Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there still a mad rush for Canada in U.K.?

Originally Posted by MarkG
I think the best way to look at Canadian 'skilled worker' immigration is as a lottery: if you pick a 'winning ticket' you'll get a visa in under a year, if you pick a 'losing ticket' you'll wait five years and get denied because they just raised the points score or changed systems. If you pick something in between you'll get there eventually, but may have retired by the time you do so .
Nope, doesn't work like that at all.

If you land a job you might get here in a year, otherwise, take a number and wait in line. If you have the necessary points and pass the background / medical etc, then eventually you will be accepted...unless the points go up, in which case you are in the same boat as everyone else without a visa in their hand.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, doesn't work like that at all.
Yes it does. When I applied, people who'd applied a few months before were getting visas in a year or less. Mine will have taken the best part of three years, and if I'd applied a few years earlier I'd have been disqualified by the change of system (where I'd have gone from ten points above the required score to several points below).

There is simply no way of telling how long your application will take or whether it will be disqualified by a random change in the immigration system. It's a pure lottery based on when you apply and in what class.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does. When I applied, people who'd applied a few months before were getting visas in a year or less. Mine will have taken the best part of three years, and if I'd applied a few years earlier I'd have been disqualified by the change of system (where I'd have gone from ten points above the required score to several points below).

There is simply no way of telling how long your application will take or whether it will be disqualified by a random change in the immigration system. It's a pure lottery based on when you apply and in what class.
Thats simply not the case. People submitting well prepared application at the same time to the same station will in general be processed in a similar time.

If you forget something or they need to ask for more details / evidence, or look in more detail at your background, then that will cause you a delay, but all things being equal processing times dont vary by 4 years!

It sounds like you (and most everyone else who applied around that time) got caught up in the legal challenge that was brought after the points change, which resulted in CIC having to go back and reasses all the aplications from before the system change.

Until the point change to a higher number I think all bets are off as to how the minister decides to apply that to in process applications, although the law says that the new number applies to all in process applications, it might be a political hot potato to try and apply it in that way. There is nothing random about it, except that level of preparedness the applications come in with and how much more detail CIC have to go into.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 18th 2006 at 2:23 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Iaink on this one - it was a very long time ago that people were being processed in less than a year. So long ago that, had you applied then, you would have your visa by now.

I applied in June 2004 and have just received our visas. Skilled worker, no acceleration due to AEO etc. When we applied those that were receiving their visas then had been in the system for 18 months or so

As Andrew Miller has stated (negatively but truthfully) on the immigration forum. Immigration has nothing to do with the needs of the immigrants but with the needs of Canada. This needs to be accepted or the protester needs to apply elsewhere, where exactly the same "system" will be in place (insofar as that country's needs are concerning) albeit under a different system, an individual may be processed quicker.

I know of a police officer that obtained his visas the same day that I did. He had applied through Alberta PNP and his entire application took less than 6 months - I doubt that, if he had wanted to, he would have been processed by Australia any quicker
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Immigration has nothing to do with the needs of the immigrants but with the needs of Canada.
I don't think that holds at all. Immigration is allowed or disallowed by politicians and it's administered by bureaucrats; the needs of Canada counts for as little as the needs of the immigrants.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
I applied in June 2004 and have just received our visas. Skilled worker, no acceleration due to AEO etc. When we applied those that were receiving their visas then had been in the system for 18 months or so

Sounds like you were in the same timeframe as us. We lodged our application in July 2004 and received visas for skilled worker application in October.
It was a straightforward application, i.e no requests for further information or interviews just med requests and then passport requests.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that holds at all. Immigration is allowed or disallowed by politicians and it's administered by bureaucrats; the needs of Canada counts for as little as the needs of the immigrants.
And it's hard to see how lowering the skill bar and letting a 4-5 year queue build up can have anything to do with the "best interests of Canada".
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Gezza
Judging by the slowing tempo of this forum could anyone say if there is still a number of people in U.K. eagerly awaiting their visas to move to Canada or are we seeing the end of the trend?
We are waiting to move to Vancouver Island thru PNP. im afraid i wouldnt fancy waiting the 5 years, good on the people that do. I think they are brave, its killing me waiting to get out to Canada now and our wait is less than a year, so you can understand why people wont want to apply if it takes that long.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 5:24 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

When I applied last August, I was advised that the wait time was minimum 42 months (3.5 years). I was happy with that at the time, as actually not having to go straight away quite suits me at the moment. As time has passed, however, I'm kind of wishing I'd got my act together and submitted the forms a year earlier, as was the original plan. However, that year was spent doing lots of research and getting all of our documents together to make sure that we missed nothing out, plus I had another year's work experience under my belt as well by then, so it wasn't entirely wasted time.

Initially we are headed for Vancouver, but we're actually really flexible and open to going to all sorts of places. I'm hoping to visit a few other places this year and in subsequent years, so my plan of living in a Yaletown loft could well morph into living in a log cabin in sunny Nunavut by the time this thing becomes a reality (if it does, of course).

We're both still young and have no dependents, so we're ok to wait, and see a bit more of Europe while we do!
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

marsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nice

we got our police checks from here and the ukraine (wifes country). then realised the wait was huge. decided to put things on hold. also want to have kids so will do this first here. also set up a website with a partner. if this is a goer then we may take it over to canada in the future to attack the US market. the site is based around helping local communities communicate better. its called whosyourneighbour.co.uk. we go live officially in january, but it is working at the moment. we have very few members, but here's hoping.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

5 years is a long time. You never know what can happen in that time. Fortunately there are other options. E.g. Study permits, work permits,Bunac, PNP, Quebec. I even have one friend who got a job with a large multinational and then got transfered.

So it's not so much of a mad rush as carefully thought out plans. One size does not fit all.

If I was facing a 5 year wait, I'd just apply and forget about it for the first 3 or so years rather than spend 5 years posting on british expats from the UK (That would be too soul destroying).

Our current plan is to pass our french exams next June and be in Quebec by the following spring. We could do it sooner, but what's the rush?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Veelivar is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied in Feb 05 and got a letter through saying to expect to hear somthing in 24 months. So we are waiting till March to see what happens. Hopefully we will hear somthing about that time even if it's to say it will be delayed...

So here we are still waiting...

Dan.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:15 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by britsnake

If I was facing a 5 year wait, I'd just apply and forget about it for the first 3 or so years
Again, I think the initial wait time is not 5 years, it's 3 and a half. Then I guess there are going to be delays tacked onto that, but even so, 5 years is not the starting point at this stage. I think you're right, though, you do have to just get on with your life for the first few years, but still have your plans in the back of your mind. This is really easy, although I admit that there are times when you're really not quite sure what to do... like at the moment, I'm looking at buying a new bed, and it hit me that it might be the last one I ever buy in the UK (beds are expensive!). It's the same with buying a car. You can't build your life around any certainty of actually going to Canada, but you can't rule it out entirely either!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Ascensionite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
When I applied last August, I was advised that the wait time was minimum 42 months (3.5 years). I was happy with that at the time, as actually not having to go straight away quite suits me at the moment. As time has passed, however, I'm kind of wishing I'd got my act together and submitted the forms a year earlier, as was the original plan. However, that year was spent doing lots of research and getting all of our documents together to make sure that we missed nothing out, plus I had another year's work experience under my belt as well by then, so it wasn't entirely wasted time.

Initially we are headed for Vancouver, but we're actually really flexible and open to going to all sorts of places. I'm hoping to visit a few other places this year and in subsequent years, so my plan of living in a Yaletown loft could well morph into living in a log cabin in sunny Nunavut by the time this thing becomes a reality (if it does, of course).

We're both still young and have no dependents, so we're ok to wait, and see a bit more of Europe while we do!
Hi,

We applied in August 2005, via the skilled worker route and were told that the wait was over 3 years. My brother went in June this year after waiting 2 years, but he hasn't managed to find a job yet (in IT). In fact he's only had a few interviews and reckons that the Canadians want you to have Canadian experience. He's already packed his bags and is on his way back to UK.
My burning question is that if the Canadians are so deperate on wanting skilled workers, why do you need Canadain experience so badly. I know it's a chicken and egg situation, but my brother met many people who were well qualified in their own country but doing basic jobs in Canada - eg he met an English doctor working as a taxi driver, because he couldn't find relevant work.

Once our application was put in I was really excited about leaving the UK rat-race, but now my thoughts have changed, as being a Telecoms engineer with over 16 years experience, do I really want to go to Canada and struggle to find a job because I don't have the right "Canadian" experience.

There must be many people out there who have had this experience of struggling once they'd emigrated to Canada so I am looking forward to your replies.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ascensionite
My burning question is that if the Canadians are so deperate on wanting skilled workers, why do you need Canadain experience so badly.

There must be many people out there who have had this experience of struggling once they'd emigrated to Canada so I am looking forward to your replies.
There are lots of them and the above should not really come as a surprise to anyone that has researched the situation appropriately. At the end of the day you can either do all that you can to "ease" the difficulties you will face after landing before you have landed (getting "requalified" whilst waiting etc) or go over there, experience the above, bitch about it to anyone that will listen and go home 12 months later totally disillusioned with the whole thing.

I really do have little sympathy for those that do nothing and then complain about how their qualifications were not recognised and how they had to take jobs driving taxis.

It's just one more thing that one needs to take into account when deciding whether "Canada is for you"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.