Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Canada

Thinking of moving to Canada

Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Canada

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Conception Bay South area of Newfoundland is where we are heading to in January, simply breath taking, little or no crime, no graffiti, no litter etc.
I loves Newfoundland but you're gilding the lily here; what about the persistent problem of oxycontin abuse by the unemployed, doesn't that involve crime?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I loves Newfoundland but you're gilding the lily here; what about the persistent problem of oxycontin abuse by the unemployed, doesn't that involve crime?
I was obviously in the wrong part of the province.

I guess you'll always get an amount of undesirable element everywhere you go.

The key thing is, even with the crime you mention and I am sure there is other stuff going on, it ain't as bad as the UK!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:15 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisehaig
Well, yes I suppose a lot of it depends on your jobs but in a nutshell, Toronto a few areas there were affordable for us such as Guelph, but is 1 1/2 hours drive from the city it is a less violent version of London but comes at a price as does Vancouver. Alberta is freezing not much in the middle and the rest isn't an option unless you speak French! which leaves the Maritimes, where we've ended up. Its quiet, safe and housingis very affordable it also has the mildest climate compared to the rest of Canada but doesn't have as much money in it compared to the other provinces.
Louise
Maritimes has a mild climate ?!?!?!?? Let me know when that starts will you.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Maritimes has a mild climate ?!?!?!?? Let me know when that starts will you.
August?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesandjack
Hi,

We are a family of four living in Co Durham, North east England and we are thinking of moving to Canada, we are sick of the Uk and what it has to offer and are looking for simpler, relaxed and better life for us and our children. What is the cost of living like, average weekly shopping bill, house prices, education, etc. Would anyone recommend using a lawyer/ agencie to fast track application and help make arrangements for immigration. We would like to know more about Nova Scotia and why people choose to move there, whats it like ? Any help advice appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andrea
Hi Andrea, how are you getting on with your research,
let us know if we can help

cheers sue
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

globetrotter960 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamesandjack
Hi,

We are a family of four living in Co Durham, North east England and we are thinking of moving to Canada, we are sick of the Uk and what it has to offer and are looking for simpler, relaxed and better life for us and our children. What is the cost of living like, average weekly shopping bill, house prices, education, etc. Would anyone recommend using a lawyer/ agencie to fast track application and help make arrangements for immigration. We would like to know more about Nova Scotia and why people choose to move there, whats it like ? Any help advice appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andrea
Go for it.. the maritimes are beautiful though NS does bare the brunt of the Atlantic on the south side. Property is by far the cheapest, though there is an expected boom in property prices predicted, similar to what has happened in the Praires, so dont hang about. 60k in pounds would get you a three bedroom house with a basement. The further you live from town the cheaper your council tax (equivilant) is. The variation is huge a large house in a good area in Halifax could be $3000 a year, where an acreage (house in the countryside) could be as little as $500. Very relevent if your a working man as wages are much lower than say Alberta, but then again its much cheaper.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:13 am
Just Joined

globetrotter960 is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the cost of living , for what you earn supermarket shopping is more expensive in my opinion and there is not quite the variety of tesco and sainsburys, although Safeway, Atlantic superstore and my favourite Sobeys are good. Meat is cheaper though things like chocolate sweets chewing gum are more expensive. Despite what youve read, second hand cars are far dearer for older models because there are far fewer, And with comparative wages new cars arent cheap.Gas(petrol) is about half the cost although most cars are not as economical as european ones. Mini vans and( pick up) trucks are sub twenty MPG.Car insurance varies greatly , depending on the vehical , though there are not the punitive policys on young drivers .You will see teenagers driving 6 litre trucks, though they have introduced some kerfew clauses for youngsters, i.e. not after 10pm, you will get a cheaper quote.Utilites(gas and electric) are expensive, get a wood burning stove , wood is an abundance, they'll heat a house too. Water tends to be mainly from wells, so no water bill, though you may need to buy water softener.My advice, go for a holiday in WINTER and SUMMER...good luck