Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving with no plans

Moving with no plans

Old Jun 5th 2019, 3:47 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with no plans

so I have been looking at moving to Canada for a few months now and got my visa in place , work and travel. My question is what cities or territories do people recommend moving to as I have never actually visited Canada. My plan is to find a place to stay i.e small 1 bed apartment and a stable job for a few months, but I’m guessing the range of work depends on where you are. So there might be a lot of farm work in one area or more office in another. So any information on that would be helpful.
Also in the city you recommend what’s the rough rental price for small apartment, and what attracts you most to that place.
Gbrod is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 4:41 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,035
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by Gbrod View Post
so I have been looking at moving to Canada for a few months now and got my visa in place , work and travel. My question is what cities or territories do people recommend moving to as I have never actually visited Canada. My plan is to find a place to stay i.e small 1 bed apartment and a stable job for a few months, but I’m guessing the range of work depends on where you are. So there might be a lot of farm work in one area or more office in another. So any information on that would be helpful.
Also in the city you recommend what’s the rough rental price for small apartment, and what attracts you most to that place.

Hi, welcome to BE.

That's a very vague set of questions - sorry! Canada is HUGE. Can you give a bit more info - what field of work are you going to be job hunting in, what kind of climate do you want, do you want a French speaking part, do you need direct flights back to the UK, do you want snow sports or any other particular sports (i.e. boating etc), landscape wise would you like access to mountains or prairies, do you want a bigger more bustling city or a smaller one, any transport links required, etc, etc? The more info you can give, the more likely you are to get good recommendations.

And if you do a search of the forum you'll find loads of info on the various cities across Canada, to get you started.

Best of luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 4:42 pm
  #3  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Hi Gbrod, welcome to BE. Please take a moment to review the site rules linked in the menu bar above.

Canada is huge with many possible alternatives from densely populated urban cities to remote wilderness. Could you please at least tell us a little more about yourself, say, your age, qualifications and work experience, and perhaps something about your interests, otherwise you are likely to discourage many posters from saying anything as your questions are so vague that most responses will be a waste of the poster's time.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 4:46 pm
  #4  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 37,326
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by Gbrod View Post
so I have been looking at moving to Canada for a few months now and got my visa in place , work and travel. My question is what cities or territories do people recommend moving to as I have never actually visited Canada. My plan is to find a place to stay i.e small 1 bed apartment and a stable job for a few months, but I’m guessing the range of work depends on where you are. So there might be a lot of farm work in one area or more office in another. So any information on that would be helpful.
Also in the city you recommend what’s the rough rental price for small apartment, and what attracts you most to that place.
Some clues, please:

Do you like people? As in, do you want to be in a populated area where people will love your accent and offer themselves for you to do with as you will or would you rather see a lot of cows?

If people preferred, what language would you like those people to speak?

How much cold can you deal with?

Is proximity to a geographical feature such as the sea or mountains important to you?

Do you drive?

dbd33 is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 4:57 pm
  #5  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 3,694
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

I recommend Prince George in British Columbia. This will be a proper Canadian working holiday that you will remember. Not being stuck in a concrete jungle working some boring office job. You may as well move to London, England for that.

You should be able to get a place for under $1,000 month

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-c...ge/c37l1700143
Danny B is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 5:46 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Some clues, please:

Do you like people? As in, do you want to be in a populated area where people will love your accent and offer themselves for you to do with as you will or would you rather see a lot of cows?

If people preferred, what language would you like those people to speak?

How much cold can you deal with?

Is proximity to a geographical feature such as the sea or mountains important to you?

Do you drive?
thank you for replying and yeah It’s broad thing so I kind of guessed people were gonna ask questions so answer them to get closer to what to I’m looking for.

mainly English speaking if possible but i know so parts of Canada are french so would try to avoid this if possible.

I’m literally open to anything I don’t mind working with people but at the same time if solo work in the mountains is there I wouldn’t mind that either.

cold I am fine with harsh winters and I understand that they can get real bad but I’m up for that challenge if it comes.

i do driver and I am coming over with some money to look at purchasing a car but I understand that getting insurance isn’t the easiest of thing as I have seen on other pages.

if you need more answer just ask.
I have about a month before I have to move, I thought I would have more time to plan
Gbrod is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 5:47 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,035
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
This will be a proper Canadian working holiday that you will remember.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 5:49 pm
  #8  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,035
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by Gbrod View Post


thank you for replying and yeah It’s broad thing so I kind of guessed people were gonna ask questions so answer them to get closer to what to I’m looking for.

mainly English speaking if possible but i know so parts of Canada are french so would try to avoid this if possible.

I’m literally open to anything I don’t mind working with people but at the same time if solo work in the mountains is there I wouldn’t mind that either.

cold I am fine with harsh winters and I understand that they can get real bad but I’m up for that challenge if it comes.

i do driver and I am coming over with some money to look at purchasing a car but I understand that getting insurance isn’t the easiest of thing as I have seen on other pages.

if you need more answer just ask.
I have about a month before I have to move, I thought I would have more time to plan
OK, so English speaking and you don't mind cold........narrowed it down to maybe 80% of the country.

What kind of job will you be looking for? And any answers to my questions above? Do you have a rough budget in mind for your 1 bed apartment? Prices will vary hugely depending on where you go so that may help narrow things down quite a bit.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:08 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
OK, so English speaking and you don't mind cold........narrowed it down to maybe 80% of the country.

What kind of job will you be looking for? And any answers to my questions above? Do you have a rough budget in mind for your 1 bed apartment? Prices will vary hugely depending on where you go so that may help narrow things down quite a bit.
Okay for apartment I’m looking for this sort of thing.
Looking for an apartment 1 bed no more than $1000, roughly . Doesn’t have to be in a city center , a medium town near a city would be ideal.

job wise it will almost anything that doesn’t consist of working behind a desk as I have worked so many different jobs I have useful skills but no qualifications to back a lot of thing which put that in a difficult situation. So kind of place that offers a lot of labour work really Ideal.

This is gonna sound almost as stupid as most things I have written 😂😂 but somewhere that’s just different from any where else , that has different things happening all the time
Gbrod is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:11 pm
  #10  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,035
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Okay, that budget is certainly going to rule out places like Vancouver or Toronto. Maybe have a look at the Atlantic provides? If you're not after a buzzing city then that could work.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:14 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Okay, that budget is certainly going to rule out places like Vancouver or Toronto. Maybe have a look at the Atlantic provides? If you're not after a buzzing city then that could work.

Good luck.
im bring roughly $12k to help start but I’m not sure how much I’m gonna spend on renting and a car. Cities I don’t mind but I’m not sure I would have skills to work in a city , I could always try as for the first few weeks when I come over it will be spent in hotels so can always travel around that province.
Gbrod is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:31 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 76
DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by Gbrod View Post


im bring roughly $12k to help start but I’m not sure how much I’m gonna spend on renting and a car. Cities I don’t mind but I’m not sure I would have skills to work in a city , I could always try as for the first few weeks when I come over it will be spent in hotels so can always travel around that province.

Sorry to be negative but $12k won't last long if you're gonna spend the first weeks in an hotel..
We spend a lot of time in Oakville for work and it's about $250 a night for a double..
DMajor is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:35 pm
  #13  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 16,423
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Most apartment rentals (which are generally unfurnished) are for a minimum of 1 year, so perhaps that isn't the best plan if you want to travel around. Furnished shorter term lets tend to be very expensive. You may be better looking at shared accommodation or even hostels temporarily (they would also give you the opportunity to meet people). Another option might be Homestay - where you can 'rent a room' for days / weeks at a time and they tend to be cheaper than AirBnB as you are staying with people rather than getting the whole place. https://www.homestay.com/

Is it your plan to apply for Permanent Residency in Canada at the end of your temporary work permit? Asking as if it is, then you may need to get a permanent job to enable you to claim extra points for Canadian Experience.

I live in the City of Hamilton (which isn't big - about the size of a large town) about an hour from Toronto - plenty of public transit both for getting around the city and to other parts (including Toronto).. rentals range from $850 for a bachelor/studio apartment - although some go for more .. it's like a bed sit but with your own bathroom and kitchen; to $1250 for a small 1 bed.. better areas / facilities the prices are higher.

Personally I wouldn't worry about buying a vehicle - it would be cheaper for your to rent one when you need it - for going out of town or similar - if you are living somewhere there is public transit .

I'd recommend getting a servers license (yes, working behind a bar in most Provinces in Canada requires you to have a license!) for one of the Provinces, so you know you should be able to find work somewhere if you get stuck.. or even a job in the mountains if you are hoping to go to a ski resort. If that is your aim then the sooner you start looking for work the better - most of the Ski resorts start recruiting in the summer for the winter.

For working.. are you thinking of labourer jobs or driving jobs or working in construction or in a warehouse or factory or something? What about farm work or similar? The kind of work you want / can do will determine which Provinces are likely to have more jobs.


Originally Posted by DMajor View Post
Sorry to be negative but $12k won't last long if you're gonna spend the first weeks in an hotel..
We spend a lot of time in Oakville for work and it's about $250 a night for a double..
Hotels/Motels can be booked from $70 to $140 a night around these parts! - I suggest you look at Priceline or Trevago because $250 a night at this time of year in Oakville is a rip off, something you would expect to pay for NY eve or similar!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 5th 2019 at 6:49 pm.
Siouxie is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:35 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Originally Posted by DMajor View Post
Sorry to be negative but $12k won't last long if you're gonna spend the first weeks in an hotel..
We spend a lot of time in Oakville for work and it's about $250 a night for a double..
theres things calles hostels, which only cost around 250-300 a week so I know I can spend a few weeks on that because I have already looked that over in a lot of cities.
Gbrod is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2019, 6:48 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 7
Gbrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with no plans

Yeah i see your point its better to share a place with someone because its cheaper and unsure of the position. that I will look into more then.

for the moment its a work and travel visa 2 years. I have decided on if i'm going to stay at the end or not as that's part of why i'm going over there, if something did come up and was great opportunity then I would apply to stay if that's an option.

Toronto Sounds like a good place to start, are there like a lot of wide job opportunities there ?.

can you rent by day or week ? and if do you know how much that roughly is a day because if that comes with insurance it sounds like less hastle.

so ski resort work do you need a certain license other than the servers and what type of jobs go at the resorts?

thank you for taking the time to write that and help it is much appreciated
Gbrod is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.