Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

Judging by the slowing tempo of this forum could anyone say if there is still a number of people in U.K. eagerly awaiting their visas to move to Canada or are we seeing the end of the trend?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

There's nearly a five-year waiting list, if that's any help?

I would guess the insane wait has put off plenty of people who would otherwise be looking at emigrating.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

CrazyCal is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the long wait is off-putting for some but trust me there are still people like myself that cannot wait to move to Canada. I'd be there tomorrow if I could!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MarkG

I would guess the insane wait has put off plenty of people who would otherwise be looking at emigrating.
hi we are waiting for confirmation our application has been acepted , i am trying to come in via the investor route as i was told this is the quickest
but with 5 years being the norm! i am not sure how much quicker my application will be looked at .

i try to get on with life in the UK as wishing time away is not good for the hairline.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

DCuz99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CrazyCal
I think the long wait is off-putting for some but trust me there are still people like myself that cannot wait to move to Canada. I'd be there tomorrow if I could!
I second that. I would not turn my nose up if the fabled brown letter landed on my doorstep any time soon!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG

I suspect they just look at emigrating somewhere else instead.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes, there was an implied 'to Canada' on the end of that sentence .
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

It sure is a long wait. But to those who really want to move to Canada & it's their only way in, they are prepared to wait - that's what we're doing, we have a plot of land waiting for us & have a picture of it by the front door to remind us of what we have waiting, we also have family & friends waiting for us.

Hubby & I would love to go tomorrow - wouldn't we all

But waiting 4-5 years out of the rest of your life isn't very long.

Looking ahead it does seem an age away, but look back 4-5 years & it seems like a year or two ago.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe the waiting list is 5 years now a days. :scared: We send in our application for immigration in July 1999 and in Dec 1999 we've got our visas. Wonder what have changed over the past 5 years?
Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wonder what have changed over the past 5 years?
I'm not sure exactly how the system was in 1999, but compared to when I first started looking at emigrating around 2001 they've removed the variable points score by occupation, and they've biased the system towards couples. The former means that a lot more people qualify, and the latter means that more visas are given to people who wouldn't qualify if they applied individually themselves (e.g. unskilled husbands and young children).

They tried to limit the problems by having a high points score, but that disqualified most people who didn't have a job or relatives in Canada, so that wasn't a good move either.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

tom5sk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iaink
I think you are right, a report in in national papers was saying that about over 1000 Brits were emigrating each day but were being replaced by twice as many coming in from abroad (new EU countries etc)

As Canada only took just over 5000 last year a lot of our fellow rats have to escape elsewhere.

Just thankful it was only 2.5 year wait not the 5 faced by new applicants
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I expect the wait to get longer

The bias in government is toward encouraging the work visa route, and then encouraging (forcing) them to take PR later

that way the right jobs are filled and the highly qualified taxi drivers reduced

can't say I blame them
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
I can't believe the waiting list is 5 years now a days. :scared: We send in our application for immigration in July 1999 and in Dec 1999 we've got our visas. Wonder what have changed over the past 5 years?
I think (and I could be wrong) that in 2003 ish they put the points way up and didn't get enough applications (because not enough skilled workers could qualify) so then they reduced the points to what they are now and have been flooded with applications ever since. Hence the ever growing queue and ever lengthening wait times.

Penny
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CrazyCal
I think the 5 year wait is ridiculous and hope the immigration department will clean their act and their backlog in the near future. What attracts you to Canada so much, any particular reason, any particular city?.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think the best way to look at Canadian 'skilled worker' immigration is as a lottery: if you pick a 'winning ticket' you'll get a visa in under a year, if you pick a 'losing ticket' you'll wait five years and get denied because they just raised the points score or changed systems. If you pick something in between you'll get there eventually, but may have retired by the time you do so .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.