Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary to UK then Spain for next year

Calgary to UK then Spain for next year

Old May 30th 2012, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

datitmarsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary to UK then Spain for next year

I go over to England/North Wales each year around this time (just came back) and stay with my Mum. I was hoping that this time next year we might include a week in Spain (and the other week at my Mum's) She will probably book the hotel etc. but we will need to book Calgary to Manchester flights which aren't out yet. The question I have, is that my daughter would also like to join us for the Spain part of the trip so would want to go somehow from Calgary to Girona return. I can't find this as a direct flight. Does anyone know what the cheapest way to do that would be.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calgary to UK then Spain for next year

Originally Posted by datitmarsh
I go over to England/North Wales each year around this time (just came back) and stay with my Mum. I was hoping that this time next year we might include a week in Spain (and the other week at my Mum's) She will probably book the hotel etc. but we will need to book Calgary to Manchester flights which aren't out yet. The question I have, is that my daughter would also like to join us for the Spain part of the trip so would want to go somehow from Calgary to Girona return. I can't find this as a direct flight. Does anyone know what the cheapest way to do that would be.
Cheapest/quickest way is still probably via Manchester.
Old May 30th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

So best thing do you think would be to just get return flight from Calgary to Manchester, then package deal including flights Manchester to Girona?
Old May 30th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an example of fare varience from this month on Star Alliance....for travel with same out-back travel dates from Ottawa to Vienna and return:

Option 1 - Air Canada/Lufthansa code share:

Outbound: Ottawa to Toronto (Air Canada) - Toronto to Munich (Air Canada) - Munich to Vienna (Lufthansa).

Return- Vienna to Frankfurt (Lufthansa), Frankfurt to Ottawa (Air Canada).

Ticket quote $1457 Cdn

Option 2 - Austrian ticket in entirety operated by AC and Lufthansa and Austrian.

Outbound: Ottawa to Toronto (Austrian operated by Air Canada) - Toronto to Munich (Austrian operated by Air Canada) - Munich to Vienna (Austrian operated Lufthansa). Same aircraft all the way.

Return - Vienna to London (Austrian), London to Ottawa (Austrian operated by Air Canada).

Ticket cost $961 Cdn. Required an early rise in Vienna (0430), a 5 hour layover at Heathrow, similar afternoon arrival time into Ottawa.

Try that getting to Spain....AC as your main Carrier or ticketed by someone else. There are a few downsides - but if saving money is your game, this approach is worth a look. Knowing booking classes on the various airlines can help alot.

Good luck....AS

Last edited by airbornesapper; May 30th 2012 at 8:59 pm.
Old May 30th 2012, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your input - I can see that a bit of online detective work is what's needed here.