am
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anz

You can do any job on a Bunac visa - it is not restricted to hospitality etc - well may not prime minister, but you could be CEO of IBM Vancouver if you wanted to and they'd have you It's just a quick-ish & painless-ish way of getting out here to work.

I have seen plenty of developer jobs advertised recently - have you checked workopolis, monster, working etc?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:40 am
anz
Just Joined

How would i go about looking for jobs whilst in the UK? and how do i actually go about getting a job! am i going to have to wait until i move over and hope to find something, or should i try and get as much done whilst here as possible?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by anz
How would i go about looking for jobs whilst in the UK? and how do i actually go about getting a job! am i going to have to wait until i move over and hope to find something, or should i try and get as much done whilst here as possible?
From personal experience of being on that 1 year visa and whatever occupation you wish to work in, no agency or employer is likely to take you on without meeting you first, I think this is simply because they see this visa as a casual work entitlement, although I guess you could seek contract work in web design depending on your experience etc. Bare in mind they are hot on giving preference to Canadians though & the market is extremely competitive. Even with a science degree I found it difficult for 3 weeks to get the most basic of office work. I contacted agencies prior to leaving the UK & they said they would not consider me until I arrived.