Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things that are more expensive in Canada....

Things that are more expensive in Canada....

Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:22 pm
Robin

rlogan will become famous soon enoughrlogan will become famous soon enough
Default Things that are more expensive in Canada....

..where I live anyway.

1) Car insurance. Horrible.
2) Dairy Produce. I use organic milk and pay $3.25 a litre. I guess it EU subsidies that makes the difference.

Cant think of anything else!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things that are more expensive in Canada....

Originally Posted by rlogan
..where I live anyway.

2) Dairy Produce. I use organic milk and pay $3.25 a litre. I guess it EU subsidies that makes the difference.

nuts are so expensive lol, what a life but its true
Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

..where I live anyway.

What about cheese? In Ontario at least it is almost a delicacy.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 3:21 pm
Robin

Yes, cheese - included in dairy products.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Breakfast cereals are really expensive i find. Although the cheapest place i've bought them is Walmart.

Fresh Chicken breast fillets and Lamb are extortionate (and not much lamb around, hence the price i guess). But then Beef and Pork are cheap.

Cheese, Yoghurt, Biscuits (cookies) any kind of sausage. all rediculosly expensive. I spend SO much more here on groceries than i ever did in Tescos. There aren't many cheaper alternatives to things.

Yes and car insurance here too.

Mobile phone bills - i had to go on contract whereas i had pay as you go in the UK. They're very behind here on that score.

Last edited by joelsa; Aug 26th 2007 at 5:32 pm. Reason: to add
Old Aug 26th 2007, 4:56 pm
Robin

Bread.
I dont know how conventional Mothers Pride stuff is in comparison but quality organic bread is $$$$. One local bakery, wood fired, hand made, organic etc etc - very nice bread but $6.60 a loaf!
Old Aug 26th 2007, 5:01 pm
Robin

The following are interesting. The Big Mac Index shows only the Scandinavian countries and Siwitzerland more expensive than Britain

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/16/news/funny/latteindex/

http://www.economist.com/markets/ind...ory_id=8649005
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Bread.
I dont know how conventional Mothers Pride stuff is in comparison but quality organic bread is $$$$. One local bakery, wood fired, hand made, organic etc etc - very nice bread but $6.60 a loaf!
What about taxes, chutneys, and pork pies. A chutney that cost 99P in the UK costs $4.99 here - or have I been out of the UK too long? Booze in restaurants is also a big expense here (at least it is in Ontario) as result of taxes upon taxes. When I go to Swiss Chalet and order a $10 chicken dinner for 2, I always seem to end up walking out with a bill for $60.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

..where I live anyway.

Is car insurance that much more or is it just that you have no "Canadian" history.

I'm curious because so many things affect your rates, most obvious is your history of claims, your driving record, whether you drive to work or not, if you live in a major city, which city etc, etc.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Is car insurance that much more or is it just that you have no "Canadian" history.

I'm curious because so many things affect your rates, most obvious is your history of claims, your driving record, whether you drive to work or not, if you live in a major city, which city etc, etc.
Mine is cheaper for a more valuable car ( with UK history )
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:05 pm
Robin

I live in a rural place, dont drive to work, am now 50 years old, have a 9 year old car and have lived in Canada for 3 years with a clean history and pay $1650 a year - go figure. I think I was paying about one third that in the UK for a new car.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

ejbsom is an unknown quantity at this point

what about things like gas electric water rates, are they more or again is there a difference depending on where you live. i know obviously how big your property is etc. i live in a 4 bed terraced house here in uk and i pay about £65 each for gas and electric per month. water rates are about £25. does canada have tv licence if so how much is that? as with car insurance if you have no claims for house ins would you save on that as well or am i just hoping
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ejbsom
what about things like gas electric water rates, are they more or again is there a difference depending on where you live. i know obviously how big your property is etc. i live in a 4 bed terraced house here in uk and i pay about £65 each for gas and electric per month. water rates are about £25. does canada have tv licence if so how much is that? as with car insurance if you have no claims for house ins would you save on that as well or am i just hoping

There's no tv license. Most people pay for a cable service, $50 or more per month.

All alcohol is expensive in Ontario. Fuller's London Pride is $2.75 for the half liter can, Greene King Abbot Ale is slightly cheaper at $2.35. There is very little in the way of wine for less than $15 a bottle, restaurant mark up is typically 100% so a bottle that would be $5 at a US discount wine store is $30 at the table here.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:11 pm
Robin

Originally Posted by ejbsom

Can only help a bit here. Own well so no water rates. No gas, everything electric including cooking and hot water - average monthly bill......equivalent of 30 pounds so thers a big saving. Property tax about 65 pounds a month. No TV licence , we pay about 30 pounds a month for a good package including movies etc.

Its worth remembering that the car insurance quoted here includes ALL you pay for your vehicle, none of the extra Road Tax or whatever it is called that you pay in the UK. So maybe the difference isnt that big, especially when you take gas prices into consideration.

I used to pay a fortune for car servicing in the UK. Here a lubrication service that includes comprehensive inspection plus oil and filters is $29.95. I dont know how they do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.