British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/things-cheaper-uk-vs-canada-893836/)

DandNHill Apr 7th 2017 1:06 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12223005)
Same here for a decent one. My daughter can wear the $10 Kmart ones, but unfortunately I've been "blessed" with massive knockers.


When you're an E/F a good bra is a must. Unfortunately decent support comes with a price tag to match.

I have similar issues but surprisingly I bought some in Walmart recently for $17. They seem to fit nicely! Usually I wouldn't even consider bras there.

Dorothy Apr 7th 2017 1:46 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12223403)
I have similar issues but surprisingly I bought some in Walmart recently for $17. They seem to fit nicely! Usually I wouldn't even consider bras there.

I bought one at Walmart in Buffalo that I like when we were over last year . Kicking myself for not buying a few since it was about $15.

rivingtonpike Apr 7th 2017 3:22 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12223414)
I bought one at Walmart in Buffalo that I like when we were over last year . Kicking myself for not buying a few since it was about $15.

How did this get to be about bras? Can we get back to the matters in hands?

bats Apr 7th 2017 3:40 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12222663)
I saw them at $0.75 I think a couple of days ago. Must be warmer here than your way bats!!


I spotted some in Giant Tiger today for 99c. What a bargain.

Former Lancastrian Apr 7th 2017 9:19 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 12223449)
How did this get to be about bras? Can we get back to the matters in hands?

Well they did post those replies with the breast of intentions.

Dorothy Apr 7th 2017 9:38 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12223580)
Well they did post those replies with the breast of intentions.

Here's a pair of great tits for you

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...y-Feb-2013.jpg

hannah1001 May 8th 2017 10:59 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 
Great to see a few other horsey folks on here! Several of you have said horses are cheaper in Canada - is this true (I hope so!)? From what I've seen on the Internet horses seem pretty pricey but I'm hoping it's not a real reflection of the market! We're moving to BC in August- is it worth shipping rugs and tack out, and should I stock up on boots and jodhpurs to bring over or buy new in Canada?

dbd33 May 9th 2017 12:12 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by hannah1001 (Post 12248076)
Great to see a few other horsey folks on here! Several of you have said horses are cheaper in Canada - is this true (I hope so!)? From what I've seen on the Internet horses seem pretty pricey but I'm hoping it's not a real reflection of the market! We're moving to BC in August- is it worth shipping rugs and tack out, and should I stock up on boots and jodhpurs to bring over or buy new in Canada?

I don't think horses themselves are cheaper in Canada. They cost from $750 for a newly retired racehorse upwards, once you get into the tens of thousands then they may be purchased from Europe anyway. What I think is cheaper is board, not at an A circuit barn, but in general.

I suspect tack is cheaper, that should be easy to compare Horseware Ireland and Shires products are sold here and there, both are premium brands here, blankets of similar quality made locally are offered at a little over half the price. Quality tack brands probably unfamiliar to you include Brubachers and Ger-Ryan.

For your browsing and comparing pleasure, these are tack shops with aggressive pricing, not in BC admittedly:

Brubacher's Harness Supplies and Tack Shop, Wallenstein Ontario

https://www.pleasantridge.ca/

Bahr Saddlery Tack Equestrian Store Horse Supplies Equipment Saddles Bridles Apparel Breeches

hannah1001 May 9th 2017 6:28 am

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12248107)
I don't think horses themselves are cheaper in Canada. They cost from $750 for a newly retired racehorse upwards, once you get into the tens of thousands then they may be purchased from Europe anyway. What I think is cheaper is board, not at an A circuit barn, but in general.

I suspect tack is cheaper, that should be easy to compare Horseware Ireland and Shires products are sold here and there, both are premium brands here, blankets of similar quality made locally are offered at a little over half the price. Quality tack brands probably unfamiliar to you include Brubachers and Ger-Ryan.

For your browsing and comparing pleasure, these are tack shops with aggressive pricing, not in BC admittedly:

Brubacher's Harness Supplies and Tack Shop, Wallenstein Ontario

https://www.pleasantridge.ca/

Bahr Saddlery Tack Equestrian Store Horse Supplies Equipment Saddles Bridles Apparel Breeches

Ooh thank you... horsey shopping heaven 😊

Howefamily May 9th 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by hannah1001 (Post 12248248)
Ooh thank you... horsey shopping heaven 😊

Another popular one at our barn is www.horseloverz.com but the shipping to Canada is $22.99 :huh:
Its a US site and has some great flash sales

BristolUK May 9th 2017 3:29 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 12248605)
but the shipping to Canada is $22.99 ...

By air mail?

http://www.doktorsnake.com/wp-conten...ying-horse.jpg

:lol:

Howefamily May 9th 2017 7:26 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12248688)

love it

Paul_Shepherd May 16th 2017 6:00 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 12216348)
yeah a few, its a musical town, Irish bars, waterfront dancing, I think 3 large nightclubs. Its fun.


Yeah i have to say i did enjoy Halifax when i was there. Feels more like a big town than a city, way more friendly than your average big city. The upper deck is great for live bands!

Although I did go to a dodgy nightclub in Halifax - it was called Reflections I think....lets just say i was glad my girlfriend was accompanying me! lol It seemed it was a gay/mixed club, but there were quite some characters in there to put it mildly! One of them to took quite a shine to me..... ::eek::eek: we didnt stay too long after that. :rofl:

As for whats cheaper in UK than Canada.......Canadian Cheddar!! unbelievable really....I bought a block of Canadian cheddar in Sainsburys that was actually produced in Campbellford Ontario - just down the road from where i live, and i found it 3500miles away in the UK waaay cheaper than i can buy it here! Crazy!!! :ohmy::sneaky::(

dbd33 May 16th 2017 6:11 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12253936)
Yeah i have to say i did enjoy Halifax when i was there. Feels more like a big town than a city, way more friendly than your average big city. The upper deck is great for live bands!

Although I did go to a dodgy nightclub in Halifax - it was called Reflections I think....lets just say i was glad my girlfriend was accompanying me! lol It seemed it was a gay/mixed club, but there were quite some characters in there to put it mildly! One of them to took quite a shine to me..... ::eek::eek: we didnt stay too long after that. :rofl:

As for whats cheaper in UK than Canada.......Canadian Cheddar!! unbelievable really....I bought a block of Canadian cheddar in Sainsburys that was actually produced in Campbellford Ontario - just down the road from where i live, and i found it 3500miles away in the UK waaay cheaper than i can buy it here! Crazy!!! :ohmy::sneaky::(

Lower Deck, innit?

Paul_Shepherd May 16th 2017 6:17 pm

Re: Things that are cheaper in the UK vs Canada?
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12253943)
Lower Deck, innit?

is it? I cant remember too many ales at the time! :rofl:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.