Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thinking, just thinking of moving back!

Thinking, just thinking of moving back!

Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:12 am
Just Joined

incensebuddha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking, just thinking of moving back!

rooander, checking in, have you been feeling better about living in in canada? Or are you still wanting to move back to UK?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went back to UK for a holiday in the summer, had a wonderful time, was nice to do all the things Id missed too. Yes Id love to move back but will be staying here in Canada for the forseeable future. Im a stubborn gal and wont give in but watch this space as its the fall now, ask me again in the middle of winter when I cannot get out anywhere and feel like Im in hibernation
xxx
Old Oct 5th 2011, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

PS I see you only just joined the forum today, were you on here before under a different name? x
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooander
Hi all,

Ive not really posted much on here but Ive been reading some of the threads and please dont think Ive come on here for an arguement, rant or general nastyness (if thats even a word). I dont want to be shouted at or be told Im crazy. Alot of the threads on here tend to get very hostile and I truly havent come on here for that.

I just want to ask and find out if anyone else has felt like this and did it dissappear!

We've been here in Saskatchewan for 2 years now, I moved here with my hubby and 3 children, who are now 14, 5 & 2. We came here because hubbys job was and still is in demand here, he wasnt happy at his place of work in the UK, we lived on the south coast, and was offered a job here. He came out 6 months before our actual move date to do a two week trial and loved it.

Our eldest was getting bullied at school and couldnt wait to get to Canada. (we've been back and forth to Canada for the last 10years as my god mother has a farm out here)

I was unsure about the move but went ahead with it because afterall it was a new start and Ive always been one to move around alot, Ive travelled the world, just not LIVED in any of the places.

Now please dont judge me, as I said above Im only asking if anyone has gone through this feeling and how did you get out of it! Since being here, our 14yr old had a hard time at the first school he went to, we moved areas and now is perfectly happy. Our 5 yr old is in french immersion and loves it. Finding things to do with my 2 yr old is definately a struggle here.

I'm feeling very lonely and shut off, I know the winters are hard and sometimes it feels like we have to hibnernate but even in the summer I feel the same. I had hoped that after 2 years these feelings might have dissappeared but they havent.

I'm desperately missing my dad, (my mum passed away back in 2000), I have no brothers or sisters, no aunts or uncles and no grandparents. I guess that makes me a very lonely person in general BUT I do have my dad and a wonderful family in my inlaws as well as my darling hubby and tiddlewinks ( my 14 yr old would kill me for saying that opps)

My sister in law has just had a baby and Im upset that my kids will never really know their cousin. We as families will never get to do things together. I never wanted my children to have the same feelings as me, like they missed out on family life. Big family christmas's etc.

It's this reason and alot more reasons that I THINK I want to go back to the UK. I'm not saying that Canada isn't a wonderful place, it truly is, but in the 2 years I've been here I have only made 2 friends. That sounds sad I know especially as I am really an outgoing person, sometimes maybe a little too outgoing but i still havent made a "group" of friends.

Maybe I'm being selfish, I dont know, maybe as wife and mother I should stop being silly and just get on with life here in Canada but I cant help but think what if???

I do hope someone out there can give me some advice or any experiences they have had.
xxxx
Hi there

I read your post and I've worried about similar things happening to me if and when we move over to Canada.

I live in a smallish village and know an awful lot of people here - walking to the shop I'll stop and chat to people, in the shop and on the way home etc etc. I'll miss not taking my child to school in the morning as it's a chance to talk to my friends who have kids in my son's class.

However..... this site alone has been a godsend. I went to Calgary for a holiday and met up with 2 ladies on this site while we were over there and talk to them all the time on facebook. 2 ready made friends when I get over there. They were both so lovely! I've also made a couple more friends that live local to where I will be living (again via here) and am hoping to meet up with them, meet their families and make friends with them - fingers crossed we'll all get along.

Soooo maybe put a post about about people on this site who live close to you meeting for a coffee or a beer or whatever. There is bound to be someone in your area (or within an hour of you) for you to make friends with.....

If loneliness is your main problem - you've got the solution in the internet. Seriously I have met loads of friends over the internet. I have friends that have met their partners over the internet. There must be an equivalent of netmums or something over there that would help you meet mums in the same position as you - they can't all go back to work...

Hope this helps. Chin up.

xx
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went back to UK for a holiday in the summer, had a wonderful time, was nice to do all the things Id missed too. Yes Id love to move back but will be staying here in Canada for the forseeable future. Im a stubborn gal and wont give in but watch this space as its the fall now, ask me again in the middle of winter when I cannot get out anywhere and feel like Im in hibernation
xxx
Good for you lady! Just take it one day at a time. I have to say I thought your first post was very well written and maybe you should think about a personal blog as a bit of therapy too? Anyways you sound like you've got your head screwed on right and you'll be fine. Sending good karma your way
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

a quick google search just came up with this:

http://www.expatmumsblog.com/about.html

as GeordieLass says just take small steps like using the internet for a bit of companionship and see where that leads....anyhoo
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

I'm feeling very lonely and shut off, I know the winters are hard and sometimes it feels like we have to hibnernate but even in the summer I feel the same.
i prefer the winters to the summers, no one tells you about the bugs before you come here! i was in northern Quebec all summer and i had so many bug bites it literally looked like i had leprosy and when i returned south people in the street would give me the most awful looks!
but yeah i feel your pain. luckily my job keeps me very busy. but before i came here for that job, i was spending a few months every year in Canada (generic southern Ontario suburb-land) and they were the worst months of my life. i was achingly, intensely lonely.
but basically, the key is to get out more. get to know some local folks. that is much easier said than done when you have little free time, but it works eventually.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:30 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Rooander - I'm so happy that you are feeling better about life - I think a trip back to what you sometimes 'think' you are missing can make you see that you are still missing lots, but perhaps not 'everything'.

The one thing I would take you to task on from your original post is:-
I dont know, maybe as wife and mother I should stop being silly and just get on with life here in Canada but I cant help but think what if???

xxxx
You are looking after Canada's future children! I defy anyone to look after a family all day and stay sane and positive at all times, particularly given a major move and a horrid winter thrown in! I'm very positive about moving, but also a bit terrified too! I'm scared of feeling cut-off, and lonely, and I'm really going to do my best to treat myself with kid gloves, and take a bit of time for myself because I know our life as a family will go much better if I'm not physically and mentally knackered. Perhaps you should try a bit of TLC too? Best of luck
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

For the first year every day I was either on the site of our build or volunteering. I know in Rooander's case she has a small child so maybe not appropriate just yet but I thoroughly recommend volunteering in your children's school. I would go in with my kids in the morning and spend all day there, so I was out of the house all day. You'll see the behind the scenes of your child's education. The teachers are so grateful to have help.

This is how I found out my boy was being bullied and of course I had first hand evidence in my case for moving him to another school.

I continued to volunteer at the school because the people were fab and the vast majority of the kids were wonderful.

I still have them now shouting out from their grade 10 buses "hey Miss, say "Harry Potter" they loved the accent!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:15 am
Just Joined

xxx
I am happy to hear that you got back to UK this summer and had a wonderful time. I miss UK so much some days.I moved to Saskatoon about a year ago and it's hard to make friends here. It's a decent size place but not much to do here. I thought it would be all glitter and roses moving to a new place, more space here, and area to run! Sometimes I think it's too big and spread out and that's why I can't meet friends because there is too much space for them to hide haha , But I miss my family and friends back in UK. After I arrived I felt down about the move by day 3 already, as the shine wore off really fast. Is that how you felt? When did you start feeling like you didn't want to be in Canada anymore? Back home in UK it seemed I could call someone to do something most days if I was bored but now it's harder to find someone to do things with as I've not met any friends. I try, I look online for things to do in the area to meet some girl friends, but nothing jumps out at me. Have you found any worthwhile groups to meet people? I get lonely too. I want a group of girl friends to go to dress up with an go out to get some food together and a good laugh occassionally. Well I'm sure if I'm patient life will unfold here. Good luck to you and keep me posted on any groups or anything for a girl to meet some girls....GIRL TIME!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:19 am
Just Joined

PS I see you only just joined the forum today, were you on here before under a different name? x
No didn't change my username. Just joined and started searching around. I didn't know about this site until my cousin told me to look for it. I am finding it someowhat useful. Its nice to see people I can relate to.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read all this thread but I do have a suggestion. Make sure your 5 yr old is in a school the majority of kids aren't bussed to. That way you get to go and meet all the other mums and chat at the school gates. Its how I met most of our friends.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading thru some of this post, and wanted to suggest a few things that helped us settle.
When we first arrived, I was lucky because I knew one lady in town already, and we both went and volunteered at the food bank once a week, which was a lot of fun and we met people.
I worked a fair bit too, so that kept me busy.
Then when I had the kids, I went to the parentlink centre in town a lot, still do, and thats great for meeting up with other mums and lil ones.
Do you have something similar in SK?
I also joined a ladies soccer team....something I wouldnt have done in the UK, but have a great group of ladies, whom I can call on to go for beers, the movies, have a laugh with, and also who I can call on if I need help.
Hope you guys find that network soon, it definately takes a while.
x
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
I think wherever we live, once life's routine becomes established, we always look at what's "on the other side" through rose tinted spectacles. I've found myself doing that about the UK recently and we've only been here 10 months!
Funny that. I spent the first 6 months in Canada having nightmares that i was back in London. Yet, where am i now... back in London (for the 3rd time!).

Mind you, most of its down to the recession.