Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK, working In Markham

Moving from the UK, working In Markham

Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:25 am
Just Joined

KFras17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK, working In Markham

Hello all

Just under 2 weeks until we get on our one way flights. We will be staying in a temporary home in Markham until our stuff ships over.

Just wanted to hear people's opinions on places to permanently live, we had been looking at aurora but it doesn't have the greatest transit links to markham

Ideally areas that within a 30 to 45min commute on public transit, a good area for families, good schools, and also areas where British expats opt to live

​​​​​​Any thoughts, opinions welcomed
​​
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK, working In Markham

Originally Posted by KFras17
Hello all

Just under 2 weeks until we get on our one way flights. We will be staying in a temporary home in Markham until our stuff ships over.

Just wanted to hear people's opinions on places to permanently live, we had been looking at aurora but it doesn't have the greatest transit links to markham

Ideally areas that within a 30 to 45min commute on public transit, a good area for families, good schools, and also areas where British expats opt to live

​​​​​​Any thoughts, opinions welcomed
​​
Depends where in Markham - we live due east in Brooklin, which is north Whitby. Buses every 30 minutes along Highway7/407 to Markham, also local bus every 30 minutes due south to Whitby GO station which then has trains every 30 minutes to Union.
Brooklin is a ‘village’ of about 25,000 - a number of good public schools and fairly new high school. Selection of local shops and banks, with more, including Longos and McDonalds, coming in 2020/21. We have British expats around us but the locals are friendly too 😀
Message me if you have specific questions.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958

Depends where in Markham - we live due east in Brooklin, which is north Whitby. Buses every 30 minutes along Highway7/407 to Markham, also local bus every 30 minutes due south to Whitby GO station which then has trains every 30 minutes to Union.
Brooklin is a ‘village’ of about 25,000 - a number of good public schools and fairly new high school. Selection of local shops and banks, with more, including Longos and McDonalds, coming in 2020/21. We have British expats around us but the locals are friendly too 😀
Message me if you have specific questions.
Hi twitcher

Thanks for the reply!

That sounds convenient. In terms of commute time from brooklin to Markham, do you know how long?

Il be working just of enterprise boulevard about 5 mins from the go station (unionville)

Thanks for your time
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi twitcher

Thanks for the reply!

That sounds convenient. In terms of commute time from brooklin to Markham, do you know how long?

Il be working just of enterprise boulevard about 5 mins from the go station (unionville)

Thanks for your time
There’s a bus planning tool called Triplinx - that says 44 minutes with a fare of $7.99. Trying to do a link but my iPad is playing up - it’s GO bus 52 or sometimes called 407East - that’s from Brooklin to Unionville GO on Kennedy.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks, I will take a look at that

44 mins seems OK as from aurora it looked more like an hour

In terms of what is in brooklin, does it still have all amenities, things for kids to do etc?
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Don’t know what you would be looking for exactly but it’s a town that attracts young families. Plenty of parks and baseball diamonds around, skating arena, recreation centre in Whitby, good transport links to city but easy access to countryside- Durham Forest to the north, other conservation areas to the east. My kids are older and were never ones for organized activities, but there seems to be plenty of dance schools, gym places, self defence classes etc available for kids. Schools also offer good range of activities out of school hours like band, ski club etc. I’m frequently amazed by the wealth of different activities that children seem to do.
Probably worth at least checking out when you arrive - let me know and I’ll show you round.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Forgot to mention there’s a large combined community centre and library, as well as three Tim Hortons 😏
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 2:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can use this tool on GOtransit

or

Triplinx
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks, I will take a look at that

44 mins seems OK as from aurora it looked more like an hour

In terms of what is in brooklin, does it still have all amenities, things for kids to do etc?
Brooklin would be better than Aurora in many ways, but have a squint at Richmond Hill which is better than both. (I lived there for 22 years).
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all, really appreciate it

In terms of brooklin over aurora, was there any particular reason behind that? What's the differences?

I have looked at richmond hill, but was slightly put off by one of the people showing us round as they said the children could feel quite isolated as it's primarily Asian demographic. Is that true?

I'm really keen for the children to experience more diversity than they have in the UK, but I don't want to go too far to the point they struggle to settle and find it hard to form social circles

​​​​​​
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, really appreciate it

In terms of brooklin over aurora, was there any particular reason behind that? What's the differences?

I have looked at richmond hill, but was slightly put off by one of the people showing us round as they said the children could feel quite isolated as it's primarily Asian demographic. Is that true?

I'm really keen for the children to experience more diversity than they have in the UK, but I don't want to go too far to the point they struggle to settle and find it hard to form social circles

​​​​​​
No. Markham is primarily Chinese but RH is mixed. There are Iranian/Persian areas, other ethnicities all over but the town is not dominated by any single one of them.

Anyway, who cares?
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Cool that's good to know, thanks

​​​​​​
Old Jun 6th 2019, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a reason you're not planning to drive? Not sure what you're used to, but Toronto is nothing like London for transit, let alone Markham. And winter can be dangerously cold to be waiting for a bus.