Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things you’re glad you brought to Canada..?

Things you’re glad you brought to Canada..?

Old Jun 4th 2019, 1:46 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you’re glad you brought to Canada..?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The box spring for a queen bed wouldn't go up our stairs and around the corner to the bedroom - although the mattress did. The mattress is one of those pillow top things which doesn't flip and is pretty rigid so, luckily, that did get in there.

Leon's had to change the original for a split box spring, so you can get them here.
I'm not saying they don't exist, but if they do, they are as rare as Rocking Horse shit.

If you find a place in BC that sells the split bases (preferably a king split into 4) please send me the details. AFAIK, these are a UK thing due to the smaller houses over there.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 12:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm not saying they don't exist, but if they do, they are as rare as Rocking Horse shit.

If you really wanted that, how about scraping the letters off your alphabet blocks and roughing them up a little?

If you find a place in BC that sells the split bases (preferably a king split into 4) please send me the details. AFAIK, these are a UK thing due to the smaller houses over there.
Not a four split, but the Leons website says $175 for a King split.

Old Jun 4th 2019, 2:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

If you really wanted that, how about scraping the letters off your alphabet blocks and roughing them up a little?

Not a four split, but the Leons website says $175 for a King split.
Thanks, that is close, but no where near the spec of what we have now.

Our base is about 35" high and has 4 hidden draws for storage. Those are 9" high with no storage. Perhaps I should apply be the Canadian distributor?
Old Jun 4th 2019, 3:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Things I'm glad I brought to Canada: My RP accent. Glad I've kept it too. Yes 'bys :-)
Old Jun 4th 2019, 4:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that is close, but no where near the spec of what we have now.

Our base is about 35" high and has 4 hidden draws for storage. Those are 9" high with no storage. Perhaps I should apply be the Canadian distributor?

The one Bristol linked to was a box spring (also knows as a 'foundation') - not a bed base i.e. frame. They like to place those under a mattress on a frame in Canada though you can attach legs to box springs if you are desperate enough https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/bed-legs-24822/

There's lots of 'split' bed frames available here (and bases, if that's what you want)

https://www.wayfair.ca/bed-bath/pdp/...001776291.html
14" height (before mattress) https://www.amazon.ca/SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free-Under-bed/dp/B006MIWHUU/ref=lp_6646865011_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1559665818&sr=1-4&th=118" height (before mattress) https://www.amazon.ca/SmartBase-Foundation-Under-bed-Replacement-Noise-Free/dp/B017YETH8K
but if you want drawers as well, why not just buy 2 TWIN bed bases (with drawers) - 2 twins = 1 king - though not as high as the one you have..
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/malm-hi...oey-s19132294/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 4th 2019 at 4:47 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 4:57 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Should have left everything behind in hindsight (Still got 5 unopened boxes in basement from our move 8 years ago) !! Crucial documents only, a sense of humour and any toiletries you can manage to put in your suitcase (the prices in Canada must be paying compensation for the entire planets environmental misdeeds :-)
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:05 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Should have left everything behind in hindsight (Still got 5 unopened boxes in basement from our move 8 years ago) !! Crucial documents only, a sense of humour and any toiletries you can manage to put in your suitcase (the prices in Canada must be paying compensation for the entire planets environmental misdeeds :-)
I’m only six years on and I STILL have a few unopened boxes in the basement...odd thing is I’ve lived in a number of countries where I turned up with a couple of suitcases and stayed for many years and felt at home...here I turned up with a 40 ft container and am still finding my balance. I’m now in the process of shedding the ‘stuff’ so I can travel onwards in the future without the fuss.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 2:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My split divan bed base. https://www.bedfactorydirect.co.uk/b...ase/split-base

There is no way in hell a full size bed base purchased over here would ever fit down my twisty basement stairs.
Now that would be handy if they were common here. Make apartment life easier, hardest part about moving into/out of an apartment getting a bed in/out and a couch in/out they just don't make the halls or doorways in a way where furniture can be easily move in/out.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...hardest part about moving into/out of an apartment getting a bed in/out and a couch in/out they just don't make the halls or doorways in a way where furniture can be easily move in/out.
Maybe they could do more like this. Move everything in before putting the last wall on.

Old Jun 6th 2019, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Furniture. Wish we'd brought more with us.

Plenty of IKEA and flat-pack stuff here, but miss quirky, older (not necessarily antique) British stuff I grew up with.

Leave anything electric behind, I'm sure you're aware of voltage difference.