Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Things to do and places to see in Ottawa?

Things to do and places to see in Ottawa?

Old May 30th 2012, 11:19 am
Just Joined

lional143 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to do and places to see in Ottawa?

Hi All!

I will be in Ottawa tomorrow and the day after. Could you please tell some of the best places to see and things to do in Ottawa? I understand that the Tulip Festival and Parliament Hill tours are a few must-do's. But I dont know how the tulip festival works and if there are any particular gardens which need to be seen or are there tulips all over the city?

Also any suggestions about off-the-beaten-path things/places in Ottawa are highly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 30th 2012 at 11:53 am. Reason: Link removed
Old May 30th 2012, 11:52 am
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do and places to see in Ottawa?

Tulips are in most of the well kept parks downtown and also Dows lake,byward Market is great for restaurants,deli's and fresh produce,and the famous beaver tail!
shopping at the Rideau centre and again Byward market is good
Old May 30th 2012, 12:17 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lional143
Hi All!

I will be in Ottawa tomorrow and the day after. Could you please tell some of the best places to see and things to do in Ottawa? I understand that the Tulip Festival and Parliament Hill tours are a few must-do's. But I dont know how the tulip festival works and if there are any particular gardens which need to be seen or are there tulips all over the city?

Also any suggestions about off-the-beaten-path things/places in Ottawa are highly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
I think the tulip festival finished a week ago.

The Byward market is always good for a poke-around, for an hour or two. I can't comment on the Parliament tour, having never done it. You could take a river cruise (not canal cruise) from down by the locks (next to the Chateau Laurier). I think the Museum of Civilisation is also pretty good but I've only seen bits of it. If you have wheels, cross the river and explore Gatineau Park. Maybe also follow the Gatineau River up to Wakefield. Gorgeous countryside and very different to the Ontario side.

Bear in mind that it is meant to piss down tomorrow and Friday.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:29 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Do you have wheels?

I like the Aviation museum. There is lots of museums, the Diefenbunker is also out on the West side.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I think the tulip festival finished a week ago..
We were there two weeks ago and the tulips were about done then. I suspect there is little to see now.

+1 for Byward market and the river cruise.

I also wanted to go to the War Museum but that was less practical with a 3 year old and a 4 month old.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:42 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We were there two weeks ago and the tulips were about done then. I suspect there is little to see now.

I also wanted to go to the War Museum but that was less practical with a 3 year old and a 4 month old.
The War Museum is good, although the unwary would not know that there are two bits to it. There is the main bit and another section where they have the tanks etc. I went there a couple of years with my son and realised that we hadn't seen the tanks. I knew they were there somewhere because that section is also used for receptions and I'd been to one. You could quite easily miss the best bit of the museum, if you didn't pay attention.

I've been talking with the museum. My family has something they want, badly.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Parliament tour, 'History' museum, City tour bus, Natural History museum ??

I think that's what we did in a couple of days there ( and found a decent chinese restaurant too ).

We liked Ottawa.
Old May 30th 2012, 1:00 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

If you have young kids the science and tech museum is great but you will need wheels as its 15 mins drive from downtown Ottawa
Old May 30th 2012, 1:20 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

A bit off-topic but the background to the tulip festival is quite interesting. It's an ongoing thank-you from the Dutch. Canadians, particularly Canadian soldiers, are more than slightly popular in the Netherlands.

It's a bit like the Trafalgar Square Xmas tree (gift from Norway).
Old May 30th 2012, 1:42 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
A bit off-topic but the background to the tulip festival is quite interesting. It's an ongoing thank-you from the Dutch. Canadians, particularly Canadian soldiers, are more than slightly popular in the Netherlands.

It's a bit like the Trafalgar Square Xmas tree (gift from Norway).
Yes, read some of that at the tulip festival t'other week.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:15 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Also to add to the loot....museum of civilization, currency museum, gatineau park (I know it's across the river), calypso waterpark
Old May 30th 2012, 6:51 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Also to add to the loot....museum of civilization
That was the one I was trying to think of.