Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to toronto

thinking of moving to toronto

Old Aug 9th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

nina kaur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thinking of moving to toronto

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site, and so far finding it helpful. I have so many questions.... queries.... and I hope some one out there can help.

I am married, have 1 baby 16 months old and have one on the way..... we are seriously considering starting the process to move to canada.... we have visited and loved it!! but also realise living somewhere ans holiday -ing somewhere is very different.

I wanted some infomation on child care.... both for my children but also for work prospects. I am a qualified youth worker, been a youth worker for 15 years.... but currently re training to be a nursery worker. what are nursery workers called in canada..... is it kinder garden teachers? nursery nurse?

what is the cost for child care? i undestand children do not go to full time state school till 6 years? so my children.... till 6 years old can i put them in child care? what kind of cost should i expect? and childminders, what is their going rate?

I just want to be prepared..... i want to make sure my children do not suffer with the move.

I hope someone out there can help... or point me in the right direction!! please.

Nina
Old Aug 9th 2008, 11:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking of moving to toronto

Originally Posted by nina kaur
II am a qualified youth worker, been a youth worker for 15 years.... but currently re training to be a nursery worker.
Child-care workers are paid rather poorly in Canada. I imagine the salary for a youth worker is nothing to write home about, but I'm guessing that a child-care worker's salary is even lower. But I don't work in either field and don't know for sure.

what are nursery workers called in canada..... is it kinder garden teachers? nursery nurse?
The term nursery nurse is unknown in Canada. In Canada we have, amongst others:
  • kindergarten teachers, who teach 5-year olds (and 4-year-olds in Ontario)
  • nursery school teachers, who provide intellectual stimulation to 3 and 4-year olds
  • child-care workers, who are child minders in day-care centres

what is the cost for child care?
I don't know what it is. My kids are in their twenties, and my information is out of date. I do know that working parents find the costs high.

i undestand children do not go to full time state school till 6 years? so my children.... till 6 years old can i put them in child care?
Yes, but you'd have to pay for child-care or, if you chose to send them there, nursery school. Kindergarten is free, but it's only part-time, so would not solve your child-care dilemma.

what kind of cost should i expect? and childminders, what is their going rate?
I don't know, but I don't think you'd net very much money at all if you worked in a day-care centre and then put your own children in day-care.

The most cost effective choice for you, if you wanted to get into the child-care game, would be to run a day home in which you cared for your own children and charged to look after other people's in your home as well.

See the Wiki article called Childcare Options-Canada.

I also responded to you in the thread entitled thinking of applying to move to toronto. There is some overlap between the two responses, but there also is some unique information in each one.
x